Author Topic: Ebonization process  (Read 3903 times)

Offline Sevilla

• bronze
Ebonization process
« on: January 16, 2015, 11:19:10 PM »
Hello, I have been thinking to use the iron and vineger solution to do some datail ebonization on cherry salad bowls. After seen the beautiful bowls recently posted I'm more determined than aver but have a doubt on the durability of the stain.
I believe that the resulting black color is due to the reaction between iron and tannins in the wood which produces ink and the ink should be in rather than on the wood.
Now my question is how durable is the black color considering that a salad bowl undergoes washing etc?
Thanks for your time.

Offline GBF

• platinum
    • Artistry in wood
Re: Ebonization process
« Reply #1 on: January 16, 2015, 11:28:14 PM »
I really don't know the answer but I would certainly not use it on a salad bowl

regards George
The man that never made a mistake never made anything

Offline MCB

• gold
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2015, 11:34:06 PM »
Hello, I have been thinking to use the iron and vineger solution to do some datail ebonization on cherry salad bowls. After seen the beautiful bowls recently posted I'm more determined than aver but have a doubt on the durability of the stain.
I believe that the resulting black color is due to the reaction between iron and tannins in the wood which produces ink and the ink should be in rather than on the wood.
Now my question is how durable is the black color considering that a salad bowl undergoes washing etc?
Thanks for your time.

I  think that you need to ask the manufacturer of the product that you intend to use if it's FOOD SAFE.

I've  noticed that Chestnut, for example, clearly indicate, in the catalogue, which finishes are food safe.

MC

Offline Sevilla

• bronze
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2015, 12:30:06 AM »
I'm not too worried abouth safty since I'm thinking of ebonize with iron which is safe to ingest and only on the outside of the bowl only for some details. My question was more on the durability of the ink color. Thanks.

Offline MCB

• gold
« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2015, 12:41:53 AM »
I'm not too worried abouth safty since I'm thinking of ebonize with iron which is safe to ingest and only on the outside of the bowl only for some details. My question was more on the durability of the ink color. Thanks.

Is  anybody ever going to wash this bowl in water with a cloth or brush that could  transfer something from outside to inside surface?

I  submit that you can't be to careful with safety.

But it's your  bowl

MC

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2015, 01:40:00 PM »
it all depends on how much you soak the wood on how deep the ebonizing goes,it can goes,on my experience up to 6mm deep on thick bowls and thin ones all the way through,or skin deep if your frugal with it,you need to experiment to find out,cheers,

Eric.
welcome to my woodturning world

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2015, 01:43:55 PM »
I have had oak from skips that had been soaked in rusty water for several years and the black went several inches in. It did get gradually paler towards the centre though. Like others I have reservations about using it as a salad bowl. Not just from a safety aspect but as salad bowls are usually treated with oil would some of the stain come out with it and possibly into the food? Be wise to experiment a bit before committing to it.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #7 on: January 17, 2015, 05:27:11 PM »
The effect caused on tannic woods like Oak with the Rust/Vinegar mixture is a chemical reaction causing a staining effect, it is not a dye or ink. Though Oak Gaul Ink is the same stuff.

An Iron Nail hammered into an oak tree will cause the same effect as it rusts, and as Pete says from his rusty water in a skip, the longer it stays there, the more the effect spreads.

The depth of the reaction in the wood of a bowl is not that great, as the application of the ebonising liquid (I've always known as Liquid Nightmare) is not that prolonged. As to whether it's food safe, I cannot comment, but on the outside of a bowl as you suggest I cannot imagine it being a problem.
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline Sevilla

• bronze
« Reply #8 on: January 17, 2015, 06:10:10 PM »
Thank you for the comments. I will keep the possible problems in consideration.
My sensation is that it is safe since the only exogenous element is the iron which is not toxic unless taken in very large doses and i suppuse it makes the "gall" ink with the tannins inside the wood. But, of course I'm not a chemist so I'll consider the caveats raised.
Thanks again.