Author Topic: Can it be justified  (Read 9497 times)

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
Re: Can it be justified
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2015, 10:34:46 AM »

Colouring/texturing wood until it doesn't look like wood is a heinous crime, you certainly won't catch me doing it.
I can only presume you say this with your tongue firmly embedded in your cheek, especially when I look at your amazing sculptures.  ;D

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2015, 10:36:16 AM »
Ha Ha I can remember the time Mark when you said to me I don't see the need to colour wood and never will. :D :D :D

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2015, 10:39:39 AM »
I think you must be getting forgetful George, you asked the same thing not long back!  ;)

http://www.awgb.co.uk/awgbforum/index.php/topic,2992.0.html

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2015, 10:56:44 AM »
Hi Paul

When you get to my age you will get forgetful.
I hope this does not mean you will ban me again ;)

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2015, 11:20:12 AM »
or is that selective memory with age GBF  :)

Offline Mark Sanger

• platinum
    • Mark Sanger Web Site
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2015, 04:43:40 PM »
Colouring/texturing wood until it doesn't look like wood is a heinous crime, you certainly won't catch me doing it.
I can only presume you say this with your tongue firmly embedded in your cheek, especially when I look at your amazing sculptures.  ;D

;D ;D yes, just my humor. Actually I am at the moment texturing a 150 mm dia x 75 mm high hollow form, up to about eight hours texturing so far and only 3/4 the way around.

Offline steve w

• bronze
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2015, 08:53:05 PM »
Several years ago on a Forum I put a picture up of something I had coloured and somebody remarked why would you colour a beautiful piece of wood like that and my reply was  because I have another 30 or so pieces like it.

Regards George

good reply George.
why do i feel the need to turn a block of wood into shavings?

Offline Sevilla

• bronze
« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2015, 11:53:41 PM »
I will answer looking from another perspective: many pieces are evaluated (positively) not because of their execution but by the beauty of the wood itself. It is lin my opinion like to say that a turner is a good turner when is able to turn a beautiful piece of wood often in a mediocre final shape.

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #23 on: July 08, 2015, 01:00:33 PM »
When I first started turning I was in the bracket of never cover such a great medium like wood along with it should never have holes and the like in it either. But the more that I turn the more open minded I have become. For example I would never paint or do anything to a interesting piece of wood that has a great spalter or nice burr but a more plain/bland piece begs for colour or texture.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2015, 01:32:08 PM »
If the final piece is either a thing of beauty or of use....or both does it really matter? I don't colour wood much purely because when I have tried it looks a mess. I do gild though or use other materials with it such as metals, stone glass etc. Which reminds me i must make time to get some photos done for you lot to pick holes in.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #25 on: July 08, 2015, 04:24:28 PM »

As with form, if done correctly, color shouldn't distract nor harm a piece. Over time no end of materials have been painted as mentioned... da Vinci on wood, Michelangelo -the Sistine Chapel ceiling .. was it they'd had nothing else, no it had to be painted.  Wilma, no doubt told Fred to paint animals on the cave wall to make it homely and remind him what he should be hunting... it was a ready material ... where he got the paint !!!!!!

Stained glass windows .. do they add/distract from the Light or the glass itself...

It's a case of the right balance, is it just in coloring wood, need we consider texturing... in the end beauty is in the wood itself .. then we have bland pieces, so what's the next better thing to do.

Cheers  David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #26 on: July 08, 2015, 04:37:46 PM »
Which reminds me i must make time to get some photos done for you lot to pick holes in.

Pete

Most of yours have holes Pete  :D :D :D