Author Topic: insurance query  (Read 21728 times)

Offline BrianH

• gold
insurance query
« on: December 31, 2014, 02:43:40 PM »
I set out to e-mail this query to the insurance rep direct but I wonder how many others might be interested in the answer?
It is my habit every winter to invite club members to my workshop for turning sessions, sometimes involving instruction. I don't charge but do encourage donations to my charity of choice from my guests. I've relied on the club's AWGB insurance but thankfully never had to use it.
Just what is actually covered and, in the event of a claim, would the fact that we are all members be enough to satisfy or would some form of formal paperwork be required?
I wonder if a short article in Revs might be useful. I'd happily write it if required and the info were supplied.
All the best
Brian

Ryan Davenport AWGB

Re: insurance query
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2014, 02:49:33 PM »
I presume it would cover members in the actual club,
Info regarding insurance is on the AWGB website in the resources section.
I think that it would not cover tuition at home as you'll need public liability cover but this is usually cheap.
Have you done a H&S check / audit to identify dangers etc, is correct PPE being used by everyone (face shield etc), these are all contributing factors.
Any further advise or specifics feel free to ask.
All the best
Ryan

Ryan Davenport AWGB

Ryan Davenport AWGB

« Reply #3 on: December 31, 2014, 02:54:55 PM »

Company Registered Number : 8135399.
Registered Office : 36 Crown Rise, Watford, WD25 0NE.
Registered Charity : 11500255.
www.awgb.co.uk

Risk Assessment – Version 2.0.  25 March 2013

This document contains a sample risk assessment, a blank template and the HSE guidance for Risk Assessments (“Five Steps to Risk Assessment” (www.hse.gov.uk/pubns/indg163.pdf) and the “Principles of Sensible Risk Management” (www.hse.gov.uk/risk/riskmanage.pdf) guidelines.)  You may also be interested to read the “Myth of the Month” pages at the HSE website: www.hse.gov.uk/myth/index.htm

What are the hazards?
Who might be harmed and how?
What are you already doing?
What further action is necessary?
Action by whom?
Actions by when?
Done
Look around your lathe and identify anything that might cause harm
If the risk associated with the hazard occurred what would be the outcome?
Describe your current precautions.
If your current precautions are OK nothing else is required other than to ensure it is still relevant, otherwise what else needs to be done?
Decide will take the action
Decide when it needs doing (also include any period reviews such as “each month” or before each meeting.
Tick it off when you’ve done it.
Power Lead on lathe
Operator or any person in passing could trip over the lead.  Injury could be anything from nothing to broken bones, bruising, cuts depending where the person fell.
Tape lead to floor with hazard tape.
Prevent public access to lathe working area by public/club members.
Operator and club committee
Each meeting
At each meeting
Unlabelled finishes such as sanding sealer
Could be mistaken for something else and used inappropriately, especially if inflammable
Do not decant finishes into other containers or make sure that all containers are clearly labelled with content and safety advice. Replace lid after each use.
Keep out of public reach.
None

Tools
Could be dropped onto operator’s legs/feet causing serious injury.
Wear stout shoes to protect against cuts.
None

Wood comes loose during turning.
Piece of wood could fly into the public area causing injury.
In a public area, provide a safety screen of perspex which must be securely fastened to the lathe bench or a suitable stand in front of the lathe.  On club premises ensure that all seats in front of the lathe are at least 2m away.
Check in place each event
Operator
Each event
Each event
If scorching wood: Wood catching fire.

The person demonstrating, the audience.

Ensure that there are no loose fibres of wood present before scorching starts. Ensure there is a fire extinguisher nearby.

Check in place if this is being undertaken during a demonstration

If scorching wood:  Wood creating smoke.

The person demonstrating, the audience. Setting off Fire Alarms.

The purpose is to scorch the wood and not burn it. If smoke does start – stop and move to another area of scorching. Have a damp cloth nearby to smother any smoke.

Check in place if this is being undertaken during a demonstration

Risk Assessment Template
Risk assessment for (insert Branch name)

What are the hazards?
Who might be harmed and how?
What are you already doing?
What further action is necessary?
Action by whom?
Actions by when?
Done

Date Completed:​By:​

Signed:                                       

AWGB Affiliated Branch and Associated Club Handbook​ Page 3

Ryan Davenport AWGB

« Reply #4 on: December 31, 2014, 02:56:24 PM »

Company Registered Number: 8135399
Registered Office: 36 Crown Rise, Watford, WD25 0NE
Registered Charity 1150255
www.awgb.co.uk

SAFETY IN THE WORKSHOP – AWGB Events

This guidance should be reviewed prior to any AWGB training event with all participants.  The form should be signed and dated by the instructors and retained for audit purposes. 
While the woodturning lathe is arguably the safest of all woodworking machines, there have been instances of serious injury being caused to the operator. The reasons for this can invariably be put down to one of three things

1. Ignorance of the correct techniques (incorrect methods are nearly always dangerous) and safety measures.
2. Taking unnecessary risks.
3. Tiredness or lack of concentration. The well-known saying ‘familiarity breeds contempt’ is particularly relevant to all wood machinists. It must be remembered that all machines can ‘bite’, and most accidents occur through lack of concentration, carelessness, and towards the end of the working day when tiredness has set in. You are advised to stop when you feel tired, or if your mind is so engrossed in something else that it prevents you from applying maximum concentration. Do not operate machinery if under the influence of spam ignore or alcohol.
GENERAL SAFETY
1. Ensure that the lathe is securely bolted down to a good solid bench, in the case of a bench model, and check the tightness of the nuts, including any stand fixings.
2. Insure the electrics are safe - the machine is properly earthed and installed in accordance with the maker’s instructions. If a second hand lathe is acquired, obtain the services of a suitably qualified person to check it over. All appliances used in a public arena should be PAT tested by a suitably qualified person annually.
3. Rubber plugs should be fitted to all woodworking machines.
4. Examine the electric cable from time to time to make sure it is in good order.
5. Isolate the lathe from the mains when changing speeds or applying the ‘test of tightness’. 
ON THE LATHE
1. Check the owner/ operator’s manual for proper speed recommendations. Use slower speeds for larger diameter or rough pieces, and increase speed for smaller diameters and pieces that are balanced. If the lathe is shaking or vibrating, lower the speed. If the work piece vibrates, always stop the machine to check the reason and remedy the fault before continuing.
2. Make certain that the belt guard or cover is in place. Check that all clamping devices (locks), such as on the tailstock and tool rest are tight.
3. Hold turning tools securely on the tool rest, and hold the tool in a controlled but comfortable manner. Always use a slower speed when starting until the work piece is balanced this helps to avoid the possibility of an unbalanced piece jumping out of the lathe and striking the operator.
4. Only run a lathe in reverse if the chuck / faceplate and the spindle have a locking system.
5. Know your capabilities and limits. An experienced woodturner may be capable of techniques and procedures not recommended for beginner turners.
6. When using a faceplate, be certain the work piece is solidly mounted.
7. When turning between centres, be certain the work piece is secure.
8. Do not overreach, keep proper footing and balance at all times.
9. Remove chuck keys and adjusting wrenches. Form a habit of checking for these before switching on lathe.
10. Make sure that there is at least 20mm of tool rest protruding by the end of the wood on which you are working.
11. Stop the lathe when making adjustments to the tool rest.
12. Minimise the downward leverage on the tools by keeping the rest as close as possible to the work piece.
13. Never leave the lathe running unattended. Turn power off. Do not leave the lathe until it comes to a complete stop.
14. Keep lathe in good repair. Check for damaged parts, alignment, binding of moving parts and other conditions that may affect its operation.
15. Stop the lathe before moving the toolrest.
16. Turn the workpiece by hand to ensure that it turns freely before turning on.
17. Always start the lathe at a low speed and increase the speed until it is comfortable to turn.  If in doubt use a slower speed.
18. If using a naked flame such as a blowtorch ensure the workspace is clear of easily combustible items such as sealers, finishes, dust and shavings.  Keep a fire extinguisher nearby.  It is preferable to do this type of operation outside well away from anything that may catch fire.
19. If using any form of power carver always follow the manufacturer’s instructions.  DO NOT use with one hand – always use two hands.  Power carvers are extremely dangerous and when misused and can cause serious injury and/or death.
20. When turning thin walled items DO NOT use an unprotected 240V bulb inside the workpiece.  Use a low voltage LED device or similar. 
DRESS
1. Sensible dress must be worn. Loose, dangling sleeves must be avoided at all costs.
2. Wear a smock, overalls or an apron. All should be high fitting the neck to stop shavings and chippings from finding their way into uncomfortable places.
3. Good strong footwear is also very important. Tools are sometimes dropped or roll off the bench, and can cause nasty wounds if you are shod in trainers or similar footwear.
4. Tie back long hair; do not wear gloves, jewellery or any dangling objects that may catch in rotating parts or accessories.
5. Always use eye protection, preferably use a full face visor.
6. Protect your self from dust using a mask, dust extraction etc.
SHARPENING
1. Position your grinder at a suitable height to suit your stance.  Make sure it is clear of all obstacles.
2. On sharpening - some form of eye protection must always be worn when using the grindstone.
3. Be aware that sparks are a fire risk.  Keep combustible material, including wire wool, away from the grinder.

I/we (the instructors) confirm that we will review this guidance with the students and I/we agree to promote good working practices.

Print name
Signature

Date:

Ryan Davenport AWGB

« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2014, 02:57:39 PM »

Company Registered Number : 8135399.
Registered Office : 36 Crown Rise, Watford, WD25 0NE.
Registered Charity : 11500255.
www.awgb.co.uk

Health and Safety – General Safety Guidance - Version 2.0 – 14.2.2013

A woodturning lathe can be a dangerous piece of workshop equipment in unskilled hands. With attention to the following basic guidelines and careful, methodical, and tidy workshop practice, the incidence of accidents can be drastically reduced.  If in doubt about the safety of any procedure, please seek experienced, or better yet, qualified advice.

1. Safe, effective use of a wood lathe requires study and knowledge of procedures for using this tool. Read and thoroughly understand the label warnings on the lathe and in the owner's/operator's manual.
2. Always wear safety goggles or safety glasses that include side protectors and a full face shield when needed. Wood dust can be harmful to your respiratory system. Use a dust mask or helmet and proper ventilation (dust collection system) in dusty work conditions. Wear hearing protection during extended periods of operation.
3. Tie back long hair, do not wear gloves, loose clothing, jewellery or any dangling objects that may catch in rotating parts or accessories.
4. Check the owner/operator's manual for proper speed recommendations. Use slower speeds for larger diameter or rough pieces and increased speed for smaller diameters and pieces that are balanced. If the lathe is shaking or vibrating, lower the speed. If the workpiece vibrates, always stop the machine to check the reason.
5. Make certain that the belt guard or cover is in place. Check that all clamping devices (locks), such as on the tailstock and toolrest are tight.
6. Rotate your workpiece by hand to make sure it clears the toolrest and bed before turning the lathe "on". Be sure that the workpiece turns freely and is firmly mounted. It is always safest to turn the lathe "off" before adjusting the tool rest.
7. Exercise caution when using stock with cracks, splits, checks, bark, knots, irregular shapes or protuberances.
8. Hold turning tools securely on the toolrest and hold the tool in a controlled but comfortable manner. Always use a slower speed when starting until the workpiece is balanced. This helps avoid the possibility of an unbalanced piece jumping out of the lathe and striking the operator.
9. When running a lathe in reverse, it is possible for a chuck or faceplate to unscrew unless it is securely tightened on the lathe spindle with a locking machine screw.
10. Know your capabilities and limits. An experienced woodturner may be capable of techniques and procedures not recommended for beginning turners.
11. When using a faceplate, be certain the workpiece is solidly mounted. When turning between centres, be certain the workpiece is secure.
12. Always remove the toolrest before sanding or polishing operations.
13. Don't overreach, keep proper footing and balance at all times.
14. Keep lathe in good repair. Check for damaged parts, alignment, binding of moving parts and other conditions that may affect its operation.
15. Keep tools sharp and clean for better and safer performance. Wear eye protection when sharpening. Don't force a blunt tool. Don't use a tool for a purpose not intended. Keep tools out of reach of children. Do not be tempted to use modified tools, such as converted files.
16. Consider your work environment. Don't use lathe in damp or wet locations. Do not use in presence of flammable liquids or gases. Keep work area well lit.
17. Stay alert. Watch what you are doing, use common sense. Don't operate tool when you are tired or under the influence of spam ignore or alcohol.
18. Guard against electric shock. Inspect electric cables regularly for damage. Avoid the use of extension cables. The power outlet supplying the lathe should, for safety, be fitted with RCD protection.
19. Remove chuck keys and adjusting spanners. Form a habit of checking for these before switching on the lathe.
20. Never leave the lathe running unattended. Turn power off. Don't leave the lathe until it comes to a complete stop.

Ryan Davenport AWGB

« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2014, 02:58:47 PM »
The above should hopefully help in regards to safety requirements etc.
Let me know if I can help further.

Offline BrianH

• gold
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2014, 03:02:03 PM »
It doesn't actually mention it in that synopsis but I have always understood that club-endorsed activities are covered as well as actual meetings. I'm sure someone will put us right but you can see why I threw the matter out for discussion.
Brian

Ryan Davenport AWGB

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2014, 03:06:02 PM »
Better to be safe than sorry, especially in the sad old "I'll sue you" world we live in, an accident is an accident it's not done on purpose!
   I think the last time I checked for myself public liability for me was going to cost £4 a month which was cover up to 2000000, worth getting a quote just to see.
Preventions better than cure, as they say.

Ryan Davenport AWGB

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2014, 03:08:51 PM »
I'm guessing the best person to ask would be:

Development & Training
Peter Bradwick
Trustee
Tel: 01633 873640
development@awgb.co.uk

Offline Paul Hannaby

• platinum
    • Creative Woodturning
« Reply #10 on: January 01, 2015, 02:13:04 AM »
The AWGB no longer has an insurance officer - which is you will find no reference to one. If you have queries relating to the club insurance, you should contact Tennyson. the contact details are on the insurance page.

Ryan Davenport AWGB

« Reply #11 on: January 01, 2015, 12:07:29 PM »
Tom Callingham
Tennyson Insurance,
Telephone: 01243 832048
e-mail: Tom.Callingham@tennysoninsurance.co.uk
tennysoninsurance.co.uk

Offline TONY MALIN

• gold
  • Rugby Warwickshire
« Reply #12 on: January 01, 2015, 01:19:13 PM »
Our club is still using the Craftsman Policy via i W Wallace. The Public Liability element includes member to member cover anywhere in the UK. It also covers a non member receiving supervised tuition. The trouble is in the actual wording which does not spell out the example given.

To be sure of being covered it seems sensible to establish that the event is a club function.

It will be interesting to find out what Tennyson have to say.

Ryan Davenport AWGB

« Reply #13 on: January 01, 2015, 01:22:05 PM »
Yes please keep us updated, would be interesting to see what/who is actually covered.
I presume none members would have some form or something to sign, (legal issues these days)

Offline TONY MALIN

• gold
  • Rugby Warwickshire
« Reply #14 on: January 01, 2015, 02:39:57 PM »
A non member is a member of the public, hence the term public liability.