Author Topic: Axminster Power Tools  (Read 5543 times)

thebowlerhattedturner

Axminster Power Tools
« on: February 12, 2011, 05:36:46 PM »
On Friday I broke the top guide on my band saw. Although not a make that Axminster keep in stock the technician new exactly what I was on about, looked at different makes and found one that might fit. This was at 12 midday. Today at 12 the part turned up, by half past it was fitted and I was back in production. How's that for service?
      I would like to say well done Axminster power tools, your service is certainly second to none. I am just sorry I didn't get the technician's name.
Regards
John

Offline BrianH

• gold
Re: Axminster Power Tools
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2011, 03:12:06 PM »
I have always found Axm to be all that you have described so I hate to be the one to say that I have uncovered an unfortunate chink in their rule book.
My Axm lathe stopped doing that going-round-and-round thing recently, so I packaged it's headstock up and sent it back for repair. While everyone there has been more than helpful throughout, it has been decreed that they will not fit non-standard parts, in spite of being unable to source a new inverter in less than 3 months. It looks now like I must pay to have the beast returned home before seeking another inverter provider/fitter, elsewhere.
Every silver lining has its own cloud, it seems!
Brian

Andy Coates

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2011, 05:34:09 PM »
Hello Brian,

Axminster may be obligated to only fit original spec as part of their retail deal.

In the same situation I'd call the guy here, http://www.drivesdirect.co.uk/ David if memory serves, tell him what the motor is and get a quote for an inverter. I think you find him better than most in every sense. I bought the inverter for the BIG lathe off him and his knowledge and expertise were frankly incredible. And the inverter was less than half what I'd been quoted elsewhere. Fitting is not a difficult job, and he will sit at the end of the phone and talk you though it if you're not confident.

Worth a try.

Offline BrianH

• gold
« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2011, 03:10:28 PM »
Thank you Andy, an e-mail is already on the way.
I have had further talks/contact with both Axm and two other inverter suppliers this morning. Axm have remained helpful and have slightly altered their stance from a flat no, to fitting an inverter supplied from elsewhere, to a reluctance to do so. Both the other suppliers asked for further technical info but both were fairly confident that an answer to my probs is at hand.
I'll keep you posted on further adventures
Tarra
Brian