Author Topic: Let's Teach Turning!  (Read 38880 times)

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
Re: Let's Teach Turning!
« Reply #45 on: April 30, 2015, 09:58:08 AM »
I have just downloaded it and will watch it tonight .

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline Philip Green

• bronze
    • No Mans Land
« Reply #46 on: April 30, 2015, 04:34:36 PM »
Just received my club's dvd in the post.

I've only looked at a bit of it so far but it looks really impressive.

It is great to see how constructively our subscriptions are being used. Well done everybody involved.
Philip from sunny St Issey

Offline rick_dobney

• bronze
    • Rick Dobney Woodturning
« Reply #47 on: April 30, 2015, 11:36:12 PM »
Very professional  production and something  we could all benefit from no matter how formally we 'teach' others.....a big thankyou to all involved.

I am surprised  though that this valuable material is being given away to none AWGB members, I'd have  thought  this could have generated not insignificant revenue for the association. I do appreciate the constitution of the association includes promotion of best teaching practices, but should this extend to providing FOC benefits to none members?

Thanks again
Rick

Offline Dave Harding

• iron
« Reply #48 on: May 01, 2015, 10:09:40 AM »
The copy of the CD for my club arrived yesterday in the post. Have started to look at it this morning. The content looks very comprehensive and has encouraged me to go to the shed and have a good look at H&S issues, and prepare a list of (overdue) improvements.
I will encourage all our club members to either download or borrow the CD. We have had a bit of an influx of new members recently and i think it would be very helpful for them. It may be harder to teach old dogs new tricks.
Well done to all involved.

Ryan Davenport AWGB

« Reply #49 on: May 01, 2015, 10:28:20 AM »
It is really nice to hear such positive feedback about the disk, I can assure you there has been a tremendous amount of work (especially from Peter and Dave) that has gone into the making of the disk, I hope that everyone finds it as "informative" as I have, hopefully it will also generate more interest and reason to join the AWGB. I take my hat off to everyone involved in the making and I'm proud that it came from the hard work and dedication of the AWGB.
 I hope that everyone will make as much use out of it as I already have, it's also a great reference to things/issues and the interaction side it brilliant, I would highly recommend it to anyone.
Well done. 

Offline Dave Atkinson

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Macclesfield
« Reply #50 on: May 01, 2015, 01:09:33 PM »

I am surprised  though that this valuable material is being given away to none AWGB members, I'd have  thought  this could have generated not insignificant revenue for the association. I do appreciate the constitution of the association includes promotion of best teaching practices, but should this extend to providing FOC benefits to none members?

Hi Rick

We did give this aspect considerable thought.  Basically we sent this to each Club Free of Charge but we are conscious that there are around 500 AWGB members who do not belong to a Club and to make them pay to get a copy we felt was wrong.  To implement a system on the website that would check the membership number against the database, so we could differentiate between members and non members, whilst possible is not something we have the time to implement or manage on an ongoing basis. 

Therefore we decided to make it freely available, which is in line with out charitable objects.

I hope that those who are not members who download the Course will be encouraged to join up.  I any event we will have helped the wider woodturning community which has to be good news for all of us.

However, the optional Assessment Day is only open to AWGB members.

Cheers Dave

Offline donwatson

• iron
« Reply #51 on: May 12, 2015, 04:48:45 PM »
Downloaded and had a look at the programme last night, after being reminded of it by Dave Wilcocks.
Very nicely produced and very professional looking. Thanks to everyone who made it happen.

take care
Don W

pennardesign

« Reply #52 on: May 24, 2015, 10:21:29 PM »
Grrrrr does not work on a MAC

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #53 on: May 25, 2015, 12:52:30 AM »
Actually that may not be entirely true...

If you are able to copy all the course files to your device, find the "player.html" (it might just appear as "player") file and launch that in your web browser. As long as you have flash player installed and working, it should run the course.

I just tested this on an android tablet and it works on there just fine.

If you don't have the CD, you will either need to extract the downloadable installer package from the website on a PC or use winzip or similar to extract all the files from a zip file (which isn't on the website yet).

If someone with an apple mac or ipad wants to test this and is competent enough with their device to figure it out from their end, let me know and I will organise the necessary file for download.

Andy Coates

« Reply #54 on: May 25, 2015, 11:16:14 AM »
MAC users can use "virtulabox". One of the Worshipful Company members had it up and running this morning on a mac in ten minutes. There are several very good winOS emulators and a couple of superb paid-for versions.

Offline fuzzyturns

• platinum
    • Fuzzy Turns
« Reply #55 on: May 25, 2015, 12:01:51 PM »
I think I should point out that although VirtualBox is a very good virtual machine, it is not a Windows operating system, it merely provides a framework within which another operating system can be run. Which in turn means, the user still needs a Windows license and an install CD. I, for one, do not have that and I do not intend to buy it, either.
I would also like to point out that there are several standards compliant formats for movies/videos which will play under all operating systems, and it should be quite easy for the production company to provide the DVD contents in such a format.
The ZIP file mentioned by Paul would be a great help for all MAC and Linux users, and the approach to run the contents via a browser may work well (although I'd have to have the zip file to test this). Another possible alternative would be to provide the DVD contents as an ISO image file, which can then be used to burn a DVD from it, and that DVD should play on pretty much all standard DVD players.

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #56 on: May 25, 2015, 06:05:29 PM »
The course is not a movie and it isn't on a DVD and it won't play on a DVD player!

I'm still working on the other options - watch this space...

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #57 on: May 25, 2015, 06:07:21 PM »
There are several very good winOS emulators and a couple of superb paid-for versions.

I am a very good imitator of a wino at times. ;)

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #58 on: May 26, 2015, 10:44:47 AM »
I have added a link from the website where you can run the course directly from the website instead of downloading it and installing on your own computer. This will work with non-windows devices as long as you have flash player installed and working

Here's the link www.awgb.co.uk/ltt/player.html

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #59 on: May 26, 2015, 09:00:24 PM »

Brilliant .. at last I'm able to view, before I'd get issues in setting up/opening, Adobe Flash would deny, then that and Shockwave Flash plugin would keep crashing each time I'd try to open.

This is a result .. well done Paul.

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''