Author Topic: Inspiring Potters video  (Read 5095 times)

Offline Mark Sanger

• platinum
    • Mark Sanger Web Site
Inspiring Potters video
« on: August 28, 2015, 09:37:56 AM »
We all push ourselves to get better in our turning, be it technique or design etc etc. This video was sent to me some time ago now, I thought I had posted it here, perhaps I have but can not find it. Any way no harm in making you aware of it again if indeed I did.

It shows Potters making beautiful forms and while not woodturning the skill level of these masters is a real pleasure to watch and some of the techniques used to embellish the forms we turners have stolen and used in our own way with rotary tools etc. 

Hopefully it you will find it as inspiring as I do every time I watch it.

Potters video

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
Re: Inspiring Potters video
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2015, 10:12:04 AM »
Yes, that is inspiring. Clearly these are all people who have practised their art/craft over a very long time, and the shapes and designs just seem to flow from their hands onto the items.

Just like in any other occupation, the true masters make it all look sooo easy.

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2015, 05:12:27 PM »
Fascinating, and I'm sure that you have shown it before as it was very familiar, but well worth seeing again. When You Yong Chul cut that pot into two, I thought to myself that he was going to make one of George's new bowls-on-a-stand!

On a more serious note, I can see definite connections, Mark, between the floral decorations on some of these pots and that which you use on your current WIP.

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Mark Sanger

• platinum
    • Mark Sanger Web Site
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2015, 05:49:11 PM »
Fascinating, and I'm sure that you have shown it before as it was very familiar, but well worth seeing again. When You Yong Chul cut that pot into two, I thought to myself that he was going to make one of George's new bowls-on-a-stand!

On a more serious note, I can see definite connections, Mark, between the floral decorations on some of these pots and that which you use on your current WIP.

Les

Hi Les

It is a great Video, no doubt at all my work is heavily influence by many aspects of Asian culture. My pots are more from The Japanese tea caddies that display the cherry blossom often, there is no doubt a cross over in cultures and it is interesting the influences that flow into each other, although very similar there are definite changes in the forms and designs the further east you go.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2015, 07:09:52 PM »
I've been photographing ceramics for their shape and creative effects, I've even collected a few and bought a book on ceramic design to try and understand something more about how they do what they do.

I had not thought to look for YouTube video of the work, I'll make time to watch some of those associated with your posting.

That was very inspiring Mark, thank you for posting.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Tom Sherman

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2015, 01:06:10 AM »
This is a very inspirational video, thanks for sharing Mark. I have seen it before but never tire of seeing masters at work.