Author Topic: Seminar 2015  (Read 13243 times)

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Re: Seminar 2015
« Reply #30 on: January 29, 2015, 07:08:39 PM »
Don't know where you are Twig but the Dansel Gallery in Dorset is exclusively wood. Everything from exquisite tables to small items and some well known turners have their work there.

John. Maybe it's just me. I am never really happy with anything I make for long, always see faults, ways of improving it etc.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline TWiG

• gold
« Reply #31 on: January 29, 2015, 07:23:46 PM »
Yes I am aware of Dansels  and have seen some great work in there ,  ( have sold some work there in the past)  but such places are very very rare !   I am in S Devon  ...Terry ..
« Last Edit: January 29, 2015, 07:25:18 PM by TWiG »

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #32 on: January 29, 2015, 08:29:58 PM »
Ah well Pete that is how we progress our skills. What is that old saying? "the next piece you make should always be your best piece?" ;D

Offline David Buskell

• gold
    • At The Cutting Edge
« Reply #33 on: January 29, 2015, 08:39:57 PM »
I'd encourage everyone to try and put work in the Instant Gallery - as others have said, it really is a celebration of all things woodturning.

PhilipS mentions the legendary WoW swaps - they are great - you get a piece of work from a turner you have never met before and usually from another country. So far I've got pieces from Canada, Australia and USA, some from unknown turners, one from a well-known turner - it's total luck of the draw and great fun. You get some nice pieces of work and make new friends. We UK Wowies had a swap a year or so ago amongst ourselves which was quite successful.

The Instant Gallery at Loughborough is always an eye-opener as to what is being done in woodturning in the UK -we're not all "round and brown". The other benefit is that you can be admiring a piece of work on show and talking to the person next to you - could be Michael Gibson (a nice guy), Mark Sanger or another Club turner - you never know who is looking at the work. I recall buying some pieces at the 2007 seminar and later bumping into the maker - we had a great discussion. This is one of the benefits of a venue of the size used at Loughborough - easy to network.

It's well worth putting work into the Instant Gallery and I look forward to seeing the photos of the display.
David
At The Cutting Edge

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #34 on: January 29, 2015, 09:06:13 PM »
Well meeting up with some of you guys would be great, I'll get my act together and get booked and maybe we can arrange lunch or dinner would be good as many of us have been exchanging bit and pieces on line for a while now.

If anybody want's to do a work swap I'm happy to take part in that as well.

I'm looking forward to the event.

Ed

Offline Graham

• platinum
  • Chairman. www.DidcotTurners.club
« Reply #35 on: January 29, 2015, 10:43:00 PM »
I recall buying some pieces at the 2007 seminar and later bumping into the maker -

So is everything in the instant gallery for sale ? How does that work ?
Regards
Graham
I have learnt the first rule of woodturning.
The internal diameter should never exceed the external width.
Nor the internal depth, the external height.
Does that make me an expert now ?

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #36 on: January 29, 2015, 10:56:13 PM »
I guess you just put a price on it  :)

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #37 on: January 29, 2015, 10:59:37 PM »
Well the choice is yours to sell or not, no guarantees that you will sell mind.Some pieces are offered and auctioned off for the development fund, this is what is used to run all the courses that you guys can apply for FOC.

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2015, 12:43:10 AM »
When you submit items for the instant gallery, you can put a price on it or just have it marked as not for sale. The choice is yours. The main purpose of the gallery is as an exhibition but there are a number of pieces sold there too.

Don't forget, even if you don't attend the seminar, you can still come and see the instant gallery for free - it's open to the public each day.

Also, if there is enough interest, I'm sure we could arrange a "forum corner" in the gallery. I think I will try a poll on here to gauge how many are serious about it.

Offline Graham

• platinum
  • Chairman. www.DidcotTurners.club
« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2015, 09:37:30 AM »
Are there any rules about what can be put into the gallery in terms of it having been seen before ( on here for instance) 
Regards
Graham
I have learnt the first rule of woodturning.
The internal diameter should never exceed the external width.
Nor the internal depth, the external height.
Does that make me an expert now ?

PhilipS

« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2015, 11:17:32 AM »
I'm looking forward to seeing the work in the gallery, it will be a chance to see how turning has developed in the UK since I last attended some years back.

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2015, 02:37:03 PM »
Graham,
No there are no restrictions on what you exhibit other than it must fit through the door (last time one didn't but we were able to exhibit it outside!) and must satisfy a common sense appraisal of what should be exhibited at a woodturning seminar!