Author Topic: Xyline  (Read 8859 times)

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
Xyline
« on: February 06, 2015, 12:19:04 PM »
Just back from a shopping trip with SWMBO, one of our stops was Lidl, they have a few tools in at the moment but I'm posting about their tin of Universal Thinners, the stuff is Xyline.

If you've never heard of it, its Hammerite thinners, and as a branded product very expensive.

And yes a very good brush cleaner as well.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
Re: Xyline
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2015, 01:20:09 PM »
You do not want to be breathing in the fumes or letting it penetrate your skin as it is a carcinogenic.
Xylene is very bad stuff.

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2015, 07:59:46 PM »
I have to support George's wise words, so please be careful using it.

Offline MCB

• gold
« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2015, 11:50:22 PM »
I have to support George's wise words, so please be careful using it.

In view of the unpleasant properties of Xylene, I'm  VERY surprised that Lidl are allowed to sell it in this country.

According to a chum, the rules in Germany are different since they don't have “Health & Safety” in Germany.

MC

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2015, 12:31:24 AM »
I'm not suggesting anyone drinks or spends several hours sniffing the stuff.

And considering the amount of different solvents, oils and other strange substances with any degree of VoC levels we have in our workshops. Most without Hazard Data Sheets, I'm assuming that even if you did not know the dangers you'd treat it with as much respect as any other chemical base fluid.

But as a cheap supply for what is an otherwise expensive solvent if you use Hammerite, I thought that I'd let the members of this forum know it was available.

As for the continental view on H&S, most countries do understand that the two words sometimes go together, whereas here in the UK it takes several offices and several 000's staff to police! Common sense (common or otherwise) is being strangled by legislation, make up your own minds.

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2015, 08:19:24 AM »
I had an employee who could not go anywhere near the stuff because his face would get so swollen and red he could barely see.
Admittedly as a paint sprayer he had been subjected to it for yours .
I have a gallon of it here in my workshop so I am not saying don't use it what I am saying is be aware it is nasty stuff in a confined space like a workshop.

Regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2015, 08:25:07 AM »
Thank you George, meaningful advice, not scaremongering.

• platinum
« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2015, 09:00:17 AM »
Sensible precautions should be taken when you use any type of industrial chemical, things like gloves should go without saying. I normally use stuff like this outside of the workshop. Be careful though if you wear a mask as sometimes you can "channel" the fumes. They should be stored in a secure container and prefarably within a secure locker or cabinet. There are special cabinets for this purpose on the market.
        Do not be tempted to decant into other containers, not all plastics are suitable and some metal tins have a coating on the inside for it's intended use and always ensure that the contents are clearly labelled.
        This all might appear to be common sense and sensible but even though you don't hear about chemical accidents very often they do happen. (my other half used to work in A&E) You should always read the label. Have a look at your toilet cleaners for example, they do not come with a data sheet but I can assure you that you do not want to mix them.( those of you of a certain age that served in HM Forces in certain places will know what I mean).

Offline MCB

• gold
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2015, 12:23:03 AM »
Just back from a shopping trip with SWMBO, one of our stops was Lidl, they have a few tools in at the moment but I'm posting about their tin of Universal Thinners, the stuff is Xyline.

If you've never heard of it, its Hammerite thinners, and as a branded product very expensive.

And yes a very good brush cleaner as well.

I  was in Lidl today and saw round tins of Thinners but there was certainly no label that I  read to indicate it was Xylene. The tin had something vague like 30% aromatic and 30% aliphatic - which doesn't suggest Xylene to me

May I  ask how you identified it as Xylene, please?

With best wishes and thanks. 

MC

Offline Mark Sanger

• platinum
    • Mark Sanger Web Site
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2015, 09:11:43 AM »
It states on the Hazard warning on the tin that it contains XYLOL which is so I am lead to believe from a quick google search refers to the Xyline family of chemicals.

A further search shows it is included in many similar products within the UK and is readily available for purchase.

Pretty much every chemical from what I see is Carcinogenic, probably why 50% of the population will now get cancer at some time in their life while at the turn of the 20th century it was 1-4, something to do I would imagine, but do not know (as I am not an expert on it) that the cancer rate is to do with what we breath and eat.  

you can view it here www.baufix-online.com under problem solver then go into (instructions) shown in red left side and the Xylon reference is right side. If you want to translate it google translate will help.  

Offline MCB

• gold
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2015, 11:48:34 AM »

you can view it here www.baufix-online.com under problem solver then go into (instructions) shown in red left side and the Xylon reference is right side. If you want to translate it google translate will help.  

I've  looked at that web site. and it tells me that the Thinners contains Xylene but NOT anything else.

I've  written to Baufix and asked them for the ingredients

But I  won't be surprised if Lidl have sold out by the time that I  receive their response.
Life's like that!!

Very many thanks or suggesting Baufix's web site

MC

Offline MCB

• gold
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2015, 08:10:52 AM »

I've  written to Baufix and asked them for the ingredients

I  now have the Safety Data Sheet (in English) for the Universal Thinners.

I'll  be happy to forward it to anybody who requests it; please write to xylene@hardknott.org off list.

MC

• platinum
« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2015, 08:41:29 AM »
Well done MC!

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2015, 12:55:50 PM »
Okay, they are legally obliged to provide that information on request, but I am still impressed,

Well Done.

Offline MCB

• gold
« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2015, 01:14:12 PM »
Okay, they are legally obliged to provide that information on request, but I am still impressed,

Well Done.

But the legal requirement may NOT extend to providing it in the language of the enquirer!

Fortunately, what was sent was mostly English!

MC