Author Topic: Some examples of incidents which shouldn't have happened  (Read 3432 times)

Offline Dave Atkinson

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Macclesfield
Some examples of incidents which shouldn't have happened
« on: May 09, 2011, 11:06:34 PM »
Hi

As you know I'm Safety Officer for the AWGB and here are three recent examples of "accidents" which shouldn't have happened:

First - one of mine - I normally wear toe-tector boots in the workshop in case I drop anything on my toes.  Last week I just went in to sharpen my tools before a demo - hot weather so left old shoes on.  All going OK until I knocked over a 4" x 4" x 2' piece of Oak.  It was stored on end (1st stupid thing to do) and it toppled over onto my big toe, connecting just where the nail meets the toe and it hurt like hell.  I went and put my boots on! :-[

Second at my club a member who should know better got a dig in on a very dry piece of wood and the chips sped into his eye.  Made them water but fortunately no harm done - his safety specs were on the bench!  :-[

Third - last week professional turner turning a 4 x 4 piece of spindle work to round had the speed a little high and hadn't tightened the tailstock as well as he might and it flew off after a very small catch and hit him on the forehead - lots of blood but no lasting damage and the demo continued (after the application of first aid)

None of these "accidents" should have happened and all those concerned were fortunate that the damage caused wasn't worse.  This time we were all lucky, next time we may not be.

Please take H&S seriously and avoid those "I'll just do this" moments and make sure you are protected so when you do something stupid you won't get hurt (or at least the injury will be much less serious).

Cheers Dave

Offline Philip Greenwood

• bronze
  • Professional Woodturner. North Yorkshire
    • Woodturning into Art
Re: Some examples of incidents which shouldn't have happened
« Reply #1 on: May 10, 2011, 08:04:50 AM »
Hi

Dave thank you for this post. H&S should be taken seriously by all but i know from many that H&S is last on the list. I was told by a student that i should Not talk about H&S on a course there had come on a woodturning course, i told them that H&S is part of the course and there should take H&S serious.

Philip

theblindwoodturner

« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2011, 08:19:16 PM »
I once had a visit from my local H&S officer. a nice chap and interested in my work. however... as he knew I was blind, he was bloomin nervous of me in my workshop at the time. I've never known a guy panic so much when I was at my old lathe spinning a 16in x 20in  piece of elm for a commission. Well I couldn't stop just for a guy to have a chat. time's money and all lol.

He told me that really I shouldn't be doing any of this. So I told him politely yet firmly... "If you take away my trade, you take away my freedom."

Since then, ME and HSE don't get on. especially when it comes to limiting disabled people into the trades etc.

anyway I'm glad to know you're here to guide us and advise where we need it.,

have a good one dave.

lew

kasandrich

« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011, 01:58:57 PM »
Good for you Blindwoodturner, if the Health and Safety Police get into woodturning they will have it stopped altogether!

You only have to look at the basics and its a "no brainer" Woodturning is a dangerous hobby and should not be allowed......consider it, very sharp0  tools, held by hand, pieces of wood (sometimes irregularly shaped) spinning at up to 3000 rpm. :o

The health and safety Police would limit us to 50rpm and make us use plastic tools.

Sometimes it is just best to leave the responsibility with the individual.
personally I do not wear steel toecap boots in my workshop, I wear sturdy leather boots, but not steel toecap, but I have never had an incident involving my feet in the workshop.

I think the biggest risk in the workshop is to the hands and I am very carefull in that area, finishing and polishing with cloths can be very dangerous, I only use kitchen paper towel and I am very careful how I hold it, never wrap it around your hand or fingers, so that if it snatches it will just take it out of your hand rather than dragging your hand round, also sanding, especially inside boxes and things, I use a piece of sandpaper held in forceps but  even that has risks.

I have safety glasses, (and a shield)  I don't wear them often but if turning anything that is crumbbly with bits flying off, then I put them on.

In short, be aware of the risks, manage those risks to a level you are happy with, but ultimate responsibility must be with the Turner.  Sometimes risks must be taken but be aware of the risks and levels and take responsibillity for your own safety, but if it all goes pear shaped dont try to blame someone else.

Offline Dave Atkinson

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Macclesfield
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2011, 05:33:57 PM »
Hi Kasandrich

I'm not quite sure where you are re H&S.

You start with the H&S Police and then move onto an explanation of some very sensible safety measures which take into account the risks. 

I think eye protection should always be used, but I know many don;t agree with me.  I've been in hospital looking at a doctor holding a needle in front of my eye saying "stay very, very still" while he picked a very small piece of metal off the eye - it was a spark that has welded itself into my eye when I used an angle grinder to "just take a quick bit of this piece of steel".

As for the H&S police - they don't exist - but as safety officer you'd expect me to say that! ;)

Happy and safe turning

Cheers Dave