Author Topic: 1st attempt at a bowl  (Read 4894 times)

Offline z3ddie

• copper
  • It wasn't a catch it was a redesign
1st attempt at a bowl
« on: June 20, 2015, 04:13:54 PM »
Well - I decided to step over to the dark side today with a bit of Idigbo that I got off a carpenter - I have to say hats off to you 'bowlers'. I was so nervous about getting a catch and going through the wall of it I made the executive decision to polish it and go for a pint. Just sanding sealer and wax.  I really now appreciate the skill in some of the work shown here with your fine walls.  Anyway I needed something to keep the car keys in so this will do!

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
Re: 1st attempt at a bowl
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2015, 06:03:08 PM »
That looks pretty good to me. I like the groove around the top half. A bit wide maybe, but looks nice and smooth. Well done, especially for a first bowl.

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2015, 07:02:05 PM »
hats off to you for using idigbo for a first bowl, it's crap stuff to turn. as a joiner i had access to plenty but soon found out that it was too soft for my then novice skills.

ask, the carpenter for a bit of sapele or iroko to use as they are easier for turners new to making bowls.

you've done well considering the timber and i'm liking the bit of laburnum underneath.

where exactly are you zeddie, you'd be welcome to some of my wood as i've far too much.

Offline steve w

• bronze
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2015, 09:39:49 PM »
looking good - i have not done much turning and as you say it gives you respect for the items and skill you see on here.
why do i feel the need to turn a block of wood into shavings?

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2015, 09:41:26 PM »
I remember my first attempt at a bowl....and it wasn't that good!

Nice one!

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #5 on: June 21, 2015, 06:19:50 AM »
Well done z3ddie always keep your first bowl gives you something to look back on.

My first bowl was no where near as good as yours,

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #6 on: June 21, 2015, 07:10:15 PM »
z3ddie,

for a first bowl it's a damn fine bowl. A lot of first bowls are like 'Dog bowls', straight sides flat bottoms etc..

This has a good curve that holds it's line, a decorative effect in the cove and is well finished.

But Idigbo, if you can make a good job of that, just wait until you get hold of a decent timber.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #7 on: June 21, 2015, 07:45:40 PM »
Have to echo pretty much everything said so far. First bowl? Look forward to the future ones. Congratulations as well on not doing what was described as a dog bowl .

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2015, 10:28:38 PM »
Bryan are you having a pop at my first bowl  :) :) :) :)

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2015, 10:32:02 PM »
Ed,

Sorry, I'd have to look back to see your first bowl, but I know the wife kept mine! Shudder to remember it never mind see it again.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2015, 10:35:40 PM »
Ed,

Sorry, I'd have to look back to see your first bowl, but I know the wife kept mine! Shudder to remember it never mind see it again.

My sister has my first bowl and refuses to let me have it back in exchange for a decent one. Gross, bad finish, shape etc you namne it LOL.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #11 on: June 22, 2015, 06:44:40 AM »
I've still got mine - look at it every now and then and Bryan your right it looks like a dog bowl straight side flat bottom and tooling marks all over the place.

I think I might see if I can make another :)

Ed

Offline z3ddie

• copper
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2015, 09:35:39 AM »
Thanks for all the kind words and encouragement!  This, like I said was a little experiment and I now wish I had gone with a 'stronger' wood, but all the same I like it - I did a lot of Youtubing before I started and must really mention Carl Jacobson who's excellent little videos gave me the confidence to have a go - for the time being it's back to the lamps - I actually have a commission! Pic's to follow!

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2015, 11:17:29 AM »
ask, the carpenter for a bit of sapele or iroko to use as they are easier for turners new to making bowls.

I am not sure why you are suggesting these exotic alternatives for idigbo. There's plenty of nice wood for turning to be had from local trees. In my experience, cherry or sycamore are (usually) very nice to turn, and any local tree surgeon should have a good pile of either. Apart from not impacting on trees that may well be on some or other endangered species list, the local ones are probably cheaper, too.
This is not a criticism, just a suggestion. If you have ready access to exotic timbers as left overs from some carpentry process, by all means, go for it.

Offline z3ddie

• copper
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2015, 11:52:40 AM »
Hi Fuzzy - I have an ever increasing stockpile of local natural wood, Beech, Oak, Cherry, Ash, Apple and Laburnum as I am an avid woodburner and source most of the fuel for free (my heating costs are ridiculously low) - I have selected quite a few choice pieces but being new and impatient my local carpenter friend piles offcuts from jobs that would otherwise be put onto their bonfire and kindly lets me have them.  This, I feel, gives me nice seasoned hardwood to practice on and actually makes some nice pieces that are appreciated by the people I give them to.  I am now in the process of storing the good bits from my logpile and letting time and nature take its course, having cut and sealed them.  I have learned very quickly that if you are to be a self sufficient turner you need patience in bucket loads! I am now a bit of a standing joke with my friends as every time I go to their houses I always raid their logstores! Even the local boozers isn't safe