Author Topic: Hollowing tool recommendations please.  (Read 11505 times)

theblindwoodturner

Hollowing tool recommendations please.
« on: July 04, 2011, 09:51:37 PM »
Hi folks.

These days, the market is flooding with new hollowing tools with different designs and feature sets.

I am looking for a hollowing tool which is relatively large, comfortable, easy to set up and maintain and delivers a cut to be proud of.

any advice welcome.

cheers

lew

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
Re: Hollowing tool recommendations please.
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2011, 07:37:18 PM »
Hi Lew, I have both of the Rolly Munro Hollowing tools I have found these great.They are more expensive than some but the quality is great they are made in New Zealand. As they say you get what you pay for.Regards John
John Smith

theblindwoodturner

« Reply #2 on: July 06, 2011, 09:13:46 PM »
Thankyou John, I appreciate that. Could you give me an idea of the maximum hollowing depth I could achieve with the mega set?

cheers.

lew

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2011, 09:51:49 PM »
Hi Lew, Have a look at this link www.rollymunro.co.nz  Regards John
John Smith

Offline BrianH

• gold
« Reply #4 on: July 07, 2011, 01:58:15 PM »
I think you will find that the max turning depth has nothing to do with the make or model of tool but the leverage forces involved. I would recommend a newby hollower restrict him(her)self to about 1/3rd the total length of the tool in use increasing this to about a half as experience builds. This assumes that the tool rest is positioned as near the vessel's opening as possible to minimise the overhang.
All the best
Brian

Offline Mark Hancock

• bronze
    • Mark Hancock
« Reply #5 on: July 07, 2011, 03:15:23 PM »
Thankyou John, I appreciate that. Could you give me an idea of the maximum hollowing depth I could achieve with the mega set?

cheers.

lew
Hi Lew
Just to clarify there are 3 sizes of Munro hollowing tool, the Mini on a 1/2" shaft, the Standard on a 5/8" shaft and the Mega/Jumbo on a 3/4" shaft. The Standard and the Mega both use the same design and size of head.
http://www.magma-tools.de/Director/idKey/GRP1139610270922/name/Munro-Tool/
The Mini & Standard are available through Axminster and their agents and the Jumbo may be available through Classic Hand Tools

Mark

theblindwoodturner

« Reply #6 on: July 07, 2011, 03:38:24 PM »
Hi Brian, thanks for your comments. I've been hollowing for a number of years but have had some trouble with one or two products in the past and need a stable solution. I like the sound of the munro tool and might check this out.

cheers

lew

Tim Davies

« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2011, 08:30:02 AM »
Hi Lew
I've had a set of Munro's for about two years now.  It took a little while to appreciate them and discover all the quirks, but now I find that I use them more and more as confidence grows. They will remove woods fast when needed and make controlled cuts and fine finishing.  Great for getting under rims.  I think that they are a great tool.  Sorby now make something similar, but having looked at it and tried it out, I prefer the Munro.
Timd

theblindwoodturner

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2011, 08:52:28 AM »
now I feel like a Gerbil powering a lathe.

I'm between 3 hollowing rigs and now confused lol

The threee are:

Munro system,

Woodcut proforme system (Phil Irons Woodturning ltd)

Big brother 2 system from hamlet / henry taylor.

lew

Andy Coates

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2011, 06:47:32 PM »
I think you're confusing yourself, Lew.

They're not "rigs", but deep hollowing tools. A DH rig is a captivating device, or combined cutter and rigid delivery system. A DHT is for hollowing. A DHT RIG is for hollowing without the physical stress involved in the DHT alone.

theblindwoodturner

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2011, 07:36:10 PM »
lol I know. it's my way of speaking. coming from a family of engineers, builders and joiners, conversations get technical lol.

As good as the though of a complete rig is, I would be happier with the tool system itself.

Just waiting on contact with a chap at Crown tools.

been busy painting fence panels today. will finish tomorrow or thursday at the latest. having to replace panels for security and privacy.

so just catching up on things.

lew

Offline john taylor

• bronze
    • John Taylor Woodturner
« Reply #11 on: July 13, 2011, 09:53:20 AM »
If you are interested in the crown system, which has had a lot of good reviews, I would suggest getting in touch with Mark Sanger http://www.awgb.co.uk/awgbforum/index.php?action=profile;u=56 as he is a pro turner and not only uses them himself but also sells them.

john

theblindwoodturner

« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2011, 01:36:30 PM »
Cheers John. that sounds good to me.

lew

Offline hughie

• gold
  • The Wooden Potter
    • http://www.facebook.com/TheWoodenPotter
« Reply #13 on: August 16, 2011, 10:48:44 AM »
I have several some home made and some I have bought.

The main purchased ones have been Rolly Munro and Proforme. Both work very well, although due to the guard over both of them there is always some degree of clogging and much of this depends on what your turning. Both fair well on green timber. But the Proforme really excells at bulk removal especially on green timber, but it can have attendancy to self feed.

The Munro is a very easy tool to use and if its tend to clog allot its often due to the Guard being closed up to much.This is a common fault with many turners including myself until I realized what I was doing...didnt really pay much attention to the instructions. :)

There are the Oland type of hollower and these are easily made by the average turner and I confess I have several of these. Easy to make, easy to use, easy to sharpen and low cost as well.

theblindwoodturner

« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2011, 08:53:58 PM »
Hi hughie,

welcome aboard. It's great to have a toolmaker's insight into things. nice one.

I now use a Crown Revolution hollowing system and love it to bits. I've tried a few others recently including the munro and the sorby and I have to say that the crown outperforms and gives extra flexibility for me.

I now officially endorse Crown turning tools and use the entire system for my turnings, both production work and dedicated projects.

lew