Author Topic: Advice Please  (Read 2256 times)

Offline z3ddie

• copper
  • It wasn't a catch it was a redesign
Advice Please
« on: May 15, 2015, 09:31:07 AM »
I have just had my Farmhouse table resanded and sealed, it was covered in watermarks etc and now looks brand new so I would like to protect the surface, so I thought of using 9mm hardwood ply to make placemats from.

My question is (I have already tried to find an answer on other forums/YouTube/etc -instead of turning the outsides individually how would you do it.
I have tried glue gunning between them but a trial attempt left a nasty stain so I would imagine any other type of glue would give the same problem.

What I am trying to achieve is a uniform set in diameter that can be removed one at a time and then put a detail line in and polish up the face.

Thanks in advance

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Re: Advice Please
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2015, 09:33:57 AM »
Hot glue doesn't usually leave a stain IME but if you give each a coat of sealer before gluing up that should do the trick.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

andersonec

Re: Advice Please
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2015, 10:51:32 AM »
The best way to do this would be using a router table if you had access to one, make a template from 9mm MDF, stick this to your ply with double sided tape and rout using a bearing guided cutter.
The same technique could be achieved using a hand held router but the problem of securing the work piece will arise, or you could screw a twelve inch square piece of 9mm MDF to the base plate of your router (drill a hole in the centre to allow the cutter access through) hold the router in a vice and rout the work in the same way using a template and bearing guided cutter, if you have one you could also a ogee or rounded cutter to add a nice edge to your work.
Just one thing though, if you intend using ply then I would recommend Birch ply as it is more stable, the layers are more consistent and it will not have any voids, it can be stained whatever colour you fancy.

Andy