Author Topic: Vase/Hollow form from new member  (Read 4458 times)

GREEN MAN

Vase/Hollow form from new member
« on: April 07, 2015, 11:09:54 PM »
Hello folks apologies for my sense of humour in my first post!  :-[ Time to try and make amends/friends and put some work on the forum.

Your turn to get your own back so C & C gratefully received! (Feels like I'm about to appear on 'Dragons Den')  :)

This one measures approx. 14" x 9" I'll let you experts guess what the wood is!

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
Re: Vase/Hollow form from new member
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2015, 11:28:46 PM »
Hi green man

I'm no expert but I have to say I really like this  :)

I'll take a wild guess at the wood cherry

All the best

Ed

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2015, 11:55:29 PM »
really nice work there mate.

looks like either horse chestnut or a maple

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2015, 12:40:22 AM »

Wynn ... is it.

That's a really nice piece, slightly over large image to see the form as a whole, yet sharp details and nicely photographed.

Not viewing the whole form the neck could be a little to wide, yet that's my opinion.

Nice light mellow glow, not mentioned the finish, oil (Danish) and buffed or only oil, it's well finished for Willow. 

Nice first post.  Cheers  David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline Graham

• platinum
  • Chairman. www.DidcotTurners.club
« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2015, 08:36:23 AM »
I am not sure I follow the currant obsession with holey pieces but I do like the shape. It flows beautifully and is a good looking piece.
Regards
Graham
I have learnt the first rule of woodturning.
The internal diameter should never exceed the external width.
Nor the internal depth, the external height.
Does that make me an expert now ?

Offline Mark Sanger

• platinum
    • Mark Sanger Web Site
« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2015, 10:57:15 AM »
No need to apologise for your humor, mine is much more challenging, just on an open forum I try to keep it sensible  :) :) as 99% of my jokes are below the political correctness line.  :) :)

Looking forward to seeing more of your work. Like these holey vessels, not an easy for to get this one and it is very pleasing. Thanks for sharing.

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2015, 11:02:41 AM »
I like holy work its shows the effort and skill used to turn a piece to look good and finished nicely like this piece is,as for sense of humour were all weird and wonderful with our senses of humour here haha,cheers,

Eric.
welcome to my woodturning world

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2015, 12:20:49 PM »
As someone who probably makes about 90% holey work I have to say I like this. Shape etc is all down to personal preference but apart from this like it a lot.

pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2015, 06:54:01 PM »
I'm away from home at the moment and not able to view your pictures, but from everyone's response I'm looking forward to it.

Just a thought, if you want to play 'Guess the wood' a game we do play occasionally, don't name the wood in the photo name, its a bit of a giveaway!
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

GREEN MAN

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2015, 08:01:22 PM »
Hello folks,  just got in and really pleased to receive such positive comments from people who's work I have long admired - so thank you all for taking the time to comment.

I realised my mistake after posting in naming the image after the wood from which it was made - whoops! 

The image did come out somewhat larger than expected (1728 x 2304), so I realise I need to resize it to view properly.  Is there a size one of you can recommend?  My computer can resize it in (1280 x 960) or (640 x480).

The finish was multiple coats of Danish Oil and then buffed.

I realise all this holey stuff doesn't suit everyone's taste but I'm having great fun with it at the moment.  Finding the knottiest, contorted piece of ugly wood and sticking on the lathe to reveal all the secrets inside just does it for me I'm afraid!  The wood kind of dictates the final shape of the piece as rot pockets and holes appear as you turn and you have to adjust the form around these.  I just love chasing a ripple through a stressed piece of wood, for it to appear through a hole and you get the texture of a wave on the side of the hole.  (I think I've got a photo of this somewhere)

I guess that's what's great about woodturning its suits so many different people, with so many different tastes.  No one style or form is necessarily better than another.  Some people go for shape, some texture, some colour or all together!  The important thing is they are all hand made out of a natural material.

Many thanks again to all of you who commented with all of your different tastes, styles and sources of inspiration!

Kind regards

David

Offline Turners cabin

• bronze
    • Turners Cabin
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2015, 08:05:26 PM »
really nice work there mate.

looks like either horse chestnut or a maple
i would say it was a soft wood looking at the size of the piths in the knots
good looking form though

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #11 on: April 08, 2015, 08:13:34 PM »
Hi David,
            The recommended size is 640X480 I think. I look forward to looking at the resized images it is nice to see the whole piece.

Regards John
John Smith

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #12 on: April 09, 2015, 07:08:58 AM »
Hello folks,  just got in and really pleased to receive such positive comments from people who's work I have long admired - so thank you all for taking the time to comment.

I realised my mistake after posting in naming the image after the wood from which it was made - whoops! 

The image did come out somewhat larger than expected (1728 x 2304), so I realise I need to resize it to view properly.  Is there a size one of you can recommend?  My computer can resize it in (1280 x 960) or (640 x480).

The finish was multiple coats of Danish Oil and then buffed.

I realise all this holey stuff doesn't suit everyone's taste but I'm having great fun with it at the moment.  Finding the knottiest, contorted piece of ugly wood and sticking on the lathe to reveal all the secrets inside just does it for me I'm afraid!  The wood kind of dictates the final shape of the piece as rot pockets and holes appear as you turn and you have to adjust the form around these.  I just love chasing a ripple through a stressed piece of wood, for it to appear through a hole and you get the texture of a wave on the side of the hole.  (I think I've got a photo of this somewhere)

I guess that's what's great about woodturning its suits so many different people, with so many different tastes.  No one style or form is necessarily better than another.  Some people go for shape, some texture, some colour or all together!  The important thing is they are all hand made out of a natural material.

Many thanks again to all of you who commented with all of your different tastes, styles and sources of inspiration!

Kind regards

David

Well put David never a truer word.

I missed the willow in the image name but in my defense I had resized the image to see it.

If there's an image that to large for your screen all you need do is hold down the control key while tapping the - key and the screen resizes you might not be able to read the text but you can see the whole image repeat but with the + key to bring the screen back to size. (on a Mac its the cmd key that you hold down)

Ed

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #13 on: April 10, 2015, 04:54:18 PM »
Well home again and a decent coffee inside of me so thinking better now.

I've taken the opportunity to look at the attached images. So first the I Like bit's;

For a fibrous timber you've achieved a great finish, the choice of oil seems to have suited it well and has managed to bring out the branch oysters well. The areas where the bark has come away or the holes are well defined, having sharp transitions into them, so defiantly not over-sanded.

If I am being extremely critical about 2" down (or 50mm if your that way inclined) the curve of the vase takes a too sharp a turn and then the last section seems a little flat, a shame as the curve from the base to that point is very good. If not for that the top opening would have fitted the design well.

We do seem to have a ting for this sort of work (holes and imperfect timber) in this forum, so I'm sure you'll fit in very well.

For your first post you've made a great start, looking forward to your future postings already.

Bryan
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!