Author Topic: Health and safety  (Read 2692 times)

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
Health and safety
« on: February 16, 2015, 05:10:43 PM »
Having read through the latest H&S report and in particular the pieces about the accidents I would like to make and observation. In my opinion all of the accidents could have been avoided if basic precautions had been taken. Things like ensuring the machine has come to a standstill before walking away or opening a guard or doing adjustments. There is a comment there about the machine coming to a standstill within 30 seconds, for some of you with older machines this may not happen so extra vigilance is required.
   Although we are not governed by the H&SE we are happy to use their guidance when it comes to woodworking machines.

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
Re: Health and safety
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2015, 05:37:00 PM »
30 seconds is a hell of a long time if you have a lump of rag caught on a piece and around a finger or a sleeve caught up.

Just a few tips.

Make sure you do not have any loose clothing a smock is best
Wear full face mask as minimum face protection.
Wear a dust mask as minimum lung protection
On initial start up always make sure speed has been adjusted
Stand to side of piece when starting lathe that is when it will fly off if it is going to.
Listen for sounds like clicks it might be a crack appearing stop lathe and check.
Never use rag for applying polish or for buffing use safety cloth

I am sure John can add some to this list.

Regards George

The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline MCB

• gold
Re: Health and safety
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2015, 11:25:14 PM »
30 seconds is a hell of a long time if you have a lump of rag caught on a piece and around a finger or a sleeve caught up.

I am sure John can add some to this list.

Regards George

My lathe is  connected to the mains power supply via a switch with a “red mushroom” that I  can hit with my knee to cut the power.

The box with the mushroom is  mounted at knee height; the input is  a 13A flexible cable to the plug into wall socket; the output is  to a metal clad 13A socket into which the lathe is  plugged.

The system was designed so that other equipment could  be connected when required.

MC