Author Topic: Bandsaw tracking problem  (Read 5035 times)

porridge10

Bandsaw tracking problem
« on: August 30, 2015, 02:47:46 PM »
Hi all

I have a Jet JWBS-9 band saw just about 12 months old. Today I went to change the blade from a 10mm to 6 mm.

The 10mm blade was tracking fine but the 6mm blade runs central on the top wheel but over hangs the front of the bottom wheel.

Thinking the blade was at fault I put the 10mm blade back on. However this now does the same thing.  ??? I have eased off the thrust bearings and cool blocks. Tried tracking first then tension and tension first and then tracking still the same.

Both baldes have run fine before.

There does not appear to be any way to track the bottom wheel.

Anybody have any suggestions as to cause and retification?

Many thanks in advance.

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
Re: Bandsaw tracking problem
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2015, 02:55:34 PM »
That is very strange something has moved somewhere I think I would ring Axminster or whoever you bought it from
The top wheel is the one that alters alignment are you sure it has not mover forward or backward bodily.
Sorry I cant be more help.

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline ALAN THOMAS RPT

• copper
    • atwoodturning.com
« Reply #2 on: August 30, 2015, 03:37:07 PM »
 I am not familiar with this particular bandsaw but as George says the top wheel is usually the adjusting one for tracking the blade. It is not uncommon for the tracking to move slightly on small bandsaws after removing a blade since all the tension has been removed and the frame relaxes. Before trying to fit a new blade I would check the alignment of the two wheels by putting a long straight edge across the faces of both wheels and check to see if there is any misalignment ( also check that the drive wheel is tight ). Adjust the top wheel until the straightedge lies flat across both wheels then tighten the top wheel adjuster and refit a blade. Hope this helps.   
just one last cut and it will be perf...oh boll.....!

porridge10

« Reply #3 on: August 30, 2015, 06:56:57 PM »
Thanks for the replies gents.

I can't seem to find anything untoward so have sent an email to the vendor to seek inspiration. I would be disappointed if the frame has moved and redered the machine u/s.

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #4 on: August 30, 2015, 09:07:57 PM »
Have you tried adjusting the tension to see if that affects the tracking on the bottom wheel? I used to have to do the same with the bandsaw I used to use. With that one, The top wheel tracking never needed much adjustment so when I changed the belt, I just adjusted the tension until the blade was running true on both wheels.

Offline julcle

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2015, 10:16:19 PM »
Make sure the blade isn't being fouled by the guides at the cutting point as well.
Crowvalley Woodturners
Julian

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2015, 08:56:39 AM »
I would also clean the wheels before putting a new blade on as a build up of compressed dust and wood sap can have an effect.

Offline Lazurus

• platinum
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2015, 10:40:03 AM »
I am not familiar with this particular bandsaw but as George says the top wheel is usually the adjusting one for tracking the blade. It is not uncommon for the tracking to move slightly on small bandsaws after removing a blade since all the tension has been removed and the frame relaxes. Before trying to fit a new blade I would check the alignment of the two wheels by putting a long straight edge across the faces of both wheels and check to see if there is any misalignment ( also check that the drive wheel is tight ). Adjust the top wheel until the straightedge lies flat across both wheels then tighten the top wheel adjuster and refit a blade. Hope this helps.   

I think its called coplanar tracking, do a Google wots it there is loads on you tube etc. that may help.

Stuart
Living and working on the Norfolk Broads