Author Topic: Union Graduate  (Read 7416 times)

Offline ChrisF

• gold
Union Graduate
« on: April 07, 2015, 02:48:07 PM »
Hi

I'm going to look at a Union Graduate short bed tomorrow.  It's variable speed with an inverter so 240v supply.  Is there anything in particular I should look out for or ask about?

Chris

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
Re: Union Graduate
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2015, 06:36:28 PM »
Hi Chris, first thing that springs to mind is make sure it runs. Have a listen to it running, it should be smooth and very quiet. Use a bit of wood and listen to the bearings, there should be no rumble. Check the wear on the drive belt, the inside of the belt should not have bits missing and it should feel flexible. Ensure that the toolrest and tailstock slide easily up and down the lathe bed.
    I never worrt about the looks of a machine, it is after all only paint, but it can indicate how it was looked after and how much work it has done. I would also ask what thread it is, the older models are 1 1/4"x 6 and the newer ones 33mm. This could affect what bits you buy for it.
Hope this helps
Good luck.
(no more than £1000)

Offline ALAN THOMAS RPT

• copper
    • atwoodturning.com
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2015, 06:43:53 PM »
Hi Chris further to what John says check the bottom of the casting for cracks as well, repairs can be expensive ( I used to work at a place that did cold casting repairs of cast iron ). Good luck, if you get a good one they are a joy to work on.
just one last cut and it will be perf...oh boll.....!

Offline steve w

• bronze
« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2015, 06:59:27 PM »
not much you can check as everything is replaceable - however a check list would be - Belt wear, play in main drive bearings, there are 2 grease points - one for each side of the drive shaft - the one is inside one external - i would make sure it has all the correct accessories - swan neck support and rest support - long and short tool rest, i have a sorby chuck with thread converter which also spaces the chuck from the drive. mine is rough looking but runs well.  i like mine but would like it to be vari speed.
why do i feel the need to turn a block of wood into shavings?

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2015, 11:01:56 PM »
not much you can check as everything is replaceable - however a check list would be - Belt wear, play in main drive bearings, there are 2 grease points - one for each side of the drive shaft - the one is inside one external - i would make sure it has all the correct accessories - swan neck support and rest support - long and short tool rest, i have a sorby chuck with thread converter which also spaces the chuck from the drive. mine is rough looking but runs well.  i like mine but would like it to be vari speed.

Not call that Rough looking at all, Steve, Very nice piece of kit .. can't find to post the GREEN MAN ..   :'( ..  You'll make some serious piece on that given time, it has run for a good few years without vari-speed an will fore along time to come .. after all it's just to change 3 speeds .. then to convert .. 8) ..

I've used a couple before now and they're nice Lathes.

Cheers  David

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline ChrisF

• gold
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2015, 04:25:33 PM »
Thanks all, very helpful.    Did the deal.....it's in nice condition and has the conversion to bring the spindle height to 12.5" so nice big bowls there!  It's not currently VS but he's doing the conversion.  Hope fully collect it in a week or two.

Offline steve w

• bronze
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2015, 06:12:23 PM »
Thanks all, very helpful.    Did the deal.....it's in nice condition and has the conversion to bring the spindle height to 12.5" so nice big bowls there!  It's not currently VS but he's doing the conversion.  Hope fully collect it in a week or two.

sounds good - will look forward to seeing some pictures of your new lathe. Steve
why do i feel the need to turn a block of wood into shavings?

Offline ChrisF

• gold
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2015, 11:45:03 AM »
So, picked it up yesterday.  Going to the chiro today  ;D

Eventually go it in the car, eventually got it out of the car, eventually got it in the workshop and upright - Result!

Seems to work fine, the VS is great, the lack of flex and vibration is fantastic.  Just need to get it bolted to the stand and possibly bolt the stand to the floor, but only once I'm certain about exactly where it's going.  It's actually a lot more stable than it looks on the stand but does need bolting and I'll be adding extra support around the bottom of the casting.

One thing I'm unsure about.....I was planning on making and using an mdf pressure plate (like Richard Findley showed in the recent Woodturner mag) to use as a bowl reverser.  However, the shape of the tailstock means it can't get very close to the headstock, certainly not close enough.  I suppose I could reverse the tailstock whenever I need to use it that way, but it's a big heavy lump (it can't stay that way round as it would get in the way of the tool rest).  Having said that, cole-type jaws would be time consuming to change on the chuck, so maybe it's not such a big deal.....sorry, chuntering away to myself, feel free to join in  ;D ;D

The VS is excellent, gives variable speed from very slow indeed to about 50% faster than the speed set on the pulleys, all operated from a pendulum that can be placed wherever suits best.  It also allows reverse......but my chuck has no means of securing it so I won't be reversing very often....

Looking forward to having a proper play  ;D ;D ;D ;D

Chris