Author Topic: clothing for woodturning  (Read 13901 times)

myatt1972

clothing for woodturning
« on: June 19, 2011, 09:46:19 PM »
What do you guys wear when turning?
Im after a light jacket type thing which doesnt hold every single shaving like velcro.
Overalls dont work to well, I end up with shavings going down my neck and ending up in all manor of places  :o

Offline Philip Greenwood

• bronze
  • Professional Woodturner. North Yorkshire
    • Woodturning into Art
Re: clothing for woodturning
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2011, 09:59:05 PM »
Hi Keith

These are a good make, this is the short i use all day, and there last.

http://www.lovellworkwear.com/index.htm

Philip

Offline Bryan Milham

• Administrator
  • platinum
  • I’ve had my patience tested; I’m negative
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2011, 10:07:05 PM »
Top to bottom, either a Bump hat or my Filtered Air Mask, always a pair of safety glasses (yes even under the face shield - they have my prescription in them), Turners Smock with the sleeves rolled back (I prefer that to the velcroed up cuff - must get the arms shortened sometime), Work trousers with flap pockets (to keep the shavings out) and Steel toe-caped work shoes/boots (because Gravity sucks!)
Oh Lord, Lead me not into temptation…

...Oh who am I kidding, follow me, I know a shortcut!

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2011, 11:10:53 PM »

Hi Keith,  I have the Lovell smock, it works well, pair of pockets at rear, so no shaving in them, full front zip, it's a length which covers trouser pockets, but then I wear Cargo trousers, which will just cover the top of my boots, you'll find the cuffs and neck closure strap both have velcro pads, but not at all bad with collecting shaving, if you fold the cuffs, so it's turned and closed down an not as I can do at times and pull it up.

Should you order one, they may recommend buying the next size up, to allow for if at any time you need extra clothes underneath, so know your comfortable fitting size.

The rest for turning is standard safety gear.

You should be sorted from that small heap of shaving on the bathroom floor..   ;D ...

David

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline Dave Atkinson

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Macclesfield
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2011, 05:44:32 PM »
Hi Keith

I also have a Lovell smock, boots and safety specs

I still bring shavings etc into the house though.  Anyone who thinks woodturning is dangerous hasn't met my missus when I come in and she's just hoovered! ;D ;D

Cheers Dave

theblindwoodturner

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2011, 08:18:19 PM »
this is why hoovers are ideal tools in the workshop lol. I know the many times I am in and out of the workshop. about 90% of the time I'm covered in wood chippings and dusts, so when I finish for the day, the workshop vac is on and I'm hoovering myself down to get the worst off.

I like the sound of the smocks. something worth me considering. I pretty much just have my usual work clothes on and don't really mind being covered in the stuff unless it's fine dust from sanding work, etc.

lew and resident sanding gerbil

Offline BrianH

• gold
« Reply #6 on: June 22, 2011, 01:37:49 PM »
One of my collection of turning smocks was rather thin and had those awful knitted cuffs that scratch and irritate as soon as a shaving goes near. This hated garment was permanently relegated to a distant hook, unwanted and unloved, until one of those 'Ureka' moments struck as I watched a Canadian turner at one of the National Seminars..... He was wearing a short sleeved smock, why the hell didn't I think of that???? I now have separate winter and summer smocks, How cool is that? ;D
Brian

myatt1972

« Reply #7 on: June 22, 2011, 09:42:14 PM »
Smock has been ordered  ;D
Thanks for all your help.

theblindwoodturner

« Reply #8 on: June 22, 2011, 10:04:40 PM »
ah ha. are you smocking?