Author Topic: Microclene problem.....  (Read 9195 times)

Offline ChrisF

• gold
Microclene problem.....
« on: July 28, 2015, 03:56:37 PM »
Hi, looking for help/advice....

I have a microclene MC1000.  It's been working very well since I got it 6 months ago.  Today it started making an unusual noise and running very slowly (so slow it it is no longer effective).  I've changed the filter and generally cleaned all the dust out but it has made no difference. 

My very limited electrical knowledge suggests to me that there may be a capacitor involved in the starting/running of the motor and I wonder if the slow running might be a symptom of this failing.

Ant thoughts?

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
Re: Microclene problem.....
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2015, 04:39:01 PM »
Is it a brushed or brushless motor. It might be the brushes. If you had it new it will still be under guarantee.

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline MCB

• gold
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2015, 09:47:20 PM »

I have a microclene MC1000.  It's been working very well since I got it 6 months ago.  Today it started making an unusual noise and running very slowly (so slow it it is no longer effective).  I've changed the filter and generally cleaned all the dust out but it has made no difference. 

My very limited electrical knowledge suggests to me that there may be a capacitor involved in the starting/running of the motor and I wonder if the slow running might be a symptom of this failing.

Ant thoughts?

I  suggest that you contact the supplier and explain the problem. Any reasonable man would  expect an expensive device to work for longer than a few months.

Under the Sale of Goods Act, the supplier must rectify the fault.

MC

Offline Lazurus

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2015, 02:41:36 PM »
I have used and abused mine for over ten years and it still spins like a helicopter, definitely sounds like a motor issue if the filters are all ok. Even when mine are full of dust the motor still spins like a good un.
Living and working on the Norfolk Broads

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2015, 05:35:48 PM »
Hi Chris F,
                 Have you contacted the Supplier yet if so please let us know the outcome. ??? Regards John ::)
John Smith

Offline MCB

• gold
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2015, 05:57:20 PM »

Ant thoughts?

This may be a “grandmother/eggs” suggestion, but.....

Have you tested the socket? perhaps by connecting another machine with a motor if you don't have an Avometer [that shows how old I am!] or the training to use it.

MCB

Offline julcle

• platinum
« Reply #6 on: August 18, 2015, 12:41:22 PM »
Hey MCB --  I have 5 AVOs  ??? How sad is that - Julian
Crowvalley Woodturners
Julian

Offline MCB

• gold
« Reply #7 on: August 18, 2015, 05:46:15 PM »
Hey MCB --  I have 5 AVOs  ??? How sad is that - Julian

Are they genuine AVOmeters or just generic ones?

I have several DMMs but the only real AVO kit is a set of AVOmeter 8 leads !!

Did you test the socket?

MC

Offline julcle

• platinum
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2015, 08:16:52 PM »
Hi MC  --  Off topic I know but one is an AVO 7 and the others are 8 from the original to the Mk5, the original leads are long gone but they still work ok. I have made a few 15v batteries as they are a bit expensive to buy now.
Crowvalley Woodturners
Julian

Offline TONY MALIN

• gold
  • Rugby Warwickshire
« Reply #9 on: August 19, 2015, 02:58:59 PM »
Chris F
Have you solved the mystery yet?

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #10 on: August 19, 2015, 09:29:55 PM »
Come on Chris F,
                       Give us some answers Members have gone to the trouble of answering your query of the 20th July. >:( >:(

Regards John

John Smith

Offline ChrisF

• gold
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2015, 11:16:02 AM »
Blimey, relax guys, I don't live on here!  Been busy with godchildren and Alton Towers visits so not much leisure time!  Sent it back to the suppliers, their response was that they couldn't get the parts to fix it so they refunded in full and I bought a replacement elsewhere.

They didn't say what the problem was so unfortunately can't enlighten you there.  The unit was an ex-demo and I now wonder if perhaps it was faulty from the start.......I have replaced it with an MC420, so a smaller version, which is actually performing much better.....more powerful, better suction and also quite a bit noisier.

I don't know enough about motors, capacitors etc to guess at a cause....my thought that it might be a capacitor issue was based on googling.......but interestingly virtually nothing available on the www about problems with Microclene units which can only be a good sign.

Cheers

Chris

Offline MCB

• gold
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2015, 12:39:18 PM »

They didn't say what the problem was so unfortunately can't enlighten you there.

I don't have any experience of Microclene as a company but if you were to explain to them that you've had a lot of help and advice on this list and would like to tell everybody what fault they identified.

MC

Offline TONY MALIN

• gold
  • Rugby Warwickshire
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2015, 02:20:45 PM »
With no reflection on you Chris it gets curiouser and curiouser. One would expect a demonstration model to work properly. "They couldn't get the parts to fix it" so they must have known what was wrong with it.
Oh how I hate unsolved problems.

Offline Graham

• platinum
  • Chairman. www.DidcotTurners.club
« Reply #14 on: August 21, 2015, 05:10:15 PM »
I have a great deal of experience with small motors like these and it sounds, to me at least, that it is pretty obvious that the hamster fell off his wheel.
Regards
Graham
I have learnt the first rule of woodturning.
The internal diameter should never exceed the external width.
Nor the internal depth, the external height.
Does that make me an expert now ?