Author Topic: Ear Ring Stands  (Read 7234 times)

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
Ear Ring Stands
« on: February 09, 2011, 01:19:15 PM »
Here are 3 Ear Ring stands Two made from Walnut and one from Cherry.Comments Please.Regards John
John Smith

Andy Coates

Re: Ear Ring Stands
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2011, 04:25:53 PM »
Hello John,

I like all three. The finishing is spot on as viewed in the pictures, but i'd have to say that the finials don't seem quite right to me somehow. Perhaps a little fussy? I hope this doesn't cause offence, none is intended.

Offline Philip Greenwood

• bronze
  • Professional Woodturner. North Yorkshire
    • Woodturning into Art
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2011, 05:08:42 PM »
Hello John

I like the shape of them, but the finials need to be a bit thiner to work for me. Sorry John.

Phil

thebowlerhattedturner

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2011, 07:19:36 PM »
Hello John,
              I do like these but I can see what Andy is saying. I quite like the finials as this is putting your personal identity on them. I think if I made them I would try to incorporate the spindle design into the finial, but then that is putting my identity on them. Good quality work though.
Regards
John

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2011, 07:33:04 PM »
Hi Andy,Phil and John, Thank you for taking the time to make comments on my work I can see what you are saying I made the finials a little fancy because I thought the rest was quite plain but I suppose there is there is an old saying more is less. No offence taken points made were constructive.Thank You John
John Smith

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2011, 12:44:33 AM »

Nice work John, like the 3 for your new view of the Keith Rowley design, I've kept the tops thicker too and have found the finials are the hard part of finishing the pieces, I've had it said, as to you should be able to place rings or chains over or from the finial, some make longer columns, just for that reason.
The columns are not that plain, nice sharp details, excellent, the centre one works well, but for the black, which changes the look so much, as with the left, that's ok, I'm still out the the right one..  will keep thinking on it.

David
"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline Martin Lawrence

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Kidderminster Worcestershire
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2011, 02:46:28 PM »
Hi John,

These will sell quickly, I agree with the comments about the finials but that is a personal taste.

Cheers Martin.
Martin Lawrence

Andy Coates

« Reply #7 on: February 18, 2011, 08:20:17 AM »
I don't often turn earring stands, and when I do it's usually as just a quick item to put out for impulse buys. In order to make them quick I turn them in one piece. I also developed a variation on them to make them a less boring demonstration item.

Here's a picture of an ordinary one-piece, and one with a twist.

It occured to me yesterday that maybe I could use these as bait to bring some more users here to the forum (not that I think my earring stands are very interesting!) so I made a video for YouTube. You can view the stand with a twist being made here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C1oH4UOu4vs

Offline Philip Green

• bronze
    • No Mans Land
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2011, 09:36:31 AM »
I enjoyed watching the video Andy.

An earring stand is on my list of things to turn once I have gained more experience.
Philip from sunny St Issey

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2011, 07:37:50 PM »
Hi Andy, I enjoyed your video on you tube especially the magic trick turning Mulberry into Yew. ::) Regards John
John Smith

Offline Philip Greenwood

• bronze
  • Professional Woodturner. North Yorkshire
    • Woodturning into Art
« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2011, 10:59:59 PM »
Andy

Good video, will look at the others later.

Philip

Offline Katchin

• bronze
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2011, 11:39:08 PM »
great video, very useful for a total beginner like myself.
John Simon Lawrenson

Offline Martin Lawrence

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Kidderminster Worcestershire
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2011, 01:54:09 PM »
Hi Andy,

I did about half a dozen of these at a craft fair and they sold so quick, I prefer these to the 3 part ones much easier to make.

Cheers Martin.
Martin Lawrence