Author Topic: Pricing?  (Read 9649 times)

Offline munderwood

• iron
    • Matt's Shed Woodturning
Pricing?
« on: February 18, 2015, 10:18:16 PM »
Hi,
Just finished this apple hollow form today, it's about 20cm high and has wall thickness 7-10mm. I usually try to price items on what I think they're worth rather than time involved etc and I've always been told not to sell too cheap, but then again I do want to sell pieces! What do you think this is worth? Any help and criticism welcome!
Thanks,
Matt

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
Re: Pricing?
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2015, 10:29:06 PM »
Here we go again
Is my work good enough to sell. ::)
What is my work worth ::).
How much should I charge. ::)

Your work is wonderful everybody will want to buy it  and you should charge thousands

Regards George

The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2015, 09:18:35 AM »
Matt don't worry about George, he's a bit grumpy today. ;D ;D
   I agree with the comments that you should not be selling cheaply especially if the quality of your work is good. have a look on woodturning sites with similar items for sale as that will give you a clue. The trouble is everyone thinks they can paint like Rembrandt, and even if they can their paintings will never sell for the same prices as his fetch, so if it were me I would still work out the price from hours worked.

Offline Graham

• platinum
  • Chairman. www.DidcotTurners.club
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2015, 09:27:43 AM »
Despite other comments this is the first such post I have seen in my nine months of membership here and I would hope that  members could always ask other members what they think about pieces they make. I thought that was what this section of the form was about. I agree that it is probably not possible to determine a value from a picture but Matt asks for comments and critique  as many others do here.
My personal opinion is not worth much as Matt looks more experienced than I am but with the possible exception of the rolled lip I think that is a nice looking vase.
Regards
Graham
I have learnt the first rule of woodturning.
The internal diameter should never exceed the external width.
Nor the internal depth, the external height.
Does that make me an expert now ?

Offline Mark Sanger

• platinum
    • Mark Sanger Web Site
« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2015, 10:14:56 AM »
Hi Matt

Pricing is a nightmare. Here are the thoughts of others on the subject posted in the general section of the forum. http://www.awgb.co.uk/awgbforum/index.php/topic,2830.0.html

Without seeing you form in the flesh it is very hard to say.

It comes down to so many factors. such as;

where is it going to be sold,

Gallery
craft fair
Private sale.

If so

Location, location location

If you are wanting to sell an item at a Windsor craft fair or gallery then the price would be totally different to selling at a craft fair in my home town.  :)

what people will pay

This is another issue, I have sold items for quite a bit while a mate of mine who is a chef tells me it is just a bit of wood so he'll give me a fiver for it.  :)

There are many websites on the internet that discuss the pricing of craft items but while they contain some good information about how to price taking into account costs over heads etc, for me they have never really given a definitive answer, probably as there is not one due to so many variables.

Speed/efficiency in making

This is also a big factor. After much practice I am able to turn efficiently, so for my bread and butter work I can charge less than my competition, sell more and make a larger profit margin for time spent. I appreciate you not wanting to bring this into your equation and just want an answer for this form..

Critique

In relation to the critique, I do not like giving it as it is so subjective so here I give my personal thoughts on your piece.

The top half of the form is full and flowing with a good line leading into the contrasting rim.

if you divided the form into three through its height then I would have tightened the curve right in one third up from the base to undercut and continue the same full flowing shape as the top, making it more sensuous and tactile, in effect losing almost the bottom third of its height. As is it is not to my liking with the bottom third drawing my eye away from the flowing top profile, that said it does not mean another would not like it.

Look at other hollow form makers, view those whose work you enjoy and compare it to your own, how do they go about producing there forms, what do you like about them and why?

Price wise difficult to say without viewing in the flesh. If you have any wood galleries near you give them a visit and see what retail prices are on similar items.

Hope this helps some :)  These are only my thoughts and opinions based on what I have found. It does not mean I am right.  :)

« Last Edit: February 19, 2015, 11:48:20 AM by Mark Sanger »

Offline Mark Sanger

• platinum
    • Mark Sanger Web Site
« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2015, 10:40:22 AM »
Here is a good example of two differing markets and quality of work/prices. 

Habitat

David Mellor

PhilipS

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2015, 10:40:49 AM »
Great stuff George, always good to see you sharing your views and opinions.  

You follow up one offensive comment with another more offensive one.

'usually everybody is bumming each other up'

I fail to see how my or anyone else's sexual preference, implied in your comment, has anything to do with their comments made on someone's work.

Philip

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2015, 12:05:08 PM »

Come Along Children Be Nice ...... Or I Will Send You To The Naughty Corner
     Di
"If you always do what you always done, you always get what you always got" 

http://www.anthonygeorge.net/

Offline TONY MALIN

• gold
  • Rugby Warwickshire
« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2015, 12:46:00 PM »
i hardly ever sell anything. So the basic question does not apply.
However when I make something for a present I like to try to relate the item to the occasion. Say a yew vase for a birthday or a skeleton clock for a wedding.
But note the fundamental difference. The clock alone costs around £25.

Those who have to earn a living need to maximise the return relative to costs and effort, and the available market.

Frankly Matt I wouldn't buy your vase. It looks top heavy. But Everyman to his own taste.

Now come on folk let's all enter a theoretical auction. As they do on Flog It I'll start at £10.

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2015, 12:50:08 PM »
Not to my taste but that does not mean somebody else would not like it.

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline TONY MALIN

• gold
  • Rugby Warwickshire
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2015, 12:57:13 PM »
I fully support George's assertion. According to my Oxford Thesaurus there are numerous synonyms for the verb BUM none of which have a sexual connotation. I think there may be confusion with a six letter word beginning BUG....

• platinum
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2015, 01:08:51 PM »
I think the hardest part of earning a living through any type of craft work is the selling. It really doesn't matter what the price is(unless it is ridiculous) someone will love it enough to buy it......eventually. and it is the eventually which is the problem because we all want it sold NOW. I do know people who earn a living through their craft work and it is neither quality or price that sells it, it is their ability to sell, which is why I will nevver be a millionaire as I am a rubbish salesman.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2015, 01:55:01 PM »
Must agree that making is the easy part, selling is the hardest bit. Only way to do it IMHO is the standard time plus materials and some added for your skill etc. Also need to remember that most of us who sell our work are mainly selling to non turners who see the stuff we make in a totally different way to other turners. Quality should always be the best we can produce but if you judge by comparing to other turners you will always be at a loss as there are so many good ones out there.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

• platinum
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2015, 03:04:22 PM »
I can remember working with a chap years go, he was self employed like me, and he said no job takes less than an hour. so the minimum he ever charged was one hour.Now I musy admit that I have lost a couple of customers because I did this, can you hear them "£20 for a door knob?" but this is mostly the way I price up.

Online seventhdevil

• platinum
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2015, 04:34:33 PM »
you took one hour on a door knob????