Author Topic: Workshop's going up at last  (Read 16096 times)

Offline Philip Green

• bronze
    • No Mans Land
Re: Workshop's going up at last
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2011, 10:10:56 PM »
End of day two.

The crew were on half day and they had a few problems with bits missing so we are not as far on as we had hoped today but they are bring an extra body on site tomorrow to get back on track.

Ordered the electrical bits, bought the floor varnish and the extraction equipment arrived from Axminster.

The first picture was taken first thing this morning from my bedroom window as was the second picture taken this evening.

They expect to finish building tomorrow so I will be able to treat the wood over the weekend.
Philip from sunny St Issey

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #16 on: July 08, 2011, 01:33:52 PM »

Philip, the build is looking good and the extra bod, today should make up the time..  it sounds like, well is, a giant jigsaw in putting it together, hope the missing parts are there in it all.  As it takes shape, I wonder if the doors could have been to the right, you'd not have to back fill and make up or have steps into the shop, I know, the last thing I need to do is step up some distance that it is into my shop, more so with carrying stuff in or out, but your plans will come together.

You've mentioned floor varnish, is this the timber treatment, as for the floor you'd best have a non-slip coating, if not carpeted,  as shaving or any dust will make it slippery..

Hope it stays dry for you, given the wonderful Kernow climate at times.

David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline Philip Green

• bronze
    • No Mans Land
« Reply #17 on: July 08, 2011, 07:52:42 PM »
End of day three.

Three men on site today but a problems putting the finishing touches to the roof structure delayed things a bit so they did not get as far as they expected. Anyway, at least it is watertight and if the wood preservative that I ordered arrives tomorrow, we will be able to coat the outside over the weekend.

The electrical bits arrived but the trims between roof, walls and beams have yet to be fitted so I am unable to start the wiring.

The missing parts were a nuisance but they managed to manufacture replacements out of spare logs.

The door was intentionally at the left end as it is in line with the garden gate plus if it was at the other end, I would almost be stepping out onto the ceptic tank top which is uneven and could be slippery.

Still plenty I can do over the weekend.

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #18 on: July 12, 2011, 01:51:10 AM »

Philip,  Has things come to a halt...    ??? ...   How is the build going..  Trust all is well....  Can we move in on the weekend...   ;) ...

David

Offline Philip Green

• bronze
    • No Mans Land
« Reply #19 on: July 12, 2011, 12:41:52 PM »
The contractor ended the week about a day behind schedule. Over the weekend, we managed to coat a bit over half the outside with the first coat of wood preservative.

Yesterday, the floor was laid and the internal trim was fitted. The rest of the roof shingles and trim should be fitted today.

I should be able to work on the floor tomorrow. I would start this evening but it's club night.

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #20 on: July 12, 2011, 02:07:48 PM »

Cheers Philip,  good to see it's coming a long to a steady pace.   Enjoy your Club nite, who are you with.

On wards and up wards...  well for the last of the shingles...    ;D ...    Tke care.

David

Offline Philip Green

• bronze
    • No Mans Land
« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2011, 03:12:20 PM »
I'm with two clubs. Tonight, it is Treknow Woodturners. Last night I went for a practical session with Cornwall Association of Woodturners. I started my competition piece for tonight and left it on their lathe. I missed their last club night at the end of June as I was visiting my son in Portsmouth but my entry into the competition was submitted for me. The competition was for miniature turning; that is something that will fit into a 35mm film can. My entry was a box within a box within a box and it got me my first win in the beginner's class.

The roof is almost completed.

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2011, 06:38:38 PM »

Good to here the roof is finished, all's water tight.   I was with C.A.W. up until 2006..  so you've been under the watchful eye of Mike Hoskins, is he still running it all !!!!  how can one leave a piece behind..  then with the build you've a lot on your mind and you don't want to be locked in Wheal Jane for the night, that's a long run for you isn't it..  you should be off to Trenow Club at Bodmin before now, so hear from you again.

C.A.W's site is not up todate, so can't is your June TOTY winning piece...    ??? ...

Cheers for now.           David

Offline Philip Green

• bronze
    • No Mans Land
« Reply #23 on: July 12, 2011, 09:56:11 PM »
Mike is still our turning guru but I am receiving regular tuition from two of our instructors. The CAW web site is definitely out of date and the email link does not seem to work.

Surprisingly enough, it only takes thirty five minutes to reach Wheel Jane, fifteen minutes longer than it takes to get to Bodmin. Besides, the stress level of driving 25 miles in Cornwall is only about half of my old 7 mile drive to work in West London.

Anyway, back to business. The first photo is of the front of the completed workshop and the next two are the first glimpse of the inside.

The final photo is my competition entry.

Offline Philip Green

• bronze
    • No Mans Land
« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2011, 06:46:18 PM »
Today I managed to apply three coats on the floor and coated most of the front of the workshop with preservative. I felt like I should be a contortionist to get up under the eaves. I also bought the fittings for the toilet. The plumber and electrician are booked for Monday.

Jobs for tomorrow: finish the floor, start the wiring and do more of the outside. For the electrics, I am using trunking and individual wires which is a technique I have not used since I was an apprentice but it will be a lot tidier, easier and cheaper than the alternative twin and earth system.

The inside photo is a pretty good representation of the colour of the floor.

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #25 on: July 13, 2011, 07:07:25 PM »
Hi Philip, It has been very interesting following the construction of your new workshop it looks great good enough to live in, perhaps that's your plan I look forward to seeing the photos when it is fully equipped and finished.Regards John
John Smith

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #26 on: July 14, 2011, 12:46:31 AM »

Hi Philip,  John has the same idea as to it's a holiday let..    ;D ...   it's looking good, as is the floor..  I'd like to have my cable run done the same, it would be a space saver with trunking and as you've said cheaper...   when !!! we get round to it, see if can find a electrician that will do it..

That's not a bad time to Wheal Jane. given it's the back of beyond..  what do you go North Altantic Highway, A30, then through Truro and into no mans land.. those lanes..  an as for dark winter nites..   ??? ...   I once turned right at the entrance to go back to Penzance..  thinking it more direct to St Day/ Chasewater..  was it ***** ... not a sign..  any thing, don't know where I went or where I came out..  somewhere way the back of Redruth...  a right emmit...    :-[  ...    talking of emmits, they'd add to the journey time more into the summer ....   >:( ...   then Kernow such a gentle pace, slow, layed back, can almost is it stop..  it's good to see your getting the contractors in..  I found it would be Directly.. an if given wednesday..  be sure as to find out which month..   ;D ...  then that was penwith .. the twilight zone ..  I lived it and miss it ...   :'(  ...

That's a nice set of boxes, would have got my vote too ...  had the same contest maybe 2005, December .. of all the ideas, I came up with a christmas tree, about 1/2" high, should have had presents and lights plus a star, may of won then .. it's here somewhere ..   think Mike won with a table, wine bottle and 4 glasses ..

Well hoping you still have fine weather and see the next stage done soon.             David

petjeffery

« Reply #27 on: July 16, 2011, 09:50:53 AM »
now thats what i call a work shop  it looking great  cant wait to see it with all the tools in it

Offline Philip Green

• bronze
    • No Mans Land
« Reply #28 on: July 19, 2011, 06:47:39 PM »
The plumber's done his bit so I have a working toilet and water supply. I have a stand pipe on the end of the workshop for watering the garden so that's a bonus.

The wiring took much longer to do than I anticipated but I have finally completed it. It was hard work putting up the trunking but it was worth it as it is much neater than using twin & earth would have been. It still has to be connected to the mains supply and be tested but that's for another day.

Despite the wet and mud covering my nice new varnished floor, it has not proved to be at all slippery.

Work for the next week or so:-
  • Weather permitting, tomorrow I will move a desk that is currently taking up space in our dining room into it's new home.
  • The next big job is to put in the dust extraction system.
  • If we have a few consecutive dry days, I will complete the outside.
  • Once I have power, I will move my machinary in although much of it will live on the floor for now.

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #29 on: July 19, 2011, 07:06:05 PM »

Philip,  Glad to hear your flushed with success so far with the build..   ;D ...  is that hot water too.

For the 3rd week in July the weather is xxxxxx ...  lets hope it will get better,   when I hear of Global Warming ...  they need hanging ..   :D ..
Oh ...  it's the Jet streams ..  taken them along time to come up with that load of xxxx ....

Wishing us all better weather and the best with the build ...  keep  :) .. 

David