Author Topic: Oak & Elm  (Read 5203 times)

Offline woodndesign

• platinum
  • Cannock Staffordshire
Re: Oak & Elm
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2014, 08:10:25 PM »

I do so like the Elm, beautiful rich dark color, almost full burr given the size. It's not unusual to find them with even richer diverse colors, even a shade of green or purples, could be due to the location grown, not seen such a nice piece myself lately, that most don't make it pass hedge sticks, small size growth before they die again sadly.

The Oak such a stunning warm piece, elegant flowing from and soft color.

Can't fault either... as there ear marked as gifts .. no chance ..

Cheers  David

"It was the best of times, it was the worst of times,"  By Dickens ''''

Offline The Bowler Hatted Turner

• platinum
« Reply #16 on: November 26, 2014, 09:06:21 AM »
Hi Tony & Di.
        I like the Oak one but even though the Elm is a nicely executed piece I don't really like it. Probably because I have never been a fan of roll overs. I always think they look like dog bowls I'm afraid. Marmite indeed! :D :D :D

Offline georg

• TONY & DI
  • platinum
    • Anthony George
« Reply #17 on: November 26, 2014, 04:27:35 PM »

Thank You David...... Large Elms especially with burrs are as you say getting harder to find. The one used for this piece
  was only a baby burr.... This photo is mummy bear I am waiting for someone who wants a rather large bowl its 42 inches

Tony di

Thank you John... realise its not to every ones taste ... do like turning them though maybe its the Adrenaline Rush
 They were made for my sister who is a bit older than me and about 60years ago I learned not to argue, that is unless
 i wanted a clip round lughole, nowadays I do as I`m told ;D ;D
 Tony di

"If you always do what you always done, you always get what you always got" 

http://www.anthonygeorge.net/