Author Topic: which lathe?  (Read 7121 times)

Offline horrorboy64

• iron
which lathe?
« on: April 19, 2015, 07:49:59 AM »
I currently own  an old axminster CCBL lathe (Awvsl 1000 I think it's called now.), & am looking to upgrade to electronic variable speed & higher quality. I'm thinking of the axminster AT trade lathes, although the 1628 is probably more than I can afford. Has anybody any advice on warco lathes or older coronet style machines for upgrading? I've also looked at the record power CL4 but am not sure about the small spindle size & 1MT taper size. I mainly make small boxes & goblets but want to give myself the option to go larger if I want to. Many thanks.

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
Re: which lathe?
« Reply #1 on: April 20, 2015, 06:37:35 PM »
the AT Axminster lathe has the same swing as your current lathe,the 1628 looks like a great lathe and has the extra 2 ins of swing over your lathe,but has 33 x 3.5mm thread on the  spindle instead of 1" x 8 of yours,the record only has a 12 " swing,but will swivel out to do bigger bowls than the AT can,I`d go for the 1628 personaly,given a choice of those three lathes,when I upgraded from my CCVBL 1100 or the AWVSL 1000 as they now call it,I went for a Jet 3520B,but that no doubt will be miles out of your price range if a 1628 is haha.
welcome to my woodturning world

Offline Graham

• platinum
  • Chairman. www.DidcotTurners.club
« Reply #2 on: April 20, 2015, 07:00:45 PM »
The 1628 is a very good and well respected lathe that was my target for a while but then, like Eric, I said sod it and went for the Jet 3520b. I am as happy as a pig in muck. Brilliant lathe worth saving up for.
Regards
Graham
I have learnt the first rule of woodturning.
The internal diameter should never exceed the external width.
Nor the internal depth, the external height.
Does that make me an expert now ?

Online seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2015, 08:23:17 PM »
i'll 3rd the jet 3520B but if you can't afford it then try to save. best investment i ever made.

Offline burywoodturners

• gold
« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2015, 08:23:51 PM »
One of our members bought a new lathe with the 33mm thread. He contacted the manufacturers and was sent a 1"*8 adaptor free of charge and another member had the adaptor included with his new lathe
Ron

Offline horrorboy64

• iron
« Reply #5 on: April 20, 2015, 08:51:13 PM »
Yes, the jet is well out of my price range! I've had a look at a fellow club member's 1628 & really liked the look of it, but I don't know if I can wait the extra time it'll take to save double the money needed. However, I'm a bit concerned that if I buy the smaller lathe I'll regret it in the long run. Spindle size is not an issue, my supernova has an insert that I can remove. I only manage about 10-15 hours turning a week, so the best part of £1500 is a huge investment for a hobby, but I guess it's the old tale of choke once & appreciate at leisure. Think I'll aim at the 1628 for now & see how the saving goes this year!

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2015, 11:21:57 PM »
If it helps I have the 1628 which I've owned for about 16 months now, I've bombard it over that time and it runs for around 40 hours a week, I think that it's a great lathe for the money and well worth the investment.

Ed

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2015, 08:08:32 AM »
The Axminster AT 14 16VS is a very good lathe I have three of them and they are used for production work and teaching and have not given me any problems.
You can get a bed extension if you need it.
I have replaced the bearings on mine with better quality bearings but probably not nessesary.
Mine are on grey Record stands as I think they are better that the Axminster stand and half the price.
I also have a Nova DVR but rarely use it now that I have the Axminster lath's I find 14" is plenty .
Very few people want a bowl or platter more than 14" as it is a nice size to go on a coffee table or sideboard.

Regards George

The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline horrorboy64

• iron
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2015, 08:52:17 PM »
Thanks all for your thoughts. I've been looking at what I've turned in the last 2 years, & I've done nothing that the at1416 couldn't handle with room to spare. Considering the prices & the fact that I also want a sorby pro edge sharpening system, I  think the 1416 will do me for now. I could always start saving for one of the big boys later!
Thanks, Paul.

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2015, 07:27:59 AM »
The 14 16 VS  is a three phase motor but plugs into single phase which gives it bags of power and will also reverse.
If you are anywhere near Somerset you are welcome to come and have a go on mine.

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline Graham

• platinum
  • Chairman. www.DidcotTurners.club
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2015, 08:17:04 AM »
The 1416 is also a well respected lathe, and I like your choice of sharpener, mine works beautifully.
Regards
Graham
I have learnt the first rule of woodturning.
The internal diameter should never exceed the external width.
Nor the internal depth, the external height.
Does that make me an expert now ?

Offline horrorboy64

• iron
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2015, 07:05:47 PM »
Many thanks for the offer George,  but I'm as far east as you can go in Suffolk so it'd be quite a trek!  I'm thinking of going to the axminster shop in Kent & trying one out there if possible. I'll have a look at the record leg stand in the meantime.
Thanks Paul.

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2015, 08:36:22 AM »
if your near the A14 in Suffolk,might be easier to go to the Birmingham shop,it`ll be about the same distance as going to kent,saying that,just up the road you have Stiles and Bates in Kent,where you could look at the Record lathes and stands.
welcome to my woodturning world

Offline john taylor

• bronze
    • John Taylor Woodturner
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2015, 12:20:38 PM »
If you go west a bit to Peterborough and want to try one out you are welcome to try either of mine I have both the 1416 and the 1628.

John

Offline horrorboy64

• iron
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2015, 05:04:49 PM »
I was thinking of visiting stiles & bates at the same time, plus my wife is from Kent so I could drop her off at a friend's for the day☺. Thanks to everybody for the advice & kind offers to try your lathes out,  much appreciated.
Thanks Paul.