Author Topic: Simple Cabinet Feet  (Read 5177 times)

Offline Steve Jones

• gold
    • the woodturners
Simple Cabinet Feet
« on: August 11, 2015, 09:40:30 AM »
This morning I have been making cabinet feet.
This sort of job is the bread and butter type work for a production turner. It shows the skills of speed and accuracy that are required.
It certainly isn't like producing superb art turning like so many on this forum but it is the art of woodturning from a past era that lives on in only a few workshops now.
It may not interest you but it is only just over 3 mins long so have a quick peep.

http://youtu.be/Q6XaeYLirOU

Offline Graham

• platinum
  • Chairman. www.DidcotTurners.club
Re: Simple Cabinet Feet
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2015, 10:06:26 AM »
It may not be art but great skill like that should not be allowed to become 'lost'

A good video, thanks for showing it.
Regards
Graham
I have learnt the first rule of woodturning.
The internal diameter should never exceed the external width.
Nor the internal depth, the external height.
Does that make me an expert now ?

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2015, 10:21:03 AM »
Most of us who turn full time have to do the 'ordinairy' pieces though perhaps not all of us with Steves skill. Sometimes the basic turning skills get a bit forgotten so it is good to see them here. This was a pair of georgian style pedestals I did for a customer in walnut. 30" long and max. dia. of 15". hardest part was getting them to look the same. be interesting to see what others have had to make. This was a photo I sent to the customer prior to finishing them off, it took another couple of hours to get them looking right.

Pete
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 10:23:16 AM by bodrighywood »
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2015, 03:14:55 PM »
where did you get 15" diameter walnut, or is it laminated?

we all need to do the simple jobs to keep us going and personally i enjoy them as it gives me a break from skittles.

the oar handles are a good earner and the other commissions pay fairly well i find.

i made 6 finials for an outside bridge in ipe.

the table legs were joined by the customer out of high quality pine and weighed a fair bit.

Offline Steve Jones

• gold
    • the woodturners
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2015, 03:52:32 PM »
Thanks Graham.
It's nice to see some trade work on here.
Pete  bet that walnut was not cheap
« Last Edit: August 11, 2015, 04:52:17 PM by Steve Jones »

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2015, 07:48:49 PM »
Steve,

fascinated to see you using the Skew width as a measure.

The speed and accuracy of your work is still amazing to watch. Please keep posting these videos.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Steve Jones

• gold
    • the woodturners
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2015, 08:55:07 PM »
Thanks Dr4g0nfly,
Using the tools as measuring gauges are one of the first short cuts I was taught to speed everything up.
My Grandad would drum it into me, piece work meant the faster you turn, as long as it was accurate, the more you earn.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2015, 09:29:13 PM »
The walnut was three pieces laminated and provided by the customer. It was oversized fortunately as when I started turning |I foud that it hadn't been cut accurately and there was a void between the sections on one end. Oh dear, meant I had to find some use for about 12" of walnut 15" diameter. Life can be so cuel LOL.

pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2015, 09:28:43 AM »
Thanks Dr4g0nfly,
Using the tools as measuring gauges are one of the first short cuts I was taught to speed everything up.
My Grandad would drum it into me, piece work meant the faster you turn, as long as it was accurate, the more you earn.

Very soon after starting work as an apprentice  bricklayer I was put on price work and one of the tradesmen said to me I don't want you to work hard I want you to work fast. And that is a principle I have stuck to all my life.
I might not be very fast on spindle turning as I have never done a lot of it but I would take some beating on Bowl turning.

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything