Author Topic: insurance query  (Read 21538 times)

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
Re: insurance query
« Reply #15 on: January 01, 2015, 03:47:42 PM »

I do think even though the AWGB has no Insurance officer they should be able to offer some guidance I am told however that this is not allowed under

current FCA Rules I also understand if you have a Club function it should be in the Clubs official programme maybe we need a Q&A page from the

Insurance company Tennyson I have looked at the policy we have from them in PDf format it is 136 pages long. Regards John

John Smith

Offline MCB

• gold
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2015, 12:27:39 AM »

.... this is not allowed under current FCA Rules.....

Please forgive what may be a naive question but what's “FCA” in this context.

MC

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2015, 12:05:35 PM »
HI MC.
            The FCA is the financial conducts authority.

Offline Dave Atkinson

• Global Moderator
  • gold
  • Macclesfield
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2015, 03:38:11 PM »
Hello everyone
this question has been raised many times in the past.

We have been advised by both our former broker, Ian Wallace and our new one Tennyson that we should stop giving advice or acting as a central organiser for the insurance.  This is due to the fact that persons acting in such a manner are required to be appropriately qualified and approved and regulated by the Financial Conduct Authority.

So all these questions should be directed to the broker.  I would also recommend that you all ask the question individually as each circumstance will differ and only the insurer or broker is qualified to give specific advice.

however, I can state that the policy provides 3rd party public liability cover for tne club and its activities.  It does not provide cover for indiviuals acting on their own account.  And  that has always been the case.

regards Dave
AWGB Treasurer

Offline John D Smith

• platinum
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2015, 06:21:08 PM »
Hi David,
            Thanks for posting in this thread I think over the years we may have had our hand held to much on things like Insurance I do think it is

up to clubs to ask Tennyson Insurance any thing they are not sure about after all if we have a problem with our House Insurance or Car Insurance

we go direct to the Insurer or maybe get someone in the club to liaise with them via email and keep the answers for future reference maybe even

share these answers with other Clubs if that is not contravening any rules we all know what a minefield Insurance is!  I have read part of the policy

which is 136 pages and as always with insurance some things are open to interpretation so go to the Insurer and ask.

Regards John
John Smith

Offline TONY MALIN

• gold
  • Rugby Warwickshire
« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2015, 08:20:00 PM »
I have no legal qualification. However, I have had considerable experience of legal documents relating to sales and contracts.

In the present context the term Club Activities is open to interpretation. It has been suggested that these are limited to those in the club programme. I beg to differ. Club activities comprise anything where the club has an involvement, and in the extreme this can involve a single member demonstrating at a specific function. What it is not is a member making his/ her own arrangements to do the same thing.

The club should ensure that the former is authorised/arranged and the individual is identified with the club.

I hope this statement is helpful and does not contravene FCA rules.

• platinum
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2015, 10:09:18 PM »
you should also ensure that it is minuted in the club's minute book.

Offline TONY MALIN

• gold
  • Rugby Warwickshire
« Reply #22 on: January 04, 2015, 12:31:07 AM »
Sorry but I don't agree. That is much too formal.

Offline MCB

• gold
« Reply #23 on: January 04, 2015, 08:15:58 AM »
you should also ensure that it is minuted in the club's minute book.

I'm  involved with a number of organisations that circulate minutes of committee meetings [usually as email attachments] but none of them actually have Minutes written in a book.

MC

• platinum
« Reply #24 on: January 04, 2015, 09:53:32 AM »
The reason for entering it in the minute book or however your club/branch records their meetings is to demonstrate that it is a part of your club's activities and not a member just acting on his/her own and then claiming to be acting for the club.
     If it is minuted correctly, passed by your committee, risk assessed and H&S requirements adhered to then it is a properly organised event and should pass without a hitch. On the other hand if a club member fancies setting up a stall somewhere and does not put it through the club channels then it is not a club activity and therefore he needs to find his/her own insurance.
    (I'm not meant to be advising you on any insurance policy within the AWGB so this is the last time I will from now on sink or swim) ;)

Offline TONY MALIN

• gold
  • Rugby Warwickshire
« Reply #25 on: January 04, 2015, 11:42:41 AM »
I'm sure we all want you to keep afloat. I certainly do.
The danger here ( not covered by elf & sayvetee ) is over egging the pudding.
I'm sure that a suitably worded minute would be strong evidence of a given activity. But is it really necessary to call a committee meeting?
In the past as Club Secretary I have provided members with a short letter of authority stressing the need to follow the usual safety measures. In particular use of the club's safety screens.
Again in the extreme but possibly at the weakest end of the scale I think a verbal arrangement would be valid. After all English Law recognises verbal contracts, and agreement by slapping hands.

Offline TONY MALIN

• gold
  • Rugby Warwickshire
« Reply #26 on: January 04, 2015, 11:57:13 AM »
May I encourage further debate by asking what people think of an umbrella organisation prevented from giving advice on such an important subject?
We are being urged  to obtain clarifications direct from the insurer. But what reliance can be put on the answers?
It should be possible to write a policy which uses wording that reflects the risks likely to be encountered. The Craftsman Policy would be a good starting point.

Ryan Davenport AWGB

« Reply #27 on: January 04, 2015, 01:24:00 PM »
I understand what you are saying complicity, there are so many "grey" areas surrounding these types of issues especially surrounding correcty worded legal documentation etc.
   I do think it would probably be an idea to get a couple of public liability quotes to see costs etc as apparently it's quite cheap (can't confirm this though).
   Would be interesting to see what AWGB insurance actually does cover and not cover, in writing so that it's not word of mouth or "hear say", please keep us up to date with any further developments.
Good luck.

Offline David Buskell

• gold
    • At The Cutting Edge
« Reply #28 on: January 04, 2015, 01:38:25 PM »
As Secretary of our Club, I do not maintain a minute book. All minutes are held electronically and circulated to the committee and to any other member who requests them.

For events, we have an authorisation form which is completed by the organiser or leader for the event, and this is signed off on behalf of the committee by our events organiser. The event is then announced to the club at large at the next meeting by the Chairman. We feel this is sufficient to deem any event to be a "club event" or to use the new language, a "club activity".

There are plenty of good PL insurance offers out there- the best one is from Zurich co-incidentally, which covers around 30K market traders. Ideal if you are doing events under your own steam and not as a club. Zurich and about 9 others will quote for PL cover so plenty there for people to research.
David
At The Cutting Edge

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #29 on: January 04, 2015, 02:06:49 PM »
Tony,
The AWGB no longer use the Craftsman policy from Aviva for any club so why would you expect us to give advice on it? You can debate it all you like but we are bound by the FCA rules, which I assume are put in place to ensure those with the appropriate knowledge and qualifications are the ones that give advice.

Before signing up with Tennyson we went to great lengths to ensure the policy was suitable for our needs and those of our clubs and we asked many questions on all the scenarios that might be encountered. Representatives from Tennyson were also invited to a club evening so they could see first hand how we operated. The new policy also saved considerable amounts of money for almost all clubs and also for the AWGB itself.

As already stated, the brokers (Tennyson) are the people to contact for advice on the insurance policy we do use. They are very helpful and will answer any questions you may have.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2015, 02:26:48 PM by Paul Hannaby »