Author Topic: Got lucky!  (Read 3073 times)

Offline z3ddie

• copper
  • It wasn't a catch it was a redesign
Got lucky!
« on: May 29, 2015, 04:30:43 PM »
This is a church candle holder I was making as a small present for someone - not bothered about the quality of the turning but was stunned by the beauty of the pattern in the grain of the Laburnum when I began cutting away

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Re: Got lucky!
« Reply #1 on: May 29, 2015, 04:39:33 PM »
One of the great things about wood turning as you have found out. The blandest looking lump can have hidden beauty once you start cutting.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #2 on: May 29, 2015, 04:53:22 PM »
Although I agree with bodrighywood, I can tell you that laburnum pretty much always has beautiful grain. I have lots of it, and I never had a bland piece. The only problem is that it tends to develop serious cracks from the center outwards, even when sealed.

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #3 on: May 29, 2015, 06:57:03 PM »
....The only problem is that it tends to develop serious cracks from the center outwards, even when sealed.

...the trick is to ignore the cracks as a problem, and view them as a natural feature. I have several pieces of laburnum log and have turned them all into chunky candle stands. We deliberately set them on the shop shelves with the cracks showing and we make sure that customers are aware of it....but ti makes little difference, as most of our customers are more than happy to take laburnum, cracks and all.

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2015, 07:49:18 PM »
Enough has been said about the Laburnum, and I agree with all of it.

But I feel I must point out a danger I see in your work. It is illegal to sell a wooden candle holder without a non-flammable interface between the candle and the wood. Unfortunately we do see such things in shops selling crafts though.

I note it is a gift and as a Church candle unlikely to be burnt all the way down, but please do inform the new owner of the dangers of leaving candles unattended.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline z3ddie

• copper
  • It wasn't a catch it was a redesign
« Reply #5 on: May 30, 2015, 11:18:38 AM »
Thanks for the comment and take on board about the candle to wood bit - which has given me a great idea to really finish the piece off - 22mm copper pipe cut down the middle - beaten, annalized, pickeled and beaten round for a barrier from wax to wood sitting on a disc of copper - it will also fill in the gap caused by my rubbish straight boring!
However the lady in question who it is for should be registered as a pyromaniac as there seems to be candles in any possible container in her cottage.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2015, 03:35:36 PM »
 Please show us your

22mm copper pipe cut down the middle - beaten, annalized, pickeled and beaten round for a barrier from wax to wood sitting on a disc of coppercopper

It sounds quite interesting and unusual.

As for

The lady in question who it is for should be registered as a pyromaniac as there seems to be candles in any possible container in her cottage.

I know she's not the only one.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!