Author Topic: Ash designer bowl.  (Read 3083 times)

theblindwoodturner

Ash designer bowl.
« on: July 23, 2011, 11:26:55 AM »
Mornin all....

As it's quiet and I finally have a bit of time on my hands, I thought I'd post this piece.

This is an ash earthenware styled bowl measuring 8" diameter x 6" height with a wall thickness of 1/2"

This took about 2 days to do as I was waiting on the hollowing tool to test out on this project.

From initially converting a square piece to round, then marking out my design needs with a parting tool as it's a more tactile way of doing things. A fault appeared in the form of a crack to the foot end but not too deep. so it was removed out by parting in two directions. 1" from end of face to foot and 1" from edge of face to body removing a ring which is still usable.

I was thinking of a suitable design and remembering the feel of an old earthenware bowl where the neck had a double profile with a deep inset curve and undercut to the rim.

So about 2 bags of shavings later, 6 grits in both directions later, some thinners to clean off dust, sealer rubbed on and some sealer poured in whilst spinning at a slow speed to seal the inside of the bowl and create an extra depth to the grain and then a fine polish to level the sealer. From there a nice chunk of beeswax buffed on and then polished off in both directions at 1400rpm.

and here's the finished result.

lew...

Offline BRIAN L

• iron
Re: Ash designer bowl.
« Reply #1 on: July 23, 2011, 05:44:40 PM »
Lew
Looks like it was made out of firewood but you have made a good job of it.It is a good shape ,different than the norm 3 out of 10.
HA HA HA .
BRIAN L.

theblindwoodturner

« Reply #2 on: July 23, 2011, 05:46:53 PM »
you cheaky so and so. It's alright folks, this is my good and trustworthy friend brian..

well at last it's up lol.

lew

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #3 on: July 23, 2011, 08:37:43 PM »

Lewis,  A nice piece, like what you've done, unusual in form, but then what is the norm, given you lost something of it with the crack, it may have been a little different in the base or would the foot been somewhat the same.   Well done.

David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

theblindwoodturner

« Reply #4 on: July 23, 2011, 08:50:41 PM »
Cheers david lol.

the crack to be honest was a bit severe but wood being wood, it happens. The foot would have ben a bit larger and with a decorative flair to it but this funnily enough was a test run for the Crown Revolution hollower system I now endorse along with Mark Sanger.

I'm in the mood to turn something I've wanted to turn for a while and now I'm using my dream lathe I'll be doing so.

Incidentally, if there's anyone in the north wales or cheshire are who has any wood big enough and would like to give it a good home, drop me a line. I'm having a little trouble sourcing materials at the moment.

lew