Author Topic: Interesting woodturners blog  (Read 9104 times)

Offline Mark Sanger

• platinum
    • Mark Sanger Web Site
Interesting woodturners blog
« on: August 26, 2015, 09:04:33 AM »
Always interesting to see how others do it, take a look at this chap over the pond, gotta get me a workshop like this it is as big as the foot print of my house.  :)

Some interesting info and ideas too, not read it all but am enjoying it enough that I thought others may find it of interest also. blog here

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
Re: Interesting woodturners blog
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2015, 09:34:14 AM »
I've seen several such big workshops on various sites. I think the main difference here simply is that the US have a lot more space available than we do on this crowded island.

He's also got some interesting maths on his site: 1200/6 = 240. Not sure how that works, maybe he's worked out some hidden interest rate?

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2015, 09:50:11 AM »
Oh, and he has some interesting opinions. Such as "M33 is dead". Not surprising, given that the US and Burma are the only two countries in the world who have NOT signed up for the metric system. Still, a little outdated, me thinks.

Offline Graham

• platinum
  • Chairman. www.DidcotTurners.club
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2015, 10:35:45 AM »
Thats a really good site despite some ideas that don't seem correct on this side of the pond ( m33 is dead, Powermatic being different to Jet )
I like his obsession with the Powermatic/Jet 3520 though some of his comments make me smile. I am hopefully going to be trying out a Oneway tonight so I will see if his opinion on the Oneway Banjo being better than the 3520s is correct. Strangely he does;t comment on the crappy Jet 3520 Toolrests. ( I am swapping mine for Robusts )

I have bookmarked it for future reading.
Regards
Graham
I have learnt the first rule of woodturning.
The internal diameter should never exceed the external width.
Nor the internal depth, the external height.
Does that make me an expert now ?

Offline Dave Brookes

• bronze
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2015, 11:49:40 AM »
Have read part of his Blog but got frustrated and gave up due to needless spelling and grammatical errors, which for me, detracts from what has actually been written  Don't Americans use the 'spill chucker' in their software!
"Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen pounds nineteen shillings and six pence, result happiness."  (Wilkins Micawber)

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2015, 11:53:10 AM »
They don't need to, as they are the best in the world at everything, don't you know that?

Offline Mark Sanger

• platinum
    • Mark Sanger Web Site
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2015, 11:54:35 AM »
It is why I found it interesting. As with all blogs etc it is only peoples opinion based on their experiences and on occasions there may or may not be a slight lean towards a certain company for business reasons. This aside I have spent quite a bit of time in America in a previous life and they generally like their own manufactured products over those from abroad as they are very patriotic and like to buy from their own country, a trait I admire as in the UK we are generally interested in the cheapest option which normally but not exclusively comes from China.

If we had been a little more patriotic in the UK over the years then we might not have given away all of our products to other countries and lost much of our identity, but that is another story.  :) :)

But I think there is some good stuff in this blog, perhaps, that I will find useful.

Offline Graham

• platinum
  • Chairman. www.DidcotTurners.club
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2015, 11:58:57 AM »
Have read part of his Blog but got frustrated and gave up due to needless spelling and grammatical errors, which for me, detracts from what has actually been written  Don't Americans use the 'spill chucker' in their software!
Did it grow very old, very fast ?
( those that read it will understand )
Regards
Graham
I have learnt the first rule of woodturning.
The internal diameter should never exceed the external width.
Nor the internal depth, the external height.
Does that make me an expert now ?

Offline Mark Sanger

• platinum
    • Mark Sanger Web Site
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2015, 11:59:48 AM »
I have many woodturning friends from America, Australia, Germany, Spain, etc etc etc and I have found that we all have our strengths and weeknesses. Personally I am not concerned with a few gramaticalls and spilling irrors as I ain't no good at it myself,  :) :) I am more interested in what someone else has to say and what I can learn from it, but then my inglish teacher always said I would never do well in anything.  :)

Offline Dave Brookes

• bronze
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2015, 12:10:16 PM »
Why is it that some teachers can see into the future!
(Don't lead with your chin Mark! Hahaha)
"Annual income twenty pounds, annual expenditure nineteen pounds nineteen shillings and six pence, result happiness."  (Wilkins Micawber)

Offline rick_dobney

• bronze
    • Rick Dobney Woodturning
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2015, 01:00:54 PM »
I've had a cursory flick through the blog over lunch today. Ignore the grammatical errors and 'American English' that I detest so much in my IT world and you'll find a few insights, ideas and perfectly valid points of view irrespective of which bank of the pond you sit upon. If you glean only one tip from a half an hours' browsing then surely that's time well spent.

Makes me wonder how he finds time to use all this kit though having such an extensive blog and web site  ??? ??? (yes I know the blog dates back to January 2013)

Cheers
Rick

Offline Mark Sanger

• platinum
    • Mark Sanger Web Site
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2015, 03:28:39 PM »
Why is it that some teachers can see into the future!
(Don't lead with your chin Mark! Hahaha)

:) :) :) :) ha ha Dave, if only humor was like red wine  :) :) :) :) :)

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2015, 05:20:57 PM »
I looked at his gallery. For someone with all the toys, he makes a few (much the same) plaques.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2015, 06:12:02 PM »
I started looking at it then could not be bothered .

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline Mark Sanger

• platinum
    • Mark Sanger Web Site
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2015, 06:28:36 PM »
I started looking at it then could not be bothered .

Regards George

that's your problem, what's your name 'Kevin' from 'Harry Enfield'  :)
« Last Edit: August 27, 2015, 08:48:54 AM by Mark Sanger »