Author Topic: How times change  (Read 5537 times)

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
How times change
« on: April 21, 2015, 08:14:54 AM »
How times change, eh! In the wee small hours of the night, I was reading a book by one of our most highly respected and revered wood turners. A gentleman who has inspired many of us, whose books can be found in many a woodturner's library and whose influence is felt (consciously or sub-consciously) in much of the work that we produce. In this book, there was a section dealing with projects and the first amongst these was the simple chopping board. Take a 1.5" plank of sycamore, skim it through the thicknesser and drill a hold in the centre of what you decide will be the underside. At this point, I'm immediately thinking to myself, 'How's he going to overcome that when he reverses it?' The simple answer, in his paragraph dealing with finishing the board, was to fill it with plastic wood. Now admittedly, this book was published in 1998.

So it prompted me lobby your wealth of tips and techniques, and to ask the question, 'How would you mount and finish such a simple shape?' Remember, it's a featureless, flat disk which has a simple radiussed edge. For the sake of ingenuity and creative thinking, let's assume that we don't all have a vacuum chuck!

Les
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Re: How times change
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2015, 08:20:00 AM »
I would glue a tenon onto the one side with hot glue then clean the face. another tenon glued and trued up and reverse. No marks, easy to clean glue off.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Steve Jones

• gold
    • the woodturners
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2015, 08:49:34 AM »
Yes Les, how times change. I used to make many cheese boards with this method ( mostly beech) and filled them with a wood dowel. Now due to cost and chopping boards being CNC produced I don't make any, just not able to make a living with them. If I was asked to make a special board and if the price justified it I too would use the hot glue method. But like you say sadly times have changed and this is one of the items that I no longer get asked to produce.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2015, 09:39:53 AM »
Like Pete says.

I keep a slack handful of waste wood tenons laying around for just this purpose.

Select one, skim it true, glue on item, turn it, cut-off.

Job done
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Steve Jones

• gold
    • the woodturners
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2015, 10:26:43 AM »
I do turn a number of flat discs that are for the top of display stands for a shop fitting firm. They are just 8"dia with a full radius edge. I have two flat wooden plates covered in rubber, one fits in the chuck and the other I have made to fit an old revolving center and I just hold the job in between using pressure from the tailstock this method obviously does not give you the option to skim the face or sand it but if the chopping board was plain I am sure this would work.
Ps. I would not use this method on large dia or any timber out of balance.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2015, 10:33:24 AM by Steve Jones »

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2015, 10:53:51 AM »
I use a vacuum chuck for mine. No tenon required!  ;D

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2015, 11:41:31 AM »
i turn between centers to do the rim and then mount in my 16" plate jaws to tidy up the faces.

Offline Mark Sanger

• platinum
    • Mark Sanger Web Site
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2015, 11:51:14 AM »
I would use my Vacuum chuck. If not that I would make dedicated oversize jaws as seventh has already highlighted.

Offline Richard Findley

• bronze
    • The Turner's Workshop
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2015, 12:29:59 PM »
I do turn a number of flat discs that are for the top of display stands for a shop fitting firm. They are just 8"dia with a full radius edge. I have two flat wooden plates covered in rubber, one fits in the chuck and the other I have made to fit an old revolving center and I just hold the job in between using pressure from the tailstock this method obviously does not give you the option to skim the face or sand it but if the chopping board was plain I am sure this would work.
Ps. I would not use this method on large dia or any timber out of balance.

I do it like Steve, although I don't have rubber pads, I have wooden blocks faced with 400g abrasive. If you are able to clean the faces first and all you need to do is turn the edge, this is the quickest and easiest way. I echo Steve's comment regarding only doing this with properly flattened and balanced timber!

Cheers

Richard
See more of my work at www.turnersworkshop.co.uk
Follow on Instagram: https://instagram.com/richard_findley

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2015, 04:50:47 PM »
I don't do them but I would use my vacuum chuck.

Ed

Offline Graham

• platinum
  • Chairman. www.DidcotTurners.club
« Reply #10 on: April 21, 2015, 05:05:23 PM »
I also do the edge between centres and then use cole jaws. If the plate is to big for that then a couple of six inch nails would work.
Regards
Graham
I have learnt the first rule of woodturning.
The internal diameter should never exceed the external width.
Nor the internal depth, the external height.
Does that make me an expert now ?

Offline Les Symonds

• platinum
    • Pren
« Reply #11 on: April 21, 2015, 07:13:36 PM »
....a couple of six inch nails would work.
....as in, 'Knock 'em in around the edge and bend 'em over'?  ;)
Education is important, but wood turning is importanter.

Offline Graham

• platinum
  • Chairman. www.DidcotTurners.club
« Reply #12 on: April 21, 2015, 07:23:54 PM »
....a couple of six inch nails would work.
....as in, 'Knock 'em in around the edge and bend 'em over'?  ;)
Of course.  :)
Regards
Graham
I have learnt the first rule of woodturning.
The internal diameter should never exceed the external width.
Nor the internal depth, the external height.
Does that make me an expert now ?