Author Topic: Let's Teach Turning!  (Read 38869 times)

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
Re: Let's Teach Turning!
« Reply #30 on: April 27, 2015, 10:13:11 PM »
Been watching the video and I have to say well done to all involved at the AWGB this is a great idea and the video is well put together and I for one will be aiming to go on the assessment day.

It's for things like this that supports woodturning I joined the AWGB keep up the great work.

Ed

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #31 on: April 27, 2015, 10:40:08 PM »
Ok got it running on my mac but I'm using Parallels and windows in a virtual setup so unless you have something like this on your mac it won't work so it's the DVD and the TV

Ed

It's not a video DVD, actually it's not a DVD at all, it's a CD which contains the course application (which runs under Windows). I think I was calling it a DVD earlier but it's a CD - not that it makes any material difference!

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #32 on: April 27, 2015, 11:47:02 PM »
Hi Paul

Would the CD then run in a DVD player? many will play all types of format now days of course you would not get the interaction or be able to print off the pdf's

This question is not for me as I'm running this already just thinking about someone who has a mac or no PC

Ed

Andy Coates

« Reply #33 on: April 28, 2015, 07:35:41 AM »
It won't run in a DVD player as the file is a programme rather than a movie format file. Needs the interactivity, mouse controls Etc., of a computer.

Whilst this may annoy some, it was a product of what we wanted the CD to be...an interactive course, not a DVD movie you pop on and sit in front of and watch.

The idea here is that you watch...go away and do...recap if required, do again...and so on until finished.

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #34 on: April 28, 2015, 08:13:18 AM »
Apart from putting my hand up at a committee meeting I had absolutely nothing to do with the production of this course and CD. And now after viewing it over the last couple of evenings I would like to congratulate all of those involved with it, especially Peter and Dave. I thought the Youth Training initiative was the feather in the AWGB cap but with the advent of this latest release we now have a veritable headress!!
           This is what the AWGB is all about and this will effect woodturning around the world. Well done!!

(and now surely the time is right for more of you to get involved)

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #35 on: April 28, 2015, 08:46:32 AM »

Well said John (BHT) yes everyone involved in this CD are to be congratulated in fact all of the Committee/Trustees  need to be congratulated for the

Stirling work they carry out on our behalf All voluntary and welcome to the new Trustees.

Regards John 
John Smith

Offline David Buskell

• gold
    • At The Cutting Edge
« Reply #36 on: April 28, 2015, 01:04:40 PM »
Hi As I have said many times - we don't offer insurance advice. 

In Session 2 page 11 we introduce risk assessment and you will hear the tutor say:

"We’re going on now to cover a simple workshop risk assessment. 
We don’t expect you to teach this to your students but you should undertake a risk assessment prior to teaching people at your workshop or club.

It is likely that you will also have to make sure you do this for your insurance.  If you have any doubts about insurance and what you are covered for, or not, please contact your insurance company or broker for advice"

Dave

That's fine -  we can point anyone who takes a copy of the course to that.

[/quote]
David
At The Cutting Edge

stevie

« Reply #37 on: April 28, 2015, 08:37:42 PM »
Any chance of the software being adapted for android tablets ? ???

Andy Coates

« Reply #38 on: April 28, 2015, 09:49:03 PM »
only if you've got the £6k to pay for it!

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #39 on: April 29, 2015, 08:17:08 AM »
Come on Stevie if you had read through previous posts you would have notice previous questions where members were told it is Windows
I note you have been a member of the forum for 4 years and only 3 postings but that's your prerogative now you want the earth I apologize in advance if this comment offends you but I just needed to get it off my chest,the amount of work that has gone into producing this was phenomenal.

Regards John
John Smith

Offline Mark Sanger

• platinum
    • Mark Sanger Web Site
« Reply #40 on: April 29, 2015, 10:28:50 AM »
Well done to all involved it is a hugely positive step which undoubtedly took a huge amount of work, time and money to produce, I am looking forward to watching and learning from it. Thanks to all.

Offline Mark Sanger

• platinum
    • Mark Sanger Web Site
« Reply #41 on: April 29, 2015, 11:35:53 AM »
Just downloaded it no problem, only took 5 minutes, must be all those quad core processors lined up in my desk top  :) :) :). Uploaded to desk top without any issues, been watching some over a coffee, very professionally produced and I am looking forward to watching it all in stages when I get a bit more time free.

Thanks again

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #42 on: April 29, 2015, 12:10:32 PM »
Same here, downloaded in the background no problem. Started watching first section. Very concise and factual ....thank you to all involved in making it. I can see the amount of thought and effort that has gone into this.

pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline julcle

• platinum
« Reply #43 on: April 29, 2015, 04:19:04 PM »
You can certainly tell that it's been put together by a group of professional teachers. Very informative indeed well done
Crowvalley Woodturners
Julian

Offline Dave Atkinson

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Macclesfield
« Reply #44 on: April 29, 2015, 04:56:06 PM »
Thanks for all the positive feedback.   ;D ;D

Glad you like it.

Cheers Dave