Author Topic: Data Protection Act  (Read 6548 times)

Offline Philip Green

• bronze
    • No Mans Land
Data Protection Act
« on: February 01, 2015, 03:42:37 PM »
What do clubs do in relation to compliance with the Data Protection Act?
Philip from sunny St Issey

Offline burywoodturners

• gold
Re: Data Protection Act
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2015, 05:38:48 PM »
I have a membership form which states that the details given will be stored on my computer, and will only be used for contacting the members and to pass on to the AWGB. The last bit is redundant as they all have filled in a AWGB form. I undertake not to share the information with any outside parties,

When I send out the monthly newsletter I send a copy to myself and a blind copy to all the other members on the Newsletter list on my computer.
Ron

Offline TONY MALIN

• gold
  • Rugby Warwickshire
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2015, 05:41:37 PM »
It's not so much what we do with our membership list as what we don't do. Broadly speaking we don't publish it.

Offline Philip Green

• bronze
    • No Mans Land
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2015, 05:57:17 PM »
What I should have asked is do clubs have a written policy or just broadly follow the requirements of the act?
Philip from sunny St Issey

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2015, 06:54:04 PM »
There is enough to think about without worrying about data protection.

Regards george
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2015, 07:15:48 PM »
Actually George the DPA is very important.

The basic premise is you only ask for and hold what you need and destroy (delete) it when it's not longer needed or current.

People you hold information can ask for a copy of that information to check it's correct as well.

If you have a Facebook or Google+ Account (other accounts as well) you can request a copy of what they know about you, it's likely to run to several CD's worth!
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2015, 07:18:07 PM »
In my club we take all possible steps to safe guard our member's details. We never release information to third parties, but if an identified club member requests a telephone number we will give it,  (for "we" read committee). Also the number of committee members that hold member's information is kept to a minimum and all information held on personal computers is encrypted or password protected. So I guess that could be termed as broadly following the requirements of the act.

Offline TONY MALIN

• gold
  • Rugby Warwickshire
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2015, 02:19:32 PM »
Just to add to what I said above, our membership records consist of name address and phone number. All of this information can be found elsewhere eg Electoral Register and the phone book. None of this can be classified as sensitive.
Anyone who has recently opened a bank or building society account will tell you the difficulty of proving your identity.
Like much government legislation beware of the unintended consequences.

Offline David Buskell

• gold
    • At The Cutting Edge
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2015, 02:38:55 PM »
Our club have a full membership list with access restricted to the committee. If you need to know  contact details, call the membership secretary. However, we have been (and still are) under pressure to release a full list but with abbreviated details. I spoke with the Office of the Information Commissioner and was told:
1. Do not give anyone the membership list at the moment.
2. Why? because we may have not made members aware that their information may be shared with other members. 
3. If we have this authority from each member, then it is OK to share the information.
4. If we do not have permission, then send an email asking for permission to share the information and explain why we are making this request.
5. Any distribution of data should be made securely i.e. to to valid email address in a  non-editable format (such as pdf) or a hard copy.

We do of course follow the usual data protection procedures as far as holding all members info securely.

As has been said above, we are almost all of us on the internet. One of our members refuses to have his details on the list but ignores the fact that if you Google him, there's more info available than we hold for the public to access.

We had a lively debate on this at our recent AGM -the committee now have to go away and get the necessary authorities from the members.,

In my view, being able to contact other members benefits both the club - greater interaction between members outside of meetings and the member - not such a solitary past-time
David
At The Cutting Edge

Offline TONY MALIN

• gold
  • Rugby Warwickshire
« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2015, 11:05:05 AM »
David
If I were in your position I would resign!
I like the bit about googling the "sensitive" individual. I bet you can't find me on there. However if it's desperate you could try Facebook which I use to keep pace with family and friends.

Offline David Buskell

• gold
    • At The Cutting Edge
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2015, 11:44:53 AM »
Tony,
I already have!!! On January 21st I stepped down from t'committee and let another bunch of volunteers take over Chairman & Secretary roles.

I now have a life again!

David
David
At The Cutting Edge

Offline David Buskell

• gold
    • At The Cutting Edge
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2015, 11:47:35 AM »
Google only shows 4 out of 514k entries that are relevant but then as Hon Treasurer of West Northants you'd know that!

D.
David
At The Cutting Edge

• platinum
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2015, 12:18:44 PM »
Tony I know you and I have met in person......so I couldn't resist the challenge. So far I have you as the CEO of Hambros bank and a partner at Star Capitals LTD. I never knew your uncle was a boxer and apparently they have fantastic prices on you on Ebay!  Either that or I am not very good at finding out your data or as you say...." I bet you can't find me on there".
All in the name of fun ;D ;D ;D

Offline TONY MALIN

• gold
  • Rugby Warwickshire
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2015, 02:07:26 PM »
David
and acting hon sec, and occasional stand in chairman, and holder of the keys to our store room, and stand in milkman, and purchasing officer, and assistant sweeper upper, and shortly to become the sole nonaganarian.
John
Thanks for trying. Seems I'm only small fry!!

• platinum
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2015, 02:16:35 PM »
Never knew about the milkman either. ::) ::) ::)