Author Topic: New Member  (Read 5137 times)

Offline z3ddie

• copper
  • It wasn't a catch it was a redesign
« on: May 12, 2015, 07:40:34 AM »
Good morning and thanks for accepting my joining request. On Sunday a friend said he found some old logs when clearing his garage and he gave me them - in return he got this.  I identified it as Hornbeam and it was really really hard to turn, blunting my tools to no end, anyway he got a lamp in return, polished with friction shelac and wax - be gentle, pretty new to turning.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Re: New Member
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2015, 08:04:07 AM »
z3ddie,

firstly welcome to the forum, nice to have you onboard.

If the lamp body you've turned is from the log your friend gave you, I'm fairly sure it's not hornbeam (that's a creamy pale coloured wood). I'm reasonably sure it's Laburnum, loverly nut brown heartwood and that lighter coloured distinctive growthwood.

The shape is not bad, no broken curves or strange angles, we've certainly seen worse first postings, and if this is one of your first turnings, something that big is a brave start, well done.

Bryan.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline z3ddie

• copper
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2015, 08:21:25 AM »
Thank you for your kind words! I too thought it was Laburnum but the bark didn't seem right to me - it was more like the elephant skin that you get on Hornbeam - I also blunted 2 chainsaw blades cutting one billet down it really is that hard.  The guy told me they were in his garage when he moved in years ago and was going to chop and burn them but never got round to it, anyway his wife is delighted with the lamp and it really is a thin of joy to give something back that is appreciated.

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2015, 08:34:58 AM »

Hi Welcome to the Forum A good start I am no Electrician but I wonder if the cable you have used is legal also have you secured it to prevent it pulling out.
                    Regards John
John Smith

Offline z3ddie

• copper
« Reply #4 on: May 12, 2015, 08:43:44 AM »
Good question - I did a lot of research before deciding to make lamps as presents and made sure the cable was made, tested and certified to BS EN 50525 and not sourced from Ebay/Amazon but from Urban Cottages Industries.  It is the traditional twisted Raylon coated type to give it that nicer finish, same with the brass earthed fittings too. Not cheap but worth that little bit extra. And it would take a politician to pull it from the lamp base!

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: May 12, 2015, 08:56:48 AM »

The only reason I asked the question I have not seen that cable used before and I agree it gives a much nicer look than the usual cables used.

Regards John
John Smith

Offline z3ddie

• copper
« Reply #6 on: May 12, 2015, 09:09:34 AM »
Here is the link to them http://www.creative-cables.co.uk/lamp-cord/1417-twisted-fabric-lighting-flex-electric-cable-tm13-brown.html
The cable really gives a vintage look to the lamps and a very pleasing finished product.  This type of cable seemed to be always used on lamps and is now making a comeback - one point of not though is when you are drilling out it is a VERY tight fit so you have drill it and then I found get some thin dowel and a sheet of 120 grit wrapped round it to enlarge the drilling slightly.

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #7 on: May 12, 2015, 06:44:26 PM »
Hi z3ddie, and welcome....I'm with Bryan in my thoughts about it being laburnum. I'm not a betting man, but if anything were to tempt me to place a bet, it would be this. The heartwood, the sapwood and the margin of darker wood between the two. I have laburnum that's been sitting drying for years and that, too, has gone very, very .

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #8 on: May 13, 2015, 12:29:06 AM »

Hi z3ddie and welcome to the wonders of woodturning .. it's a slippery slope from here on.. no its an enjoyable pastime.

I like the simple clean cut and finished lines of the lamp and as you've mentioned it has been well appreciated, speaks volumes there alone.

The link to the cables very handy too. Have bookmarked for reference, should it be needed... I've everything but descent cable, so Retro style is ideal.   Thank you.

Cheers David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #9 on: May 13, 2015, 06:59:54 AM »
Hi z3ddie

Welcome to the world of woodturning, hope you have as much fun with it as many of us do.

I like the lamp as Bryan has said that's a big piece for one of your first turnings and with the wood being so hard.

You look like you have a great finish also I congratulate you on doing some research and finding a cable that looks much better than the standard round flex that people use on their table lamps.

Ed

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #10 on: May 13, 2015, 07:48:21 AM »
Hi z3ddie,

just to let you know, I've saved the link you posted for future use.

Nice find.

Thanks

Bryan
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline z3ddie

• copper
« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2015, 07:55:02 AM »
Thanks guy - reference the cable I did a heck of a lot of searching and this seemed the best price and quality - and the more you order the cheaper it is, they do a great range of colours as well.

Offline z3ddie

• copper
« Reply #12 on: May 13, 2015, 08:32:51 AM »
Just a couple of things I have been playing with - one is Olive Ash and the other is a piece of Lavander I found - just for fun

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #13 on: May 13, 2015, 02:14:24 PM »
that first one is walnut not ash...

nice work by the way.

Offline z3ddie

• copper
« Reply #14 on: May 13, 2015, 02:33:41 PM »
Sorry but I know the garden it came from! It was definately an Ash tree