Author Topic: 18" sycamore platter  (Read 3106 times)

theblindwoodturner

18" sycamore platter
« on: August 08, 2011, 07:39:52 PM »
Hey folks,

thought I'd put this up. Basically it was a road test of my lathe's power under load and at varying speeds for finish cuts.

This was originally an 18" x 2" thick sycamore stock which over a few hours has been transformed into a rather charming platter.

Cheers.

lew

Andy Coates

Re: 18" sycamore platter
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2011, 08:43:26 PM »
Thanks for posting, Lew. Good to see the lathe getting some use.

I'll probably get slated for this but...

whoever took the photo should have told you that the center of the platter had quite serious tool marks.

I know you can remove them because the other areas are clean on the picture.

theblindwoodturner

« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2011, 09:02:06 PM »
ah lol here's the laugh. this was also the demo of the simon hope tool. so I confess to getting used to a bowl gouge with a different grind and behaviour to what I'm used to.

The wall thickness is approx 3/8| however, as this was initially mounted on a faceplate, I had to use what screws I had laying around, which left a concern over screw penetration.

with the platter face, I had to be rather careful as to taking too much of a cut as I could hear a tone I knew to be a wall thickness discrepancy. So I attempted a fine scrape with the cutter which didn't work too well.

I didn't have my normal tooling for this job but as I now endorse Crown turning tools, I've placed an order for my new systems and now that I'm the proud owner and another promoter of the revolution hollower, I'd like to get this done again.

As I say, this was just a road test.

Since that road test, I mounted some heavy section wet wood on the lathe to test it's load. The oonly problem I had was my floor where the lathe wanted to lift now and again. I'm about to resolve this as soon as I'm ready and awake.

I had considered the use of my screw chuck with the C Jaws however, the screw was giving about 1-7/8" which would have caused a few concerns and a hole I didn't want. Supporting the platter between centres with drive and revolving centres would have had an adverse affect on turning the surfaces for mounting.

I have to admit, photo 2 of 3 is the shavings baby I mentioned on another thread. Congratulations, my left shoulder has given birth to a baby shavings person.

Platters to me are always a source of pleasure more than anything. I can work at pretty high speeds with certain tools and my preferred tools of the trade are a heavy duty dome scraper, a 3/4" or 2" bowl gouge for the bigger jobs, a bedan tool and a decent sanding system and sheer scraper.
I would love to get some more of this wood and turn a few high spec models.

an Idea I have is to mill some decoration inside the platter either side and then highlight the rim with a pyrography system with some feathering. then of course the sealing method. I normally use hard oil finish from Chestnut or if it's going to be sed for food, a few coats of food safe oil and buff to a perfect finish in both directions.

Finishing to me is one of those jobs I always take care and time to do. With this lathe, I have the advantage of full variable speed and reverse action so that sanding and polishing are done in both directions to highlight the features of the wood, depending on what species I work with. Grain has a tendency to show itself to my hands, so that I can get an interesting character to it.

I was demonstrating my turning work to a friend and he passed on the simon hope as a road test. It was interesting to find his reactions to my methods. I use methods which can frighten some folks and wouldn't advise until a turner is completely comfortable with eyes shut. That's how I teach.

anyway, Think I'm going to put my feet up. It's been a tiring day with a few challenges.

enjoy.

lew.....

P.S: If anyone has an interesting piece of wood and would love to see it turn into something unique from a blind turner's hands, P.M me and I'd be happy to turn something which would give you a new insight. lol

I have to admit...

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2011, 12:09:40 AM »

Stunning piece, Lewis, and a good run for the lathe, more than good action pictures too.  well done.

David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

theblindwoodturner

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2011, 08:07:32 AM »
cheers dave.

lew