Author Topic: Using Pewter  (Read 6400 times)

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
Using Pewter
« on: September 27, 2014, 06:38:10 PM »
Well All you Pewter user does anyone have any tips on how to fill tracks and splits on a bowl with Pewter.

I've been messing around this afternoon without much success trying to fill these from the outside of a bowl that's not yet hollowed. I'm now thinking that it would be better to hollow out the bowl and tip the molten Pewter on the splits from the inside and let gravity play it's part. I was thinking that if I stick silver foil over the outside of the split that might hold it long enough to set.

Or is there a better way?

Thanks

Ed

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
Re: Using Pewter
« Reply #1 on: September 27, 2014, 07:23:15 PM »
Possible problem is that if you pour molten pewter into the wood it will burn the wood, especially if it is softer wood. I use oak to make moulds and the wood is usually charred. Better off using aluminium powder and CA glue for the same effect.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #2 on: September 27, 2014, 07:54:48 PM »
Thanks Pete

I could give that a go, but I've already filled a very large hole with Pewter would the two look different on the same piece.

The wood is Oak. I was thinking to leave the wall thick enough so that I could turn away another 6mm inside and out.

Ed

Offline bodrighywood

• platinum
    • Bodrighy Wood
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2014, 09:53:44 PM »
You would be able to tell the difference if they are in the same piece. If you are using oak then you might just get away with it if you make sure that you have surplus wood around the pewter to shave away. I have made moulds in oak where the charring was minimal and restricted to the softer grain so it is worth having a go if the piece is experimental. Make sure that the wood is dry though as molten pewter can spit when poured onto a damp surface.

Pete
Turners don't make mistakes, they have design opportunities

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #4 on: September 28, 2014, 06:41:42 AM »
Thanks Pete

The wood is dry alright it's like hollowing a piece of stone, I think this piece is becoming my toughest challenge to date  :)

Ed 

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #5 on: September 28, 2014, 09:34:48 AM »
Ed there is a point just before the pewter starts to set when it will not char the wood, if you get it right you can pour it into a fissure. Baking foil held in place with masking tape will prevent "flow through".

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2014, 02:54:33 PM »
Thanks BHT

I think that I've just discovered the point at which to pour the Pewter it's great fun learning something new. Fingers crossed after all this effort it turns out ok  :)

Ed

Offline farmerphil

• bronze
« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2015, 05:41:35 PM »
I am wondering about trying pewter in the next few months so searched the forum. What was the outcome of your first foray filling the ole in the oak bowl?

Regards Phil

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2015, 06:37:13 PM »
Hi Phil

Well I had to come up with a way to hold the pewter when filling a split on the curve of the bowl so I got some modeling clay and made up a wall around the area to be filled. The bowl is all filled but as yet I've not got round to finish turning it.

It's become one of those projects that are awaiting completion, I'll try and get it on the lathe in the next couple of weeks and post the results.

Ed

YewTube

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2015, 09:17:30 AM »
It will be interesting to know the result. I would have thought that the pewter will shrink on cooling and come loose. I bit of CA glue run around the perimeter might be a good idea.

Bill

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2015, 10:02:14 AM »
Hi Bill

That's the way that's it's done good old super glue  :)

Ed

Offline Eric Harvey

• platinum
  • Craters project no.1
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2015, 12:09:35 PM »
the only concern I have is that the wood is completely dry,as you don`t want any dampness making it spit back at you,and you`ll probably need a few layers of foil as it melts fairly easily,cheers,

Eric.
welcome to my woodturning world

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2015, 05:24:07 PM »
Another way to do this would be to use thin strips of pewter (which you could cast yourself) and use a high wattage soldering iron to melt it into the voids. I keep meaning to try this next time I have a suitable project. If I do I will let you know how it went!

Offline edbanger

• platinum
    • Olivers Woodturning
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2015, 06:16:15 PM »
Hi Eric

The wood that I'm using is completely dry it's been stored in workshops for over 30 years.

Paul the soldering iron is a great idea and one I'll try in the near future.

Thanks

Ed

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2015, 10:44:14 PM »
Ed one of the reasons why I do not cast directly into (onto?) my wood is the cleaning up process. You will almost inevitably wish to cut and abrade the area that you cast into and in my experience cleaning it up without causing a "bleed" of pewter dust into the work and making a nasty black stain is a real pain in the proverbial. You also need to realise that when you do abrade the pewter will very quickly warm up, and as it warms it expands and this could cause a surrounding timber failure.
    Eventually the wood will expand and contract over time and this will have the effect of working the pewter out. Personally I would do as Pete suggested or use sheet pewter cut to size and then bonded with resin in place. You could take a cast of the hole in plasticine, make a mould in plaster of paris  and then cast into that.
    You will then end up with a piece costing at least £600 in labour to make. But think of the fun value!!