Author Topic: Gringing and Sharpening  (Read 9344 times)

Offline Graham

• platinum
  • Chairman. www.DidcotTurners.club
Re: Gringing and Sharpening
« Reply #15 on: August 15, 2015, 09:23:55 AM »
I have been thinking some more about this and the problem of hitting the control box when sharpening a 15 or 20 degree bevel will be easily solved by making a secondary platform to fit on top of the sorby one, thus lifting the chisel higher.
simples. :)
Regards
Graham
I have learnt the first rule of woodturning.
The internal diameter should never exceed the external width.
Nor the internal depth, the external height.
Does that make me an expert now ?

Offline MCB

• gold
« Reply #16 on: August 15, 2015, 07:20:16 PM »
I have been thinking some more about this and the problem of hitting the control box when sharpening a 15 or 20 degree bevel will be easily solved by making a secondary platform to fit on top of the sorby one, thus lifting the chisel higher.
simples. :)

I  think you will need to find some way of putting the groove on the top surface of your  secondary platform (in which the jigs can slide) and something to run in the groove on the existing table to keep it in position.

MC

Offline Graham

• platinum
  • Chairman. www.DidcotTurners.club
« Reply #17 on: August 15, 2015, 07:32:35 PM »
The only time there is a problem with the existing setup is when sharpening something like a 'Lacer' curved skew or a radiused scraper where the handle has to be swung round far to the left. You would not be needing the skew jig for this so just another platform  ( A bit of 3x1 would probably do ) on top of the fixed one.
I will give it a try over the next few days.
Regards
Graham
I have learnt the first rule of woodturning.
The internal diameter should never exceed the external width.
Nor the internal depth, the external height.
Does that make me an expert now ?