Author Topic: What price safety  (Read 28370 times)

andygc

Re: What price safety
« Reply #45 on: February 26, 2015, 09:13:54 AM »
Lighten up don't take life so seriously.
I have already said that I have no wish to tell other people what to do. I really don't care what you choose to do; if you want to work in a particular way for what you consider to be good commercial reasons I will not criticise you. Because of the comments posted on this topic, I went to an authoritative source to check that what I choose to do is safe, and I now know that it is. Having discovered that, I posted the information here on the basis that others might find it helpful.

Your recent contributions have been asinine and offensive comments, and telling me to "lighten up" falls into that category. I don't understand why you chose to make them, and can only assume that it is because I am new here and you are not. I don't like being patronised, and I don't like smug self-satisfaction and arrogance. I had thought the AWGB and this forum to be intended to welcome new entrants to woodturning and to encourage their knowledge and development of skills. It seems I was mistaken.

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #46 on: February 26, 2015, 09:23:16 AM »
Hi Andy,
             I have been into woodturning for a number of years now and I have never found such a helpful bunch of people always willing to help and give advice not like some trades who every thing is a guarded secret.

So how about now let us draw a line under this topic and start again " Welcome To The Forum"

Regards John
John Smith

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #47 on: February 26, 2015, 09:25:47 AM »
Thank you John.

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

andygc

« Reply #48 on: February 26, 2015, 09:27:41 AM »
Hi Andy,
             I have been into woodturning for a number of years now and I have never found such a helpful bunch of people always willing to help and give advice not like some trades who every thing is a guarded secret.

So how about now let us draw a line under this topic and start again " Welcome To The Forum"

Regards John
Thank you for that welcome. However, while you were writing it I got this
Stop feeling sorry for yourself your acting like a spoiled child
which just serves to confirm the impression.

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #49 on: February 26, 2015, 09:32:50 AM »
Pasting PM's on Forums is a big NO NO.
I stand by what I said.
You are obviously trying to cause trouble.

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #50 on: February 26, 2015, 09:55:47 AM »
There was a time when you could not only help members on these Forums and have a bit of fun at the same time.Not anymore too many are so full of themselves and their own importance .Get offended and cry like little girls.
I really cant be bothered anymore and am deleting my membership.
I will see some of you at Yandles as usual

Regards George

Offline TONY MALIN

• gold
  • Rugby Warwickshire
« Reply #51 on: February 26, 2015, 10:48:46 AM »
Sadly my wife can't bear to see grown men cry!

For crying out loud George where's the stiff upper lip gone to?

When people react the wrong way to a bit of light hearted banter it reflects badly on them.

Do we all really want to become boring old farts, like the members of John Major's cabinet?

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #52 on: February 26, 2015, 10:49:31 AM »
Hi George,
              I guess you wont get to read this message now you have resigned from the Forum In my opinion you have given a great input to this Forum

with advice and help to members Ok we all ruffle peoples feathers now and then but I like to think we are grown up enough to take criticism I and

many others know you have put a great amount into Woodturning both at club level and anyone who as asked you for advice.It seems to me you  

always get the blame but it takes two to Tango.See you at Yandles Spring Show

Regards John

The previous message from Tony was posted while I was writing mine I agree with you 100% Tony come back George
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 10:53:06 AM by John D Smith »
John Smith

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #53 on: February 26, 2015, 11:21:05 AM »
Thank you Tony and John.

I had pressed and confirmed the delete account button but have reversed it for the time being.I am pretty thick skinned Tony and never take offense at peoples comments but there just does not seem to be room for any fun on the Forum anymore people seem too quick to take offense at light hearted banter.
Has everybody lost their sense of humor.
It has been possible to reverse my decision  to delete my account and I have done it because I have received a number of Emails asking me to change my mind I will wait and see what happens.
Those of you that have sent me Emails I wont name you but thank you they are very much appreciated.
I expect to be banned anyway

Regards George

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #54 on: February 26, 2015, 12:17:52 PM »
george you should use what I call the get out of jail free card. Use lots of these  :D :D :D :D and these  ;) ;) ;) and these  ;D ;D
But you are right, on occasions you need to use lots of these  ::) ::) ::) and sometimes these are more appropriate  ??? ??? ???

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
« Reply #55 on: February 26, 2015, 02:04:41 PM »

Normally I never comment on the discussion page as like GBF my wording can be a bit Robust to say the least.

Over some of the past discussions on this forum a lot of statements have been taken out of context and turned to be offensive.

I know at my own club I am asked if I went to far when doing my demo, But that's the way I talk.

I ask the Question is political correctness been taken too far considering we are all adults.

Ps  At one club I demo  one guy checks every long word I say on google to give me the correct oxford meaning.
     Luckily I don't know many long words.

TONY DAVIS     
"If you always do what you always done, you always get what you always got" 

http://www.anthonygeorge.net/

Offline farmerphil

• bronze
« Reply #56 on: February 26, 2015, 03:28:51 PM »
I have no point to add to the original question posed on the thread so I apologise for this,however, another interesting topic discussion has been overrun by either touchy comments being made or people getting touchy by comments made.

Whether comments are or aren't being taken out of context it does seem that offence has been taken in this and other threads. This is not just a forum for debate amongst professional and amateur woodturners but also a public forum and alongside other social media what may be considered acceptable in a private conversation may not seem appropriate on a public forum so rather than "has political correctness gone too far" maybe we should be a bit more careful of entries so as to be respectful to our colleagues and the wider audience?

andersonec

« Reply #57 on: February 26, 2015, 06:48:12 PM »
Safe, more attractive and with some added value, it's a win win situation.

Andy

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #58 on: February 26, 2015, 08:04:02 PM »
Andy I think you have a winning combination there , well done.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #59 on: February 26, 2015, 08:05:20 PM »
Keep your eye open in charity shops as well as you often find the glass inserts there in those styles.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities