Author Topic: Thread converters...  (Read 7848 times)

Offline ChrisF

• gold
Thread converters...
« on: April 09, 2015, 07:47:45 AM »
Can you get converters to allow me to use my current chuck which has a 3\4" x 16tpi thread on a spindle that is 1.5" x 6tpi?

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
Re: Thread converters...
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2015, 08:19:50 AM »
What chuck is it some have a removable backplate and some have an insert some your are stuck with what you have got.
From the size I guess you have a graduate lathe your best option is probably a new Axminster chuck.

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2015, 08:35:12 AM »
I agree with George's comments, not being an engineer I wonder if the strain placed on a 3/4"thread when used on an 1.5" spindle may be detrimental to the chuck.
I could be wrong of course but bear in mind that one is 4 times the size of the other. I have a graduate and the smallest thread I used (with an adaptor) is 1"x8.
     One of the problems using a thread adaptor is it throws the chuck out from the headstock therby creating vibration instead of dampening it.
 Always go for the correct thread if you can.

Offline ChrisF

• gold
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2015, 12:16:43 PM »
Thanks Guys, new chuck it is.  When exactly does the cash outflow diminish??   ;D

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2015, 12:37:04 PM »
Been doing it for nigh on 43 years now and no sign of the cash drainage slowing down.

Offline ChrisF

• gold
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2015, 12:48:43 PM »
Been doing it for nigh on 43 years now and no sign of the cash drainage slowing down.

Oh well, not that keen on money anyway.....

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2015, 04:57:44 PM »

Oh well, not that keen on money anyway.....

i'll take what you don't want then ;D

Offline ChrisF

• gold
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2015, 05:06:11 PM »

i'll take what you don't want then ;D

If only you'd said that this morning.......seems it all spoken for for at least the next 43 years now.....  :o

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2015, 08:14:16 PM »
Still laughing!

Still spending.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2015, 09:02:30 PM »
cash flow out never slows down and there`s 1.5 inch by 6 thread mentioned on the Axminster site,just checked,T02RL,but only on the Evolution SK114 chuck from what I can see.
welcome to my woodturning world

Offline Steve Jones

• gold
    • the woodturners
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2015, 11:21:49 PM »
I would not use a large thread converter on a small thread unless you were using it for smaller work and would  go for a dedicated chuck if finances allowed. Axminster do one as you mention and the  sorby patriot is available in this size. I am sure there will be many more available.

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2015, 07:03:09 AM »
Hi Chris

The Robert Sorby Patriot chuck like may other uses a thread converter one come's with the chuck and they you can buy another to suit. Sorby's have a deal on their chucks at the moment where the price as been dropped and they have added a chuck steb centre which is worth around 40.00 or so.

https://www.oliverswoodturning.co.uk/product/robert-sorby-patriot-chucks/

Ed

Offline ChrisF

• gold
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2015, 08:06:50 AM »
A new Sorby chuck with dedicated thread is sitting patiently in the workshop along with a free steb centre awaiting the arrival of the new beast on Tuesday  ;D   
All I need to do now is work out how the heck to get the lump from my car to the workshop.....appears it weighs a goodly few pounds......

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2015, 01:27:34 PM »
Chris

I think that your chuck should have a thread adaptor already screwed in Sorby's only do two direct threaded chucks M33 x 3.5 and 1 1/2" x 6 I think that the chuck body is threaded something like M35 and all the adaptors are produced to to then enable the chuck to fit the various spindles.

You could now order another adaptor to fit the second spindle size then just swap the adaptors as and when.

Ed

Offline ChrisF

• gold
« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2015, 02:41:57 PM »
Hi Ed

My existing chuck is an old Record-branded Vicmarc @ 3/4" x 16 and the advice here has been not to try using an adapter to go to the required 1.5" x 6 on the new lathe.  I've therefore bought a new Sorby with a direct thread to fit the new lathe which should make a much stronger fitting and reduce the potential for vibration.  At least that's what I'm told! 

I think the implied promise is that it will, overnight, improve my turning by approximately 136%  ;D