Author Topic: Art Deco Lamp  (Read 2067 times)

Offline z3ddie

• copper
  • It wasn't a catch it was a redesign
Art Deco Lamp
« on: June 12, 2015, 10:25:20 AM »
I love Art Deco design and was looking through the Museum of Modern Art website and saw a metal lamp that I loved the form of and this is my homage' to it - 3 pieces of Sapele turned and wax finished with an Edison Squirrel Cage bulb and E27 holder.  The picture frame to the right is something a friend asked me to make for them, she paints on copper, it's American Black Walnut with a Sapele mount (The little picture on the left was a present from her son)

C and C welcome as I know there has been a lot of comment about copying, but this is just my interpretation of an art form that was functional and appealing.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Re: Art Deco Lamp
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2015, 10:38:39 PM »
z3ddie,

Sorry to be so long in commenting on this piece. I don't remember where but I saw this type of lamp bulb somewhere a few days before you posted the lamp and wondered then what could be done with it.

I'm not sure the style appeals to me, I not sure I can see what you describe as Art Deco in the shape. I see it as more Modern (Modeern to spell it as said) a German/Bauhaus style.

I think this is one of these examples we discussed recently where a design in one medium (we mentioned ceramics) does not directly translate to our medium of wood. A shame as you've created a well shaped and finished piece.

Having said all that there are many people how really go nuts for the who Bauhaus techno items, well turned.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline z3ddie

• copper
  • It wasn't a catch it was a redesign
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2015, 07:43:56 AM »
Thanks for that - I have put the original up here - I think it was copper.  When I made it i decided not to 'shade' it as the dresser in my kitchen has a natural place (for me) to sit - anyway with the squirrel lamp on when lit it give a lovely filled look around it

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2015, 11:06:19 PM »

I don't think as it is with any picture, that it has not done your form justice, as you've looked to have replicated the original perfectly. It maybe the lack of a shade or the oddity of the bulb.

Every nice Art Deco Oak book case as display.

Cheers  David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''