Author Topic: Spalted Beech Grolla.  (Read 2990 times)

Offline Roger Groom

• bronze
Spalted Beech Grolla.
« on: July 05, 2011, 07:59:30 PM »
Hi All
After seeing Dave Badkins Grolla earlier, I just have to have a go, and the attached is a prototype which I made to work out a plan of action, methodology etc. Its in a really punky piece of spalted beech. Dimensions are 7" high and 6" wide. This is an exercise in off centre turning which I did on a ball spiggot, glued in after hollowing out from the base. There are lots of things wrong with this piece which don't show on the pics. The top is far too thick and the base has not been glued in to make the most of the grain matching. I counterbalanced the offset by gaffer taping a block of wood on the light side on the vase. It worked a treat. I had to shift it as I turned each neck. But that is why I made a prototype. Hopefully on the next one I will have learnt by my mistakes. Feel free to lambast.
Roger G
« Last Edit: July 05, 2011, 08:06:53 PM by Roger Groom »

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
Re: Spalted Beech Grolla.
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 07:44:41 PM »

Hi Roger, I'd seen these before and I like your take on it. The black ends I'm still thinking on, they work, but just look odd, other than that the detail is fine, as is the finish, going be the pictures, very well done.

David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

DAVE BADKIN

« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2011, 09:25:22 AM »
Hi Roger well done on your grolla. they sure are difficult things to complete as you say just formulating a plan of what to do and when takes enough time.
Keep it up we may get a grolla appreciation club before long.
I say again well done.

Andy Coates

« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2011, 05:16:33 PM »
I like this, Roger. The middle picture is my favourite view. To say you said the wood was almost rotten you've done an incredible job with the finish!

Offline Roger Groom

• bronze
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2011, 07:24:51 PM »
Thanks Andy, David and Dave for your views. Much appreciated. This was a real fun project to make and I actually found quite easy to do. It's the planning that is paramount.
Roger G