Author Topic: GREEN OAK  (Read 4283 times)

DAVE BADKIN

GREEN OAK
« on: July 13, 2011, 04:07:02 PM »
GREEN OAK
Hi everyone this is the second coloured turning in recent weeks and I think the last for a few weeks due to club commitments and one thing and another. I must say I have really enjoyed experimenting with colour and different finishes to what I would normally use. In general I like my turnings not to be too shiny and prefer to finish with carnauba wax applied with a buffing wheel on the lathe, so whilst getting a really good finish my pieces still look and feel like the wood they are turned from. I feel some people use lacquers and varnishes and the piece looks and feels like plastic not wood. But as I say I have enjoyed the last two pieces and the challengers they have given me. The hardest thing after finishing them has been to produce good enough photo’s that show both the colours and finish achieved. What a headache getting the light right trying not to get things reflecting off the turnings whilst still getting the colours and finish to show in the final photo. So please feel free to pass on any critiques and tips on both the turnings and the photo’s
Turned from green oak it stands 10cm tall and 10cm across
Not long to go now,
Look forward to seeing some of you at Loughborough, Dave

Andy Coates

Re: GREEN OAK
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2011, 05:18:22 PM »
What a lovely vessel, Dave. The colouring is nicely blended and looks wonderful. I hope it doesn't "blush" as the wood dries out. Great piece.

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #2 on: July 14, 2011, 01:15:08 AM »

Dave,  what an excellent piece, like how the colours have worked, true green finish to green oak as are the grain and rays run ...  hope it will not blush, time will tell.

David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline John

• bronze
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2011, 08:26:47 AM »
What is meant by "BLUSH"?

John
John English

Offline Dave Atkinson

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Macclesfield
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2011, 08:35:02 AM »
Dave
I think it is great.  I love the way the colours have blended together but the rays are still yellow.

John, I'm glad you asked because I don't know either!

Cheers Dave

DAVE BADKIN

« Reply #5 on: July 14, 2011, 09:53:42 AM »
Thank's for the comments chaps. your concerns that it might bloom (blush) is not my only concern I worry that it will split open more than may be acceptable.
I believe the term relates to the moisture in the wood affecting the lacquer and causing it to go milky as it evaporates from the wood. I am praying the moisture escapes from the hole in the center as I have intentionally not put a finish on it so it will breath. That was the plan but time will tell.

Offline Katchin

• bronze
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2011, 12:48:04 PM »
I wonder if the ironing trick would work if it did 'blush'. My mother has a large dining table that had had a hot pot placed on it, creating a white ring in the centre. We placed a towel on the mark, years later, and applied an iron with steam onto it, marks were gone. I have heard of mayonnaise being used as well.

Beautiful piece.
John Simon Lawrenson

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2011, 07:13:03 AM »
By the use of colour, you'e drawn out the grain patterns and made that pot something beautiful, well done.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #8 on: July 16, 2011, 01:21:04 PM »
Hi Dave, Nice piece I like the way the colours blend in to one another and enhance the grain.Did you use the colours neat or did you thin them down? I am also looking forward to the Seminar.Regards John
John Smith

DAVE BADKIN

« Reply #9 on: July 16, 2011, 07:04:54 PM »
Thanks Phil it was a pleasant surprise.
Hi John the colours were chestnut spirit stains thinned by approximately 30% spirit. Applied by brush then set alight to dry and then sanded between colours, each time with a finer grade than the one before first black then purple-dark blue-lighter blue-green and finished with yellow that I left without sanding before a few coats a Maylands satin lacquer sanding in between coats and then a final de-nib before buffing with carnauba wax. I must stress for anyone new to spirits the importance of fire safety if igniting the stain be very careful and have a fire extinguisher on standby. Workshops cost too much to burn down through complacency or neglect.