Author Topic: Scroll Chuck question  (Read 10890 times)

Jon Holden

Scroll Chuck question
« on: July 11, 2011, 09:03:46 AM »
Hi, I am relatively new to this forum and this is my first post. I have been turning for just over a year now and am just getting to grips with the basics and an beginning to stretch myself to deep hollowing. Hence this question.

I am about to invest in a scroll chuck and would like advice on what is the best one to use.
I have an Axminster AWVSL 1000 Lathe which is use with a veriety of faceplates and a Versachuck Model T chuck. It has suited my needs for sometime but now I can afford to go up a size.

My choices as I see it are:-

Sorby Patriot
Axminster Super Precision.
Record Supernova

Any advice on these models from users would be most helpful or if anyone has a chuck I have left off the list that they think would be another option.

Thanking you in anticipation
Jon

Offline john taylor

• bronze
    • John Taylor Woodturner
Re: Scroll Chuck question
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2011, 09:48:29 AM »
HI

Just to confuse you my choice would be either the Axminster K10 or Goliath in preference to the super precision which is not what it used to be as the making of it has been outsourced.

john

theblindwoodturner

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2011, 10:15:12 AM »
Hi Jon. Welcome to the board.

hollowing is a fun part of turning but boring (boring..... lol).  and can be tackled on most lathes without much trouble.

your chuck choices.......

Supernova 2: a reasonably priced chuck built by teknatool in Australia (now china). has a very high gripping power which is a good thing for turning. There are various jaws available for the chuck and accessories making it pretty versatile. Do be aware that key winding is in reverse direction to other chucks. Comes in direct thread and insert versions.

Sorby patriot: See my review posted on this site. It's a pretty decent chuck. made here in the UK. again like the supernova, it's expandable and is pretty similar to the supernova. Sorby decided to build this chuck as an "improvement to the supernova". Again offered as direct thread, insert or exert depending on your needs and lathe type.

The SuperPrecision chuck would not be suitable to your lathe as it is rather weighty and after a time, could wear the spindle. Instead I would advise the goliath as it's lighter but still offers a great level of support as well as being the same system as the superprecision and K10 chucks where jaws are interchangeable. It is worth noting however that as your lathe has the motor mounted  facing the work piece, to avoid the bowl reversing jaws as they will hit the case of the motor.

The positive thing about this lathe is depending on the size of the spindle, there are grub screws installed so you can safely lock the chuck to the lathe spindle if your lathe supports reverse turning.

I hope this helps.

lew

Offline Dave Atkinson

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Macclesfield
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2011, 01:50:06 PM »
Hello Jon

Welcome to the forum.

I have both a patriot and a supernova chuck and very happy with both of them.

However, when it comes to holding a workpiece securely on the lathe one of the most important things is to get the chucking point sized correctly.  You say you have only been turning for a year and if you've heard this before forgive me.

Chuck jaws are milled as one piece and then cut into four.  The best hold is gained when the jaws make a full circle which is usually when the gap between the jaws is just a tad under 3mm.

When I first started I thought the bigger the spigot the better the hold.   This is of course wrong as when the spigot is too large the chuck is only in contact in 8 places at the edge of each jaw.  With a recess the contact point is in the middle of the jaw (I think I have that the right way round!).

When the gap is just about 3mm the whole of the jaws are in contact with the timber and this is the most secure.

if you are going to be trying deep hollowing it is likely that you'll be using green(er) wood.  Make the spigot a little oversize as the fibres will compress and make sure you keep checking the grip as you work.

If I was you I would try some small pieces, say 4 to 6 inches long to see how you go which should be within the capabilities of your chuck now.   Then you may be able to make a better choice about the chuck.

Of course the next question is what is the best hollowing tool and there is a thread on this topic elsewhere on the forum.

I hope this helps and good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Cheers Dave

Jon Holden

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2011, 09:29:56 AM »
Thank you gents, your comments have helped no end. I shall probably be looking at the Sorby Patriot chuck as reviewed by Lew.

John, I had a quick look at the other two Axminster offerings, the K10 and the Goliath that you mentioned but am a little concerned that the shorter length of the chucks would possibly mean large pieces would foul the motor when, as Lew mentioned the motor on my lathe faces the bed.

Dave, thanks for the tips on work holding and no I hadn't been told this before. It makes perfect sense and I think I had sort of come to that conclusion myself but will now make sure I use the right sized spigot, jaw size, combination in future. Might be why I had to dodge a lump of Walnut as it shot off the lathe in my first few months of woodturning  :-[

Jon

theblindwoodturner

« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2011, 01:40:19 PM »
Jon,

regarding distance of chucks, etc. most chucks have an average depth. if you're going to go for the sorby. ask for an excert version as the excert will give you a little extra clearance. I think your spindle thread is a 1"x8tpi thread. check with your retailer about exert thread sizes.

lew

As I've noted earlier, I would not recommend the bowl reversing jaws for your lathe as the jaws will contact the grill plate of the motor and cause damage to both chuck and motor.

lew