Author Topic: has anyone turned Obeche?  (Read 5751 times)

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
has anyone turned Obeche?
« on: August 20, 2015, 04:50:09 PM »
just got a job that i will use obeche for and just wondered what other people think of it as a timber?

i'm making a 200mm diameter ball for a game show and they wanted it to be fairly lightweight.

Offline Steve Jones

• gold
    • the woodturners
Re: has anyone turned Obeche?
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2015, 04:56:18 PM »
I have used it a lot. Mainly for patterns and scenery. It turns easy but I am not keen on the smell of it.

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2015, 04:57:09 PM »
No, I haven't. Looked it up on wood-database.com. This seems to be not only light, but also fairly soft. Could be a bit of a bugger to turn. Is it your choice or theirs?

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2015, 04:59:32 PM »
No, I haven't. Looked it up on wood-database.com. This seems to be not only light, but also fairly soft. Could be a bit of a bugger to turn. Is it your choice or theirs?

Had just been there too .. http://www.wood-database.com/lumber-identification/hardwoods/obeche/ ...
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline Steve Jones

• gold
    • the woodturners
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2015, 05:29:42 PM »
It is very soft but as I said it is easy to work. It peels very easily. If you are scraping I recommend you use a negative rake scraper grind only the bottom bevel and cut using the burr. I have turned lots of this and only rarely have I had interlocking grain. Your gouge or skew will peel easily and clean.

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2015, 07:21:32 PM »
the smell is a bit of a odd one but it has been overpowered by a different timber that stinks.

the slicing of the wood is spectacular and i have got an excellent finish off of some passes when i was roughing it down for the ball turning jig.

i am worried that a scraping action will just tear it up as it is so soft and this appears to be backed up by Mr Jones.

mu jig uses a cobalt steel bit meant for cutting metal and is perpendicular to the wood but on lignum and a few other hardwoods it does a great job but i'm not sure it will work on this softie...

i think i will give it one pass to see how it turns and if it tears it up as bad as i fear then i'll do it by hand by slicing with the wing of a bowl gouge.

as soft as it is in my opinion it doesn't seem that much softer than a soft bit of lime.

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2015, 08:26:51 PM »
Obeche used to be one of those timbers that was a disregarded wood. By that I mean it was never classed as decorative. We used to use it in the furniture industry for drawer sides, it was light and machined well and was easy to sand which was the preferred method at the time for fitting the drawers. In drawers with a runner, this is in the days before metal drawer runners, you would have to use the same timber for the runner otherwise it would all wear out too soon.
           My late father worked for the controversial (at the time) Timber Development Council and they were responsible for setting the standards for the british kite mark in furniture. Obeche was one of their favourite timbers because of its availability. A bit different now methinks.

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2015, 09:56:30 PM »
well i ended up compromising my using the jig to within 1/8" and finishing it with the gouge and skew. sands really easily as you say and once oiled has come up a vibrant yellow.

strange thing was that when i was using the ball turning jig was that it cut better cutting from the axis to the equator of the ball so going against the grain. when i went the other way it just ripped out the grain fibres but i got a decent cut doing it the way i did.

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2015, 01:36:14 PM »
here is the final product.

if it fits the bill they might want six more.

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2015, 06:33:32 PM »
Hmm, if you don't mind me asking (if you do, just say so): what are the brown rings? And why can I see marks, probably sanding marks? Is this going to be painted, so it won't matter?

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2015, 07:22:52 PM »
don't mind any questions mate...

i should point out that it's not meant to look pretty, it's a functional ball for a tv production company and they just want to gauge the size and weight.

the brown lines are the pva glue lines as the surface had a small amount of browning on the rough sawn plank which if i'd planned another 2-3mm off then it may look better.

the mark on the axis is where i used the skew rather than a bowl gouge and to be honest it only shows up because the flash went off, you can't see it in normal light.

not sure if they will paint it or not and to be honest i don't care, i've done what they asked and if they want more i'll happily make them.

be interesting to see if they do end up on tv..