Author Topic: A small Plate  (Read 2626 times)

Offline Katchin

• bronze
A small Plate
« on: August 07, 2011, 03:12:33 PM »
Just turned this, not positive of the wood type as it was part of a box of blanks I bought that were unnamed. Not turned a plate/platter before, would be interested in trying a larger one sometime. Is larger easier or harder?
Sanded, then 50/50 sander sealer and thinner, then chestnut wheel buffed.
John Simon Lawrenson

theblindwoodturner

Re: A small Plate
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2011, 03:28:38 PM »
Smaller platters are easy enough to make, larger platters do require that little extra attention. there's several factors to consider including overall thickness and form as well as the stresses created when turning a piece. I produced a short while ago a sycamore platter  measuring 18" diameter which took a while to turn from an 18" x 2" blank. getting the foot and  recess was fine, finishing wasn't a problem but when it came to the platter face, after a while of scraping and cutting, it had a slight issue of wanting to curl even with a 1/2in wall thickness.

I would say, give larger platters a try and enjoy yourself.

I've every confidence that you can turn what your mind puts to you.  I can happily give some advice on  good turning methods, ideas and interpreting ideas to production as well as your market so see this as a good chance to go for it. Sorry I can't comment on photos lol but I reckon you've got a good piece. Call it a blind turner's intuition lol.

have fun.

lew

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2011, 06:22:43 PM »
Nice platter,

the grain pattern makes it look like Iroko or one of the other 'alternative teak' tropical woods.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2011, 03:53:03 AM »

John, such a nice plate, like the wide rim, works well to show the grain, well done, nice to see you've not given in,  keep turning and go for that large one.

David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''