Author Topic: What price art?  (Read 31564 times)

Offline Richard Findley

• bronze
    • The Turner's Workshop
Re: What price art?
« Reply #60 on: April 15, 2015, 10:57:43 AM »
George

Did you take into account the day out of the workshop (£250?) and the 200 miles (@45p per mile thats £90) to deliver into your pricing? I think you need to find a decent carrier mate!

Les

I think you are approaching this with the right attitude, which is important in any business. It is a learning curve and it will get easier - although the small voice of doubt that says 'Is it too expensive?' and 'Is it too cheap?' never really leaves you. The driving force of having to put food on the table will always be a factor in pricing I think!

All the best

Richard

See more of my work at www.turnersworkshop.co.uk
Follow on Instagram: https://instagram.com/richard_findley

Offline TONY MALIN

• gold
  • Rugby Warwickshire
« Reply #61 on: April 15, 2015, 11:45:50 AM »
Richard
What made you think George does'nt know that? He's an old hand after all. It often shows!!

Offline Richard Findley

• bronze
    • The Turner's Workshop
« Reply #62 on: April 15, 2015, 12:07:24 PM »
George can handle a little gentle ribbing, I'm sure. My point is though, that everything needs taking into account when pricing, not just how long it takes you to make each piece.

Richard
See more of my work at www.turnersworkshop.co.uk
Follow on Instagram: https://instagram.com/richard_findley

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #63 on: April 15, 2015, 12:34:43 PM »
Hi Tony I not as old as you LOL

Hi Richard

This is not something I do very often because I keep my Galleries well stocked and I don't really trust carriers.
My furthest delivery yesterday was to the Dansel gallery and as an example she now has 41 pieces of mine.
I take on board what you are saying and agree 100% but I also make it a day out for myself and my wife .
I also had to call in to Mark Sanger's to give him his birthday present he is 50 tomorrow.

Regards George

The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #64 on: April 15, 2015, 12:58:37 PM »
but I also make it a day out for myself and my wife .
I also had to call in to Mark Sanger's to give him his birthday present he is 50 tomorrow.

Do Sue & Mark realise that are Tax deductable?
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline TONY MALIN

• gold
  • Rugby Warwickshire
« Reply #65 on: April 15, 2015, 02:06:19 PM »
and I forgot to mention he makes personal contact. A vital part of marketing.

George
You're not alone about being younger than me. I'm the oldest member of our club, and the guy who collects the money is a year younger. Apart from that we are four short on the committee.
I clocked up my 25th anniversary of my retirement a couple of weeks ago.

I just can't  understand all the election talk about drawing benefits at 55. There must be something artful going on. There again perhaps ART is the wrong word!!

Offline Mark Sanger

• platinum
    • Mark Sanger Web Site
« Reply #66 on: April 15, 2015, 02:35:48 PM »
Today I have driven over two hundred miles topping up galleries and I still have three more to do.
Just thought you would like to know. ;D ;D ;D

Regards George

I didn't know the Pound Shop had started opening galleries.  :D :D :D :D :D

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #67 on: April 15, 2015, 03:17:06 PM »
Very funny. :'( :'( :'( :'(

Offline Mark Sanger

• platinum
    • Mark Sanger Web Site
« Reply #68 on: April 15, 2015, 03:25:20 PM »
Very funny. :'( :'( :'( :'(

thought it was open season seeing you were taking the micky out of how old I was :) :) :) Your work is very good and you know it so don't expect me to blow smoke up your trouser leg. :)

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #69 on: April 15, 2015, 03:52:05 PM »
I would rather you did not go anywhere near my trouser leg my friendship only goes so far

Regards George

Offline Steve Jones

• gold
    • the woodturners
« Reply #70 on: April 18, 2015, 12:22:11 PM »
I find it very hard to answer this question as I am not in the market that requires art turning but for me I love looking at some of the artistic turning and I am amazed at the skills required.
Yes it is worth what someone will pay and if you can get a high price do so, but surely that skill must be rewarded with a fair price at least and should not be sold for less than an amount that covers all costs and a small profit at worst.
I agree a well known name does fetch a higher price but is that not just a reward for the turners skill but also a reward for continously producing quality work and a skill in marketing oneself.
You don't become well know by just producing high quality peices and these turners become well know because of hard work and abilities in other areas that produce financial rewards.

Offline Dancie

• bronze
« Reply #71 on: April 21, 2015, 05:29:52 PM »
Hello everyone,

I'm new to Wiltshire, about 14 months, new to woodturning , about 18 months and this is my first time on the forum.

In a previous life I was a creative advertising photographer, my work was published all over the world by various advertising agencies – so why aren't I still doing it? The biggest problem is that there is always someone out there to do it cheaper and most of Jo public don’t understand the finer qualities of what makes something of merit.

When I quoted on advertising shoots I would always aim to be the highest and it felt great to get the job, see my images published in magazines and posters and after a short period time get paid.

Never under sell yourself its irrelevant if its art or not when I was employed as a Photographer they were paying for 25 years or more experience.

My two pennath as a newbie . . . . . . . but what do I know.
Mistakes are proof that at least you're trying

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #72 on: April 21, 2015, 07:57:19 PM »
Hi Dancie,
              Welcome to the forum can we look forward to some great pictures of your turnings when you get going.

Regards John
John Smith

Offline Dancie

• bronze
« Reply #73 on: April 22, 2015, 08:22:46 AM »
Hello John,

Nice idea . . . . . .
Mistakes are proof that at least you're trying

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #74 on: April 22, 2015, 04:15:58 PM »
Hello Dancie,
                   welcome to the forum, you did,'t sat where in Wiltshire you are (if you don't want to make it public you could PM me if you wish, but are you aware that there is a club in Trowbridge and one near Swindon?