Author Topic: Seminar 2015  (Read 13244 times)

Offline Graham

• platinum
  • Chairman. www.DidcotTurners.club
Re: Seminar 2015
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2015, 06:14:29 PM »
Now come on John, don't beat about the bush, do you like the instant gallery ?

I was partially right. I thought it was work taken along by the people attending..
Regards
Graham
I have learnt the first rule of woodturning.
The internal diameter should never exceed the external width.
Nor the internal depth, the external height.
Does that make me an expert now ?

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2015, 06:26:08 PM »
If you want to see some of the previous instant gallery line ups, take a look at this website

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2015, 07:04:02 PM »
Trouble is, looking at the galleries makes you think it isn't worth taking your own work along when you see the incredible quality etc of the displayed work.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Graham

• platinum
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2015, 07:22:54 PM »
Trouble is, looking at the galleries makes you think it isn't worth taking your own work along when you see the incredible quality etc of the displayed work.

Pete
Indeed.
Regards
Graham

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #19 on: January 28, 2015, 07:39:37 PM »
But you see that is the whole point,everybody makes different pieces and we all want to see them.

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #20 on: January 28, 2015, 09:19:08 PM »
I agree John but it can be daunting for those who see the 'names' and their work. The same problem a lot of clubs have with their competitions.

Pete

• platinum
« Reply #21 on: January 28, 2015, 11:14:11 PM »
Just imagine you are looking at an image of a short fat, balding bloke with a bowler hat perched on his head thowing his ups up in the air in a sign of resignation.

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #22 on: January 29, 2015, 06:58:04 AM »
Reading this the instant gallery seems a great idea, if your work is well finished then it will stand against the very best and the feedback that you could gain would be far far better than any forum.

This could help develop our woodturning skills still further.

I for one will take something for the instant gallery, we could have our own little forum corner  :)

Ed

Offline Graham

• platinum
« Reply #23 on: January 29, 2015, 08:56:53 AM »

I for one will take something for the instant gallery, we could have our own little forum corner  :)

Ed

Me to, if I go. Forum corner sounds good but looking at the gallery for 2013 there does not seem to be many recognisable names from the forum.

Regards
Graham

• platinum
« Reply #24 on: January 29, 2015, 11:05:41 AM »
 Although I was unable to attend the 2013 event I can guarantee there were entries from people from the forum. One of the beauty's of attending is seeing the work first hand. For instance go to the link that Paul has put up and have a look at Bob Chapman's 2 pieces or the work by Ryan Barker, how old do you think he is? and how long do you think he has been turning? I think you will be both surprised and delighted to find out. I know you are all going to think that because I am on the Executive it is my job to "push" the seminar, well to some extent it is but let me say that as a professional turner you would think I would have enough of woodturning through the week without going to see it at weekends; I can assure you nothing will prepare you for the instant gallery.....it really can be mind blowing. I don't know if we would get our "own little forum corner" as Ed suggested but wouldn't it be nice to have lunch together one day? Think of the discussions that we see on here now think what they would be like over a table.

PhilipS

« Reply #25 on: January 29, 2015, 12:46:39 PM »
World of Woodturners Forum arrange swap sessions at each of the main exhibitions/symposia in the US. Each Wowie who wishes to take part brings a piece, a swap session is arranged and all participants leave with someone else's work. A good way of beginning a collection. Maybe a lunch or evening meeting could incorporate something similar among Forum members. Non attendees sometimes participate via post.

Offline Graham

• platinum
« Reply #26 on: January 29, 2015, 01:12:18 PM »
 Forum Table for dinner one night has a definite appeal ( and saying that surprises me, I do not usually enjoy meeting strangers :) )
Regards
Graham

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #27 on: January 29, 2015, 01:50:59 PM »
If I came across as if I was advising not to enter something into the Instant gallery I apologise that wasn't my attention. I was trying to say (badly) that the quality of work displayed could easily put some people off thinking their work isn't good enough.

Pete

• platinum
« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2015, 03:03:48 PM »
But Pete surely it would have the opposite effect? Think back to how proud you were as a beginner to actually make and finish something and then remember the reaction of your Mum,wife, daughter,dog or neighbour when you showed it to them. It could just be a cylinder shaped piece of wood, but if it is decorated or finished nicely or just nicely turned to round with nothing else done to it just because it is, in the eye of the maker, a lovely piece of wood it will be there to be admired and commented on by others.
      If I were an artist that painted I could get a baby to scribble on paper with different crayons, I would call it something like "temper tantrum" or "hunger" or somesuch and it would (might) be worth something, the same should be with our turnings, even from rough beginnings beauty can be seen in the wood and the form even if the rest is c**p.

Offline TWiG

• gold
« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2015, 06:18:21 PM »
I will make an attempt to attend at least one day , but wether I make it or not I will not know until closer to the event .   I looked on the link and there really is some fantastic stuff on there , not all to my liking, however I can appreciate the skill and effort required to create such pieces .   I remember seeing work at the Axminster shows years ago which were very inspiring . It is not common to get an opportunity to see top class work anywhere , I have looked around at different galleries over the years but rarely see really good work on sale  ( where is it sold ? )    Might see some of you there !  Terry ..