Author Topic: A serious question about exhibitions  (Read 2984 times)

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
A serious question about exhibitions
« on: January 07, 2015, 01:27:11 PM »
Having travelled to London in the past to attend woodturning exhibitions (a distance of about 120miles)I wonder how far would you go to see an exhibition oF woodturning? and are there any that for you are memorable and why?

Offline julcle

• platinum
Re: A serious question about exhibitions
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2015, 02:09:29 PM »
I go to Yandels twice a year about 86 miles each way (true there is a club bus but I would drive if not). Went to the Woodworking Live Show at Ally Pally a few years ago and thought it was one of the best I have ever been to, had a long chat with Rob Cosman after his demo and with Andy King together with a few others. This was only a month or so after I started playing with wood and it was the last one they did so never been back.
Crowvalley Woodturners
Julian

Offline David Buskell

• gold
    • At The Cutting Edge
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2015, 02:16:33 PM »
I go a couple of hundred miles up to the Harrogate show - probably the best one on the circuit. Lots of good demos and plenty of trade stands.

If you really want to travel, fly to the US and go to the AAW Symposium in Pittsburgh this June  - you really do have to go to an AAW event, if only once.
Or try SWAT held in Waco, Texas in August.

Both events have a great Instant Gallery, demos, exhibitions and trade stands. Highly recommended. Maybe see you in Pittsburgh?

David
David
At The Cutting Edge

Offline Graham

• platinum
  • Chairman. www.DidcotTurners.club
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2015, 04:33:20 PM »
I have done Yandles which must be 100 miles or so, and Nuneaton which is about 70 ish. I would happily travel further but in my case I would want to be able to touch the exhibits and I doubt many would let me do that.
Regards
Graham
I have learnt the first rule of woodturning.
The internal diameter should never exceed the external width.
Nor the internal depth, the external height.
Does that make me an expert now ?

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2015, 09:16:50 PM »
If you really want to see some of the best Woodturners/Artists in the world then book your place at the AWGB Seminar in August it is a fantastic

weekend if you do you will not be disappointed this will be my 5th and I have enjoyed every one. Regards John
John Smith

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2015, 08:04:55 AM »
furthest I`ve been is about 120 miles for a show,(Birmingham),and used to go to alley pally when I lived in Barking as it was fairly local,I tend to just go to the European woodworking show at Cressing Temple Barns now I live in Norfolk,about 60 miles each way,cheers,

Eric.
welcome to my woodturning world