Author Topic: Hands on  (Read 11538 times)

Offline seventhdevil

• platinum
Re: Hands on
« Reply #30 on: March 02, 2015, 06:30:41 PM »
didn't think you could set hair alight unless you have something like hairspray in it which is flammable.

Offline Graham

• platinum
  • Chairman. www.DidcotTurners.club
« Reply #31 on: March 02, 2015, 08:33:42 PM »
We've been in existence long enough to know what to look out for, but were a bit surprised recently when meths was sprayed onto a thin walled goblet and ignited to dry the surface before sanding. It was a bit like a chip pan fire. Not very safe for someone with facial hair!!
A demonstrator did the same thing at Axminsters Nuneaton store during the 'ten turners turning' day last year. Not a problem but raised my eyebrows a bit.
Regards
Graham
I have learnt the first rule of woodturning.
The internal diameter should never exceed the external width.
Nor the internal depth, the external height.
Does that make me an expert now ?

Offline Derwent Woodturning club

• bronze
    • Derwent Woodturning Club
« Reply #32 on: March 03, 2015, 10:07:04 AM »
I've been reading this post with interest as, having been involved with two local clubs, I have seen two diametrically opposite attitudes. At one, the hands on evenings form a significant part of the calendar, are very well attended and raise funds to pay for guest demonstrators. At the other, the finances have convinced them that hands on are a necessary way of raising funds, but they still struggle to attract members to hands on meetings. To be fair, they only had one lathe. That is about to change, but, as has already been said, there are numerous other things that can be done at a hands on meeting.

Having  said that, what really prompted me to post this message was the final paragraph of Tony's post.
We've been in existence long enough to know what to look out for, but were a bit surprised recently when meths was sprayed onto a thin walled goblet and ignited to dry the surface before sanding. It was a bit like a chip pan fire. Not very safe for someone with facial hair!!
I have seen this done, both at a club and on a DVD but, aside from the safety implications, I queried its efficacy. It looks spectacular but all that is happening is the meths vapour is burning. Any heat generated is well away from the surface, so there is minimal drying effect. I don't know if you have ever seen a stage trick where a small amount of meths is poured into the showman's hand, then set alight. Since it is the vapour that is burning, not the liquid, he feels virtually no heat. Looks spectacular but his hands feel virtually no heat.
May I suggest a better way of getting some heat into a wet turning is to hold some of the shavings firmly against the surface with the lathe spinning. The friction will generate warmth, and, of course, this was one of the traditional means of 'finishing' a turning.
Regards,
Derwent Woodturning Club

Offline TONY MALIN

• gold
  • Rugby Warwickshire
« Reply #33 on: March 03, 2015, 11:48:29 AM »
I'm not sure about raising funds. As I said originally the low attendance is offset by low costs, mainly hire of the premises at £12.50 an hour. We make a small ex gratia payment for a demo by a club member and make a good profit. Outside demonstrators are expensive. The object is to balance the books.

I withdraw my reference to a chip pan fire. I was thinking of the initial flash but of course there is a longer after burn.

Presumably the amount of heat required to "dry" the wood depends on how much meths is used.

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #34 on: March 03, 2015, 04:47:27 PM »
At the risk of upsetting someone dare I say that people do not turn up for a hands on night as these nights could be better?