Author Topic: Workshop's going up at last  (Read 16100 times)

Offline Philip Green

• bronze
    • No Mans Land
Re: Workshop's going up at last
« Reply #30 on: July 19, 2011, 08:11:03 PM »
Hot water is a must with a toilet so I would have it even if it were not demanded by building regs. I have installed an over sink instant hot water heater and there is no cold tap so in use, the knob is turned to the water temperature required.

Although it is rated at 3kW, it is only on for a few seconds at a time and will only consume that sort of power if used on full heat. This makes it very ecconomical to use, probably less than 1kW hour per month.
Philip from sunny St Issey

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #31 on: July 20, 2011, 01:17:04 AM »

Cheers Philip,  All mods/cons these days.. beats the times of having to break ice on the water butt..   ;D ...

Did you use metal ducting an boxes for the cable runs and how many points/lights have you been able to have ..  has it been costly ..  not that I need to be frightened, as I've still to wire mine ...   boss permitting ..   ??? ...

3 fine days you'll be up an running by the weekend, take care with the heavy lifting ...  need to see you turning an that's not in bed.

David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

theblindwoodturner

« Reply #32 on: July 20, 2011, 06:12:39 AM »
I'm officially jealous lol. water, own loo, heating, etc. sounds amazing.

a lottery win would be nice. then I could build my dream workshop.

lew

Offline Katchin

• bronze
« Reply #33 on: July 20, 2011, 12:56:59 PM »
not necessarily, this was my big news after getting the 'News about your ticket!' email this morning:-

19/07/11
Congratulations! You're a winner
£2.70
EuroMillions ticket number 1335797675
This prize has already been paid to your National Lottery Account.

whooptedoo
John Simon Lawrenson

theblindwoodturner

« Reply #34 on: July 20, 2011, 01:15:13 PM »
you poor thing lol. better luck next time.

lew

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #35 on: July 26, 2011, 05:53:59 PM »

How's the Shop looking ...   ??? ...   Have you run out of Steam ...    :) ....

Offline Philip Green

• bronze
    • No Mans Land
« Reply #36 on: July 26, 2011, 08:02:55 PM »
Been busy doing the wiring and extraction system piping. My electrician has been ill so has been unable to connect the workshop to the mains. He says he will be here tomorrow. I hope so as I have a competition on Friday and have yet to produce an entry.

Moved a load of my machinary & benches in today and put in the mezanine floor over the toilet to create about a cubic metre of wood storage.

The pic is the first machine in place and shows the wiring & extraction system port.

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #37 on: July 27, 2011, 01:48:21 AM »

Philip,  Best piece of kit to have in any shop ...   Plenty of ducting for extractor ...  have you a air return from the extractor, will re-filter air from the room come back into the Shop or will it be lost, can't go drawing out warm air in the winter ..  how have you setup the Vac. to come on, will you have to go and turn it on each time or is it set automatically to start or on constantly ..

Wiring looks neat, when ...   ??? ...  I get mine done I was thinking as to have a pair of double outlets for each lathe/machine, lathe, light, mains drill and my Vac. is has no place to go so plugs in too ..  as I find now with the extension 4 will not do at times,  so hope you'll not have to enlarge on your's.

We'll be hoping for the electrician being with you today ...  can't miss another competition,  happy turning.

David

Offline Philip Green

• bronze
    • No Mans Land
« Reply #38 on: July 28, 2011, 05:42:23 PM »
Up and running just in time to do my competition piece. No pic yet though.

I did think of putting pairs of doubles but decided against it except in the two alcoves so I have some spares so should I change my mind I can easily add more immediately to the side of existing doubles. One of the beauties of using trunking for the wiring is it's flexibility so adding more points elsewhere is so easy. I plan to put a single on the ceiling when I get around to fitting the dust extractor up there. Until then it will live under the bench next to the lathe.

I have added a switch on the wall to control the dust extractor but eventually, it will be controlled by microswitches on the gates via a relay. It is noisier than I expected so I will make use of the left over insulation panels which are supposed to be good for sound as well as heat insulation.

Now that we have some decent weather and my sister & brother in law are staying with us, I will have to get on and complete coating the outside, giving them paint brushes of course.

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #39 on: July 28, 2011, 06:44:19 PM »

:D ...  cheers on the update ...  so like it when a plan comes together, which your's has done, it will be be easy to extend the ring main with more points.

Best of luck with the competition piece tomorrow, it will be C.A.W. better not let on as to what your doing as a Spindle piece.

Do remember the extra paint brushes, hate for them to have nothing to do ........

David

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #40 on: August 18, 2011, 12:21:02 AM »

Philip,  Had it not gone down well, the paint bush idea with your sister/brother in law,  are you well and OK ...   no move on the build front ...   ??? ..

Cheers   David