Author Topic: COLOURED VASE  (Read 2727 times)

DAVE BADKIN

COLOURED VASE
« on: June 26, 2011, 04:48:39 PM »
Last weekend I had the privilege of attending a full day demo at our club. The demonstrator being none other than the well respected Phil Irons.
The day was a huge success not only because Phil was on form and gave a first class demonstration on how to turn and colour a beautiful vase. But the Ladies of the club put on a wonderful lunch of freshly made sandwiches and lots and lots of home baked cakes and buns.
I was left inspired to dig out my long ago seen spirit colours and using the techniques demonstrated by Phil I managed to create this vase. I turned the neck and opening as per my wife’s request, I myself feel that it might have better form without the wide top and maybe cut short to just the point where the neck starts to splay out and slightly turn the opening inwards at the rim.
All Comments expected and accepted, Thanks’ Dave

Andy Coates

Re: COLOURED VASE
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2011, 05:19:07 PM »
I like the external colouring, and the shape is fine, but not sure about the bright white inner.

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #2 on: June 26, 2011, 09:19:59 PM »
I like the green and the change around the neck to black. What is the wood as when I look at a full-sized picture it looks like a rain pattern (little rings) in  the stain, is that the grain, or did you use some technique demonstrated?

I agree with Andy that the white inner is a bit (to me) disconcerting, but if it was ceramic it would probably be white anyway so it's lost nothing really.

The neck could have been a little more flowing with the shape but it's not uncomfortable to look at - but I've learned that if that's what 'she want's' that's what 'She gets'.

Overall - I like it
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #3 on: June 27, 2011, 02:47:13 AM »

Dave, Glad you had such a good weekend and came away an did something following it, you've mastered both well, wonderful piece, beautiful colouring and finish, can see your face in it...   :D ...  the white grows on one.

It's funny, if an when I get workshop time, the main of it is spent on what the wife wants..  Oh well..

David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

DAVE BADKIN

« Reply #4 on: June 27, 2011, 09:06:03 AM »
Thanks Andy, to be perfectly honest the white interior was to hide the fact that as hard as I tried I could not get a satisfactory finish to the inside, so white was used as it reflects lite and stops the eye seeing the slight floors. now that the paint has dried I could re-sand and change it to a different colour maybe the same mint green as the rim or do you have a suggestion? all advice gratefully accepted.

Thanks Bryan the wood is white walnut, the rings are intentional I would have liked them to have run a tiny bit which would have turned them to teardrop shapes but I haven't perfected that technique just yet.I have to come up with a method of spinning the piece in a vertical position whilst setting alight the spirit stain then stopping it revolving just before the stain dries fully so the droplets created run just enough to form teardrops. All safe methods of achieving this will be gratefully accepted.

Thanks David The finish is what took the most time to achieve and it is strange how some people report seeing a handsome face some times beautiful others just an ugly mug staring back. I will let you decide which reflection I seem to get every time look into the piece. lol
« Last Edit: June 27, 2011, 09:08:22 AM by DAVE BADKIN »