Author Topic: 1st attempt at a bowl  (Read 4893 times)

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
Re: 1st attempt at a bowl
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2015, 01:01:46 PM »
ask, the carpenter for a bit of sapele or iroko to use as they are easier for turners new to making bowls.

I am not sure why you are suggesting these exotic alternatives for idigbo. There's plenty of nice wood for turning to be had from local trees. In my experience, cherry or sycamore are (usually) very nice to turn, and any local tree surgeon should have a good pile of either. Apart from not impacting on trees that may well be on some or other endangered species list, the local ones are probably cheaper, too.
This is not a criticism, just a suggestion. If you have ready access to exotic timbers as left overs from some carpentry process, by all means, go for it.

i was merely suggesting a different timber that would be available from his carpenter friend. i've been a joiner since i was 18 and know that from the joinery shop offcut bin idigbo is possibly the worst possible wood for making a bowl as i tried it myself when i started turning.
there are plenty of other timbers used in the joinery industry but sapele and iroko are the most common that would be the best for turning.

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2015, 02:37:11 PM »
   For a first attempt this is a very neat and tidy bowl z3ddie...... cannot really judge the finish from the photo
   but looks ok from here.
   Tony di
« Last Edit: June 22, 2015, 02:38:44 PM by georg »
"If you always do what you always done, you always get what you always got" 

http://www.anthonygeorge.net/

Offline Derek

• platinum
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2015, 03:23:18 PM »
A good first bowl. Worth keeping and using it to compare as you go further into your woodturning journey